TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

April 4th 2014, 05:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as containing spoilers. The contents of this thread might therefore describe important elements of a storyline that could ruin it for you. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I just saw this today and loved it! They stuck to the book really well and even though I had doubts about who they cast for Tris and Four, the acting was really good.

One thing I did think though is that if I hadn't read the books I probably would have been a bit confused during some points in the film. Does anyone else think that too? Or if you're someone who hasn't read the books did you find the movie easy enough to follow?

Another thing I forgot to add...I don't think they did a very good job at showing the relationships between Tris, Christina and Will. The fact that Christina and Will were dating wasn't highlighted AT ALL and in the next book that had consequences for Tris and Christina's friendship after Tris killed him so I think that's going to affect the next movie if they suddenly bring it up that Christina and Will were dating :/

Last edited by Jack Lowden; April 7th 2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Divergent Movie - April 6th 2014, 10:45 PM

I also saw it recently, and didn't really like it. I agree that Christina and Will's relationship was almost nonexistent, though I think I saw them kissing in one scene. Which was pretty weird and out-of-context in the movie, because A) no one points it out or says anything and B) Christina had never mentioned liking him at all, or showed any feelings towards him, and C) his character (and Christina's) were pretty much not there in the movie. Tris' friends (Al, Christina, Will, Uriah and the other Dauntless-born initiates, and Four) play a large role in the book. They don't in the movie. Tris and Christina's friendship is there, but is not as prominent as it was in the book. Tobias and Tris' relationship is there, obviously, but seems a little more random and out-of-the-blue. Also, there's no response to it at all. Christina might bring it up once or twice, but other than that no one really asks questions. But the tension and friendships between all the initiates are barely there at all. I feel like the movie cut out a lot of that stuff and kept all the action and most of the romance between Tris and Tobias.

Also, Tris' reaction to Al killing himself really bothered me. In the book, she is devastated, and was much closer to Al. In the movie, specifically during the kidnapping scene, I was having trouble remembering who Al was, because their frienship was like nonexistent. And it drove me crazy that Tris was upset over his suicide for about a minute, and then Tobias tells her it wasn't her fault, and she's fine. She brings it up maybe once (I don't remember if she does or not... maybe?). Wouldn't you be extremely upset if a close friend killed themselves? Wouldn't it take a little more than a comforting word from your sort-of boyfriend to make you feel better?

One last thing. The close-ups. The whole movie was like a super close up of someone's face. Oh. My. God. I get it. Shailene Woodley can act. While her face is fascinating, I would have like to see a little more of the scenes and other people and a little less staring up Tris' or Tobias' nose.

Anyway, to sum it up, it A) had underdeveloped characters, B) had too much action, not enough emotion, and C) had too many close ups. Other than that it was good. On the bright side, the acting was great, it followed the book, and it was fun to watch.

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Divergent Movie - April 6th 2014, 11:28 PM

Personally, I didn't like it all that much. I was more pleased with it then I thought I was going to be which was a surprise.

I thought that if someone went into it who hadn't read the books would have been confused.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Divergent Movie - April 7th 2014, 12:55 AM

I loved the movie. I thought they did a great job being accurate to the book compared to most movie adaptions & I thought everyone was casted well. I was a bit disappointed that they changed a couple lines that made it a bit corny or that they didn't show some relationships very well, but I still loved it overall. I'm just hoping that in the next couple of movies, they don't make any love triangles, considering there weren't any in the book but they seem to be popular in movies these days.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
revolved Offline
so we kiss the dust goodbye
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nadia

Re: Divergent Movie - April 16th 2014, 12:16 AM

Personally, I didn't like how they acted out the fear landscapes. Tobias was teaching Tris how to get through his landscape instead of her guiding him. Tris' fear of intimacy was made apparent with an attempted rape scene. That scene could've caused serious distress within someone, and I don't think that twist was needed.

Closed Thread