TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Can you take medication on the plane without a prescription? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t30132-can-you-take-medication-plane-without-prescription/)

Khadra November 16th 2009 06:24 AM

Can you take medication on the plane without a prescription?

So, I usually just get my birth control from the clinic and I realized that this may be a problem taking it onto the plane as it's just generic packaging without my name or anything on it. Am I going to be able to take it on the plane like that or do I need to get a doctor's note or something?

.Brittany. November 16th 2009 03:04 PM

Re: Can you take medication on the plane without a prescription?

Hi Kathlene,

Yes you are allowed to bring birth control onto the flight with you. Even if it doesn't have your name on it. Just don't put it into your checked luggage, no pills should be put in your checked baggage. Keep it all in your carry on.

Have fun!
Brittany

Prozac November 16th 2009 03:21 PM

I should think that it will be fine. I've taken prescription medication (out of it's box/without my name on) in my luggage (both hand and hold) multiple times without any problems. If you're very worried then you could always check with the airport. There's usually a list of travel restrictions on the website too. However, from past experience, I don't think that this should be a problem to you and you shouldn't need a doctor's note.

Enjoy your trip :)

iHEAVENn November 16th 2009 06:28 PM

You can take medications on a plane.
We took my sons vitamins with us, then on our way back brought some childrens cough medicine along with the vitamins and had no problems. (The cough medicine was open, and we didn't have the box. Just placed it in a ziplock bag)

Toast November 17th 2009 01:56 AM

You should probably be fine as long as it is in the original container, and not just a blank container with a mysterious substance in it. I have prescription medication(although I bring it in the little bottles with my name on it) and I've never been asked about it, but it may be a good idea to bring along a doctor's note or something just to be safe. No terrorists have brought explosives disguised as medication yet, so you should be fine. :p

Kate* November 17th 2009 01:37 PM

It should be fine to bring it as long as they can tell that it isn't an unknown substance and it isn't a liquid.

Bibliophile November 17th 2009 03:15 PM

I will say, it depends on where you're going. I needed a prescription when travelling to india. However, I doubt you will with birth control.
Check with the airline. :)