TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Series they shouldn't continue - December 27th 2017, 07:52 PM

Do you think there are some series that shouldn't be continued or shouldn't have been anyway? I feel like Outlander should have been finished with season 2, because it's just perfect like that (I promised I wouldn't watch any new episodes and I haven't) same with 13 reasons why, which is current rumoured to continue but I will always think of it as Hannahs' story, which is won't be if it has a new series and will probably make it all about Clay and be more like "another 13 reasons why" which is lame so yeah.

I'm fine on most shows being continued or revamped, but there are some things that really need to be left as they are

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 28th 2017, 12:29 AM

I was never a fan of Degrassi, but I really feel it is just, from what others tell me they need to bring new actors in and create stories but they seem to be the same as the original. I felt this show went on and on.

Another, a very classic one that should have been put to rest... a long time ago. Days of Our Lives. I watched this show as a kid and I enjoyed, but it was twisted and weird. No idea what they are doing now. It's like General Hospital, but Days of Our Lives felt like it should end a long time ago, I mean it was aired in 1965 and they are on season 53, that just seems like a forever neverending show.

I can't think of any other shows. I might later and will come back.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 28th 2017, 12:52 PM

Degrassi
Grey's Anatomy
Law and Order: SVU (It's still decent but I lost interest when Christopher Meloni (Stabler) left. Him and Mariska Hargitay were great on screen and I don't think they've been able to capture that 'chemistry' since)
Criminal minds
NCIS

I think with a number of these they kept going despite certain things because of their popularity which makes sense. Most of these shows are still doing good and probably will for a while. However, I hate when they run a series too long and favorite characters leave and storyline change too much and the new characters aren't as engaging. The longer a series goes the more likely this is to happen.

I think the only long running series I've enjoyed quite a bit despite characters leaving and what not is ER.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 29th 2017, 09:09 PM

I thought i'd say murder, she wrote, since Angie has said she wouldn't play that role again and it wouldn't be the same with someone else.
Soap Opheras are very generational in that some people may grow up with them, while others weren't even alive in their earlier days. I have seen earlier episodes of coronation street and the 1970s were definately kept more simple but the 21st century will always be about the drama and emotional issues
But As The World Turns DID end so it proves that even soaps are not invincible haa

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 30th 2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmatters View Post
I thought i'd say murder, she wrote, since Angie has said she wouldn't play that role again and it wouldn't be the same with someone else.
Soap Opheras are very generational in that some people may grow up with them, while others weren't even alive in their earlier days. I have seen earlier episodes of coronation street and the 1970s were definately kept more simple but the 21st century will always be about the drama and emotional issues
But As The World Turns DID end so it proves that even soaps are not invincible haa
A few years back there were other soap operas that ended. The one I remember most is All My Children. It had been on air for 41 years when it ended. I think they did try and get it started on and online channel or something but I don't think it worked.

Like any show, they stay around as long as they are making money and I believe with some of the soap opera's, people weren't watching them like they did so the channels decided to stop running them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 31st 2017, 02:48 AM

As much as I love it, I feel like Supernatural should have ended a long time ago. Same with NCIS, and it's getting to that point with Criminal Minds as well. The only thing I dislike more than a show being cancelled before its time is a show that keeps going just because it's popular. I hate losing interest in shows, but it happens if too many of the original characters leave or if the storylines become too convoluted or constrained.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 31st 2017, 02:54 AM

My parents were obsessed with NCIS. But I lost interest, same with SVU.

To be honest I feel as if after a crucial character gets pregnant the show goes downhill and gets canceled a season or two later.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 31st 2017, 05:28 AM

I agree with Criminal Minds. I watched a lot of it with my grandmother from about 2007-2010. After awhile it got repetitive and the crimes were sort of just very elaborate (however, I am aware these sort of crimes do in fact occur). It also sort of turned into an almost horror type show which was too much for my brain.

Another soap opera is The Young and the Restless. It should have ended at least a decade ago. The show is honestly ridiculous and much too complicated now. For context - it's another show my grandmother watches and in turn was a show that I got roped into watching with her. I occasionally still see episodes and gosh it needs to end.

Unpopular opinion alert.

Thirteen Reasons Why. It shouldn't be continued and it shouldn't have even started. Here's an excerpt from an article I wrote with Britt that explains my opinion on it quite well:

Spoiler:

Suicide is glorified even though that was not the intention.

Suicide is much more complicated than how it's shown on TV. There are many things that can contribute to someone wanting to end their life, but the series simplifies it and perpetuates the idea that others are to blame for someone’s suicide.

There is a risk of copycat suicide/self-harm behaviors.

The series portrayed the wrong way to open conversations on mental illness and suicide/bullying.

Selena Gomez states the story is a “beautifully tragic, complicated yet suspenseful story”.[Source] Mental illnesses are not beautiful. They are not showering or brushing your teeth for days or weeks on end. They are looking functional enough for people not to notice and for you to suffer in silence. They are staying in bed all day because you cannot face the world that lies outside of your bedroom. They are switching a light switch off and on over twenty times to prevent an electrical fire. They are being so paranoid that you shut yourself away. They are having no empathy for others. Saying it is beautiful romanticizes suicide, self-harm, and mental illnesses. Suicide is not trendy. It is not a catalyst for change. If it were, all the suicides that have already occurred in the world would have made some progress with the stigma. [Source]
The series suggests that the reason for Hannah’s suicide was to get revenge and make others feel guilty for her decision to kill herself. It should have focused on her thoughts, emotions, and probable mental illness as the cause for her suicide. This is not only portrayed in the Netflix adaptation, but also in the novel.

It implies that school mental health professionals are not a reliable source for help, possibly discouraging teens to approach their school’s staff or other professionals. The way the professionals act in the series is unethical. While there are mental health professionals who behave this way, the majority uphold ethical behavior. There are also no examples of anyone successfully seeking help and support.

Some may view Hannah’s decision to end her life as a logical and justified solution to their problems rather than acknowledging that there are other solutions.

While some people know what triggers them, some do not and others may purposely watch the series to trigger themselves.

It graphically depicts one way someone could end their life.

While Hannah admits that the decision to complete suicide was entirely her own, it suggests that those thirteen people were the reason Hannah ended her life. However, Hannah would never really know what their reactions were to the tapes as death is final and can't be reversed, but also as far as we know, you don't get to watch the events unfold after you complete suicide.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#9 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 31st 2017, 08:03 PM

I think thirteen reasons why, should not be continued, I also think they shouldn't have shown two seasons in great detail. Honestly I have only seen one in a half episodes and didn't find it interesting at all.

I agree that Degrassi got so tiring after awhile, I only watched it occaisonaly after Ellie, Paige and Marco left, and Darcy left. I mean it isn't on TV anymore but they did continue it on Netflix. I think they should just let it die. They just kept doing same story lines over just tweaking them a little bit.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - December 31st 2017, 09:04 PM

Grey's Anatomy. It should have ended after the plane crash. Actually, the plane crash should never have happened. If we go further back, to keep two crucial characters alive and one with all their limbs, then I would say after the season six finale. At this point, I mentally keep track of a "kill list" which Shonda has knocked all out of whack with ejecting Nathan before Owen. I thought that Martin Henderson dude was working out pretty well on the show.

Law & Order SVU. I haven't seen it in several years, but I agree with those who say the series should have ended when Chris Meloni left. After that, it was like one wreck after another, the most significant was being that crazy guy who held Olivia hostage. I stopped watching the next episode, which was supposedly supposed to be about those three girls in Ohio?

American Idol. I don't know if this counts, but I don't know why they're bringing it back!

Degrassi, it should have ended when Emma and those guys left. I like Claire, but she should have been left as the little sister off-screen and not a main character.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - January 1st 2018, 12:59 AM

Pretty Little Liars should have ended long before it did, they dragged it on way too much.
Also not necessarily just TV shows, but some book series (Vampire Diaries, House of Night) and even some films (Shrek, Home Alone) just kept spawning more and more sequels and it got to the point I just disliked them all as a result.

There are also many books that became TV shows which should NEVER have happened. TV tends to totally ruin good books. :/

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - January 1st 2018, 02:56 AM

Oh gosh, I kinda forgot about Pretty Little Liars. It really did drag on way longer than it should have.

But I have to agree about Grey's Anatomy. At this point it feels like they are keeping it going because of how popular it is, but the story isn't getting better. And the writing feels sloppy at times, and doesn't always feel believable.

One show I always think about with this topic is Scrubs. That last season should not exist, the 9th I believe it is. It should have ended with the 8th. If you ever watch it, pretend there are only 8 seasons and you'll be happy.

I also feel like Once Upon a Time was getting a little dragged out, but I also stopped watching it. I don't know whats going on with it now so I could be wrong, it could be better.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Series they shouldn't continue - January 1st 2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaty View Post

I also feel like Once Upon a Time was getting a little dragged out, but I also stopped watching it. I don't know whats going on with it now so I could be wrong, it could be better.
I stopped watching this show a long time ago, but I don't think it could be better because the actors that play, Emma, Snow white, and Charming all quit and Emma was one of the main characters. I just think i should end already.

Also another one that was on way to long that i forgot about was revenge after the second season I think I quit watching it, it got so confusing and it just seemed like it was a huge mess.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread