TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Travel and Moving Whether you're going somewhere new for a few days or packing up your bags to relocate permanently, gain insight on various parts of the world from other users who have been there before!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 1st 2010, 12:32 PM

My boyfriend and I are trying to plan to go to Amsterdam. Has anyone here been there? I'm trying to get some advice on where to stay, what type of accommodation, places to visit, things like that!

I've done a little bit of research, but anyones personal experience would be handy. I need to try and learn myself some dutch so I can talk to people there, that'll be interesting!

We can more than likely get cheap flights over there, I think we're planning to go in the middle of May, some time. I've been recommended to stay in a Hostel, because I doubt we'd be inside much. What with all the museums and such.

Basically! I'd really appreciate a bit of advice for travelling to Amsterdam, and any other useful travel information you could tell me.

Thank youuuu

(#2 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 1st 2010, 10:07 PM

3 words. red light district

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 1st 2010, 10:55 PM

It depends on which part of Amsterdam you'll be staying in however, dutch people generally are quite good at speaking English, and if someone doesn't understand, it's likely there will be someone nearby who does speak English.

The train and tram system is awesome, and they are rarely late, so be sure to get to the train/bus/tram station on time.

There is heaps to see and do and such, so I'm not going to list it all, however Scheveningen seaside is very nice, it has sculptures on the seafront and stuff, and is not far from central Amsterdam by train, and also the minature world place Madurodam is cool, if you're into that kind of thing. Oh, and the Dutch do not have the queueing skills that british people have, if you're in a queue, people will shove infront of you, so stand your ground.

Amsterdam is an awesome place, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Anyway, if you have any questions about Amsterdam and the Nederlands, feel free to drop me a message, I've been there enough times :P

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 5th 2010, 01:51 AM

Dutch people are SO nice and helpful, you'll have no trouble at all!

My friend and I are going to Holland for a bit this summer, and I think we're stopping in Amsterdam. We're staying with some of her relatives, and then when we get to Amsterdam, we're staying in her uncle's spare house(yeah...spare house..), and we're going to try couchsurfing a few days with someone we don't know.

A hostel would probably be the safest bet though, Amsterdam has quite an abundance of them to pick from.

skydiversinreverse

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 6th 2010, 04:36 AM

I'm 50% Dutch, and according to my relatives there the Dutch people have to learn English as well as Dutch because they are such a small country. Everyone seems to associate pot with Amsterdam but when I was there I didn't see a single person smoking it.

I think it's a very beautiful city and I'd recommend taking a boat tour if you're interested. Don't rent a car because they parallel park their cars less than a foot away from the canals(no fence) haha. Apparently they have a special department in their fire department just for fishing cars out of the canals.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: I'm planning a trip To Amsterdam! - March 6th 2010, 05:37 AM

Look up City Hotel on Google. I stayed there last summer with friends and they were really nice. It's a cheap hotel, without being a hostel. I pretyy central which is good.
I'd recommend buying food from supermarkets if you can and making food to travel around with some days, because it's quite expensive to eat out. Also, from the supermarket you can get a tram pass, that allows you so many rides on the tram (ask someone there to explain it to you properly) it's a nice quick and cheap way to get around.
Have fun!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread