TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Atypical - September 5th 2017, 12:48 AM

I just finished the first season of Atypical on Netflix and was wondering if anyone else has watched it. If not, I definitely recommend you check it out! The characters are all really complex and easy to relate to. Even some of the side characters don't just have one side to them. I could explain better but I don't want to spoil anything.
But yeah, I thought it was great.

For those who don't know, the show is about a high-functioning boy on the autism spectrum and how he goes about life and trying to adapt to a normal teenage experience. However, each of his family members also has a compelling backstory and internal struggle going on, which makes it a lot more interesting.
I'll admit, parts of it are uncomfortable and hard to watch. I've never really taken the term of "ableism" too seriously, but I think there's obviously some sort of privilege that comes with the pure luck of being born healthy and without disorders or disabilities. It's awful, but it's just the cards we're dealt in life. So seeing a depiction of someone with autism really makes the viewer realize how lucky he or she is to not even have to think about some of the things people on the spectrum might have to think about.

It also made me realize that maybe I should work on being more aware of my vocabulary and the words I use to express certain things. The term "autism" or "autistic" is often used immaturely to describe things that are really stupid or as an insult. Using that is like using gay as an insult, and while I probably won't stop using either, it does make me feel more mindful about who I use it around and when. I'm going to take this discomfort in knowing that I use a slang term that could offend some people, and try to practice expanding my vocabulary instead.

What are your thoughts on the show and did you get anything out of it?
(Also, of course I know that anything produced in the media for entertainment never truly depicts the reality of things like this to the full extent. I'm sure living with autism could be very different than what this show depicts.)

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Atypical - September 6th 2017, 10:52 AM

I am diagnosed with Asperger's --but there are some doubts about that as I got a second opinion.

Spoiler Alert-

Anyways, I watched the show. It was very good- it was one of the only shows about autism that didn't portray autistic people as some sort of tragedy- and it showed that people with this have the same desire to have romantic relationships as anyone else.

That said, much of it was very exaggerated. I've never experienced the degree of not being able to pick up on social cues or understanding boundaries that the character did (ie. what he did with the strawberries). I just have a little bit of a hard time knowing what to say sometimes or reading expressions. I never have meltdowns like he did in the bus, and generally loud sounds or music do not bother me at all. I'm sure some people who are more severe have it like that- but for a lot of people, Asperger's/HFA is a lot more subtle. I don't think anyone other than my parents is aware that I am diagnosed with this.

The only thing that really annoys me is the "tragedy" view that many people have of autism. I find that somewhat offensive- and am glad the show didn't do too much of that-except for that one scene where the woman mentioned her son's autism at dinner with the dad's coworkers - and everyone stopped eating for a bit and was like "oh im so sorry ....thats horrible ..." as if knowing that he had autism completely changed their perspective of him...I hate stuff like that--it seems like most "autism awareness" stuff today has a lot of that sort of flavor to it; and honestly, it makes me feel uncomfortable and stigmatized more than anything else. Like when "normal" people do these autism awareness charities and start talking about autistic people in very stereotypical and negative terms, it makes me uneasy and worried that they can "tell" - and if they think less of me if they can.

I feel like there is a lot of negative awareness of this condition that contributes to this stigma. Like, I hear everyone talking about their ADHD or OCD. There just isn't as much stigma associated with those conditions, and so people are more comfortable talking about them. Sure, there still is some stigma- but there just isn't as much, and it's not stigmatized in the same way. People have a much dimmer view of Asperger's/autism, like it is on a different level and that everyone diagnosed with those must be obviously disabled or something. Most of the time people bring up Asperger's, it is very negative. I feel people will think less of me or treat me in a patronizing voice if I mention having been diagnosed.

Last edited by Proud90sKid; September 6th 2017 at 11:22 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Atypical - September 6th 2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
I am diagnosed with Asperger's --but there are some doubts about that as I got a second opinion.

Spoiler Alert-

Anyways, I watched the show. It was very good- it was one of the only shows about autism that didn't portray autistic people as some sort of tragedy- and it showed that people with this have the same desire to have romantic relationships as anyone else.

That said, much of it was very exaggerated. I've never experienced the degree of not being able to pick up on social cues or understanding boundaries that the character did (ie. what he did with the strawberries). I just have a little bit of a hard time knowing what to say sometimes or reading expressions. I never have meltdowns like he did in the bus, and generally loud sounds or music do not bother me at all. I'm sure some people who are more severe have it like that- but for a lot of people, Asperger's/HFA is a lot more subtle. I don't think anyone other than my parents is aware that I am diagnosed with this.

The only thing that really annoys me is the "tragedy" view that many people have of autism. I find that somewhat offensive- and am glad the show didn't do too much of that-except for that one scene where the woman mentioned her son's autism at dinner with the dad's coworkers - and everyone stopped eating for a bit and was like "oh im so sorry ....thats horrible ..." as if knowing that he had autism completely changed their perspective of him...I hate stuff like that--it seems like most "autism awareness" stuff today has a lot of that sort of flavor to it; and honestly, it makes me feel uncomfortable and stigmatized more than anything else. Like when "normal" people do these autism awareness charities and start talking about autistic people in very stereotypical and negative terms, it makes me uneasy and worried that they can "tell" - and if they think less of me if they can.

I feel like there is a lot of negative awareness of this condition that contributes to this stigma. Like, I hear everyone talking about their ADHD or OCD. There just isn't as much stigma associated with those conditions, and so people are more comfortable talking about them. Sure, there still is some stigma- but there just isn't as much, and it's not stigmatized in the same way. People have a much dimmer view of Asperger's/autism, like it is on a different level and that everyone diagnosed with those must be obviously disabled or something. Most of the time people bring up Asperger's, it is very negative. I feel people will think less of me or treat me in a patronizing voice if I mention having been diagnosed.
Do you, personally, feel that it's worth watching or does the exaggeration take away from it and cause misrepresentation? I've been curious about the show but I've been hesitant to watch it because I don't know how accurate the rep is.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Atypical - September 6th 2017, 04:27 PM

^^ It's a funny show. It's worth watching for that reason. Some of it was very exaggerated , but it didn't really take away from it that much. There were enough side plots and stuff to keep you interested too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Atypical - September 6th 2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
^^ It's a funny show. It's worth watching for that reason. Some of it was very exaggerated , but it didn't really take away from it that much. There were enough side plots and stuff to keep you interested too.
Good to know. I might look into watching it at some point then.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread