TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

A part of the film Pay It Forward is making me uncomfortable - June 25th 2017, 10:25 AM

This thread has been labeled as containing spoilers. The contents of this thread might therefore describe important elements of a storyline that could ruin it for you. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Spoiler alert-
-
-
-
-
-
'
'
-
-
-
'
Psst down here. Cozy, isn't it? Okay now that you're here.....I like the concept of Pay it Forward. How can someone not?

There's this idea though that Trevor has, that's bothering me a bit. Like pressuring his teacher and mother to be in a relationship together and calling it "helping" To me, it seemed selfish. The teacher said he wasn't ready. I think it is important to respect choices without pressuring him and saying because of you my mom is going to be in a worse domestic violence situation and because the teacher grew up in a domestic violence situation, he feels compelled to rescue the mother and child. I think that's like a guilt tripping tactic or something. That's not a good deed, to kiss someone on the lips. Even if you like them back and are holding back, that's still your choice.

What are your thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: A part of the film Pay It Forward is making me uncomfortable - July 1st 2017, 09:27 PM

Hey, Susie, I've seen Pay it Forward and actually thought you were referring to a different part of the movie. Like you, I didn't like this whole plotline either. While I understand the boy was trying to help the ones he love, he should have stayed out of it especially when it came to his mother and teacher. Didn't his mother live a bit of a promiscuous lifestyle? If I remember correctly, I think she did. When I first saw it, the teacher kind of gave me the creeps and like you said, there's the possibility of him becoming abusive.

What's worse is the ending, when....
The boy died.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: A part of the film Pay It Forward is making me uncomfortable - July 1st 2017, 10:00 PM

Which part did you think I was referring to?

Yes she was struggling with alcoholism and but not really promiscuous. She had 2 jobs and in both she would be somewhat flirtatious I guess. I think she wasn't ready to be thrusted into a relationship.

Trevor thought it was helping the teacher because he had burns and didn't seem to have experience with women. Trevor guilt tripped the teacher into going out with his mom by saying that if the teacher didn't step in, Trevor's bio father would stick around and the cycle would repeat itself. The teacher maybe could have referred Trevor to a guidance counselor or school social worker but to go along with the plan was just weird. The teacher can't stop the father from being abusive and taking the father's place because he decided to be in a relationship on his own will is one thing but to assume that it can be an altruistic act to save Trevor from the father coming back? He is acting out from a place of trauma from his childhood with his own abusive father and maybe a way to reconcile his inner demons
And yeah the last scene was very sad

Closed Thread