TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - October 31st 2017, 04:37 PM

I went and spoke to my doctor about my issues with my anger and she gave me a card to ring it has NHS on the side of it with a phone number. I think it's to apply to for NHS counselling but I've never done this before I'm nervous to ring it what happens when you ring it what do I say etc.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - October 31st 2017, 07:02 PM

I am not in the UK so I can't say for certain how it works exactly. However, usually when I am calling to get in a counselor, they will take some information over the phone to determine what services I need and if they can provide those services. From there, they will schedule an appointment and they will either ask that I come to the appointment 20-30 minutes early so I can fill out paperwork or they will send me the paperwork in the mail. The paperwork is usually something to determine more of the problem areas and things we need to work on.

I would assume that the NHS will have a similar process such as trying to figure out what your needs are, if they have a counselor available to help you and so on. Usually, the initial phone call is relatively laid back and simple since they are just gathering information.

I hope someone else will come along and provide you with more, NHS specific information. I hope you will, at least, consider giving them a call.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - October 31st 2017, 10:38 PM

I've not gone through the NHS for counselling, but I imagine that as said above, calling them would mean they would take some basic details (name, contact details, reasons for counselling etc). You may get put on a waiting list (anywhere between weeks to months, depending on where you are and how long the waiting list may be) but if it's through the NHS it should be free. They'll probably contact you nearer the time when and where you can have counselling and who your counsellor may be.

It's understandable to be nervous. If you don't know what to say you can just say that you were referred by your doctor for help dealing with your anger, and they should be able to take it from there.

Well done for talking to your doctor, and hope you take the next step and give the counsellors a call

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - November 2nd 2017, 11:43 AM

Hi Holly

I am not sure if it's counselling but it's like a little card you know like a business card? Do you get what I mean? The little card says feeling low feeling stressed feeling worried and it has a little number on it at the bottom it has NHS.

I am guessing this is a card to apply for counselling I told my doctor about my issues and she said I should call this number I really want to call it but I keep putting off as I am really shy when I know it will help me for the better also I have to go on a waiting list I would imagine so the quicker I call the better but I am just so dam shy.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - November 2nd 2017, 01:46 PM

You are right that the sooner you call the number, the sooner you can get put on the waiting list and get help. But I understand shyness gets in the way.

Maybe try writing down what you want to say and practice saying it first? Alternatively, maybe you can get a parent or a friend to give them a call. They'll still need to speak to you, but it can help to have that little push into starting the conversation. Or, maybe look up the number online and see if they have a website or an email address that you could use to contact them instead?

Remember that it's okay to be nervous and the person taking your call will understand. I'm sure many people taking their first steps and calling will be nervous, so the person taking the call will have plenty of experience dealing with nervous callers

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - November 3rd 2017, 01:17 PM

Hi Holly
I rang the number shortly after I responded to your post yesterday. They have put me on a waiting list and I have a call next week I believe.

Thanks for the help.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Sceard to ring the NHS counselling phone number which my doctor gave me - November 3rd 2017, 11:38 PM

Well done for calling the number! Glad to hear that you're on the waiting list and hope that everything goes smoothly. Since the issue has been resolved, I'll go ahead and close your thread, but if you want to re-open it, feel free to PM me

Closed Thread