TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27 Points: 37,084, Level: 27

havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 13th 2015, 04:57 PM

Don't know if this should go to the anxiety forum so feel free to move it.

I'm terrified of going to the doctor but I think it is about time I finally get a checkup.

After my oldest sister revealed to me that she was diagnosed with PCOS and that there's cancers that run in our family as well as under active thyroid and sickle cell. And I mean I've been having digestive problems since childhood but because I wasn't taken to the doctor regularly I was just known as the one with the "sensitive stomach". I'm usually someone who isn't picky with food. I tend to eat whatever is on my plate. But the last few years I've been trying g to eat consciously especially because I realize that my digestive problems isn't a childhood thing unlike what grownups thought, who would often dismiss my pains as such something I'll outgrow or idk.

I'm also 21 years old and never had a test for hypothyroidism even though both my mom and aunt had that condition and it started in their teens for them.

I know I'm lactose intolerant for sure and I havent had any dairy for a few weeks. But I think eggs is bothering me too. I don't know anymore. I'm also eating mostly vegetables and rice. Sometimes fish. And perhaps too much fruits. I don't even know.

I understand where my dadbut I'm also upset with him because unless we are dying, he ignores whati or my sisters say about how we feel. He does that to himself too. He hasn't been to the doctor in maybe 30 years.

Now I have to pick up the pieces and last time I went to the dentist I was scolded and told I should have "known better" because for my age I should know the proper way to keep dental hygiene. But no one taught me these things.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Mrs.Butterfly Offline
WingedWarrior
Average Joe

Name: Sarah

Points: 7,814, Level: 12 Points: 7,814, Level: 12 Points: 7,814, Level: 12

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 13th 2015, 05:28 PM

Hi.

Trust me, I know how you feel. I think you are in the right. It's normal to be anxious about going to the doctor after so long. I would be too. But it'd be good for a check up; especially after what you heard from your sister. Just to be safe. Tell the doctor your concerns and just be open about it. Your dad is in the wrong. I'm sorry but he is. He shouldn't be acting that way at all.

And, on the dentist matter. It's GOOD that you went. It shows proper hygenie. And that you want to take care of yourself. It was so wrong for them to scold you. Sorry that happened.

Go for it. You got this.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 13th 2015, 05:37 PM

Hey there,

I know that feeling! My upbringing was the same: unless it was something serious, I never went to the doctors. And self-care and hygiene wasn't taught to me when I was younger and is something I still struggle with. It's very natural to be anxious doing something that you haven't done in a long time, even if it's going to the doctors (I'm the same by the way).

It's really good that you are aware of these things and feel the need to do something about it. It may be a good opportunity for you to talk things through with your doctor and maybe get some tests done. At least this way, your mind can be put to rest, and if there are any health issues, at least you can get treatment. It might help to keep a food diary of what you eat and when your symptoms flare up to show the doctor. It may seem scary but doctors are there to help you, and they wont judge you. I'm sorry you got scolded when you went to the dentist though. You didn't deserve that at all. Remember, you are doing this for your health and that you deserve to be looking after yourself because you are worth it.

Take care

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 13th 2015, 06:39 PM

As I got older I kind of learned to do the same thing, unless I was completely miserable or something wouldn't go away, I didn't got to the doctor a lot either and my dentist used to yell at me because I couldn't stand the scraping (turns out I'm hypersensitive to more than just that so I screamed for a reason.)

Anyway, I know you're afraid of what might be wrong, but if something is going on, it's going to be wrong whether you know about it or not; at least this way you can get treatment if you need it. I was also going to suggest a food diary and they might suggest trying a nutritionist.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 16th 2015, 11:59 PM

Thank you all if you. I planned to call a few days ago but things kept coming up (first day sister was on the phone for hours, second day I forgot, third day-today: I called too early in the morning and got an answering machine to leave a message to which I didn't do. I'll call again Monday . Maybe I'll borrow my dad's cell phone so I can call at school since I'll be out from 6:30am-7pm. For now I'll try keeping a food diary. My question is, should I first keep a food diary for at least a month or should I make an appointment and let the doc know I'm starting a food diary. Will the doctor get to make a follow up or is that against insurance policy? I have Healthfirst Medicaid Managed Care. Thank you again.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26 Points: 33,886, Level: 26

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 17th 2015, 12:46 AM

Start the food diary now and schedule the appointment sooner rather than later. Chances are, if you're going to them as a new patient, it will be a while before your first appointment (once you're in their system it won't take nearly as long). If you start it now, you'll have something to show them regardless of when you manage to get in.

I don't know how exactly Medicaid works, but you should have a reasonable amount of appointments covered per year, especially if the doctor decides you need one because something is going on.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Re: havent been to the doctor in years. scared but seems important. - October 23rd 2015, 01:40 PM

Thank you all of you. I called yesterday and made an appointment for this coming Tuesdsy
Closed Thread