TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18

Unhappy Talking to my doctor? - April 28th 2015, 03:41 AM

Ok so a bit of background information first. I have been feeling really sad and lost interest in a lot of activities. I have also been not eating or sleeping well, now ive done tests online and they all say i have depression, also i have friends who say i have it.

So im just wondering how do i go about talking to my doctor about this and getting diagnosed? The last time i went to see him was about a year ago or more. And at that time he dissmissed my depression because i was smiling, i really dont want a repeat of last time, so any advice on how to get a proper diagnosis, or advice from someone who has talked to their doctor about this type of stuff?

Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rainbow Cookies Offline
Geek and proud
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emma

Points: 5,787, Level: 11 Points: 5,787, Level: 11 Points: 5,787, Level: 11

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 28th 2015, 03:50 AM

I know that this isn't actually any help but I just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel and I'm having the same problem. Well good luck
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59 Points: 172,466, Level: 59

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 28th 2015, 04:03 AM

Hi,

I am so sorry that your doctor dismissed your concerns just because you were smiling. That really wasn't right, because as I am sure you know, even someone with depression can have good days where they smile sometimes, or they can fake a smile to convince people that they are okay, and that mask can be hard to take off, even for professionals.

Do you think it would help to get a second opinion from a different doctor if possible? Someone else may listen to your concerns more.

Maybe you can keep a journal of how you are feeling. Write down what you are feeling and going through on a daily basis in this, so you can show this to the doctor and use it as a bit of backup. Alternatively, if it is easier to explain things in writing, you can write a note.

If they start in saying that you're smiling and not depressed, maybe remind them of the things I said above, that you can still have good days or put on a fake smile. You can even be honest with them and tell them that they aren't taking you seriously and you don't appreciate that.

In general, be as honest as possible. The more details you give, the better they will be able to evaluate the situation.

I basically told my doctor what I'd been feeling and what I'd done to cope.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hidden11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,140, Level: 10 Points: 5,140, Level: 10 Points: 5,140, Level: 10

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 29th 2015, 06:28 PM

Just be completely honest, and don't try and break any awkward tension during the talk with smiling or humor, just be 100% honest about how you feel. Also, Don't try and focus so much on getting diagnosed, if the doctors wont help, Keep on the search for things that help you feel better. That's what really matters.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18 Points: 15,637, Level: 18

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 29th 2015, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will set up an appointment with my docor for next week and will just be honest with him
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 30th 2015, 02:40 AM

It sounds like your doctors fucking stupid... If you know your depressed, don't leave until he agrees to help you. If that doesn't work, try a different doctor.
I smiled all the time when I was depressed. It was just a mask.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26 Points: 33,939, Level: 26

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 30th 2015, 03:08 AM

I tried telling my doctor once, didn't have the best experience. Be honest with them about all your symptoms, don't be surprised if they push medication on you, most medical doctors will immediately jump to that as your answer, remember you don't have to take it if you don't want to. If you want a second opinion or a full evaluation, go to a mental health professional. They're better trained in diagnosing mental health problems and most won't immediately throw pills at you. For the record, I'm not anti-meds, just anti-meds as the first resort unless it's a disorder that absolutely needs medication.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
L4Y Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11 Points: 6,489, Level: 11

Re: Talking to my doctor? - April 30th 2015, 05:45 PM

Dez offered some wonderful advice. Best wishes to you and I hope everything goes well at your appointment next week.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
12345cb Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Casey

Points: 5,573, Level: 11 Points: 5,573, Level: 11 Points: 5,573, Level: 11

Re: Talking to my doctor? - May 1st 2015, 03:08 AM

Just explain to your doctor the same thing you just explained, say that you've had a change in mood and you're worried. Your doctor will most likely suggest you see a therapist, and they might also check your vitamin d levels because many times depression is linked to vitamin d deficiency. Keep in mind, many people deal with depression so you shouldn't feel uncomfortable talking with your doctor about it, I'm sure you won't be the first.
It is very good that you want help because the first step to getting better is wanting to get better. I hope all goes well, feel better soon :-)
Closed Thread