TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Let the Right One In (Swedish vampire film) - May 7th 2011, 06:11 AM

I won't put any spoilers in this post so that anyone who hasn't seen it can choose to read further or not. But there will be spoilers later on if we get a discussion started.

Some of you have probably heard of Let the Right One In, a movie from Swedish director Tomas Alfredson. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/) I had heard a lot about it, so I finally decided to watch it tonight.

For all the five-star reviews and praise this movie seems to have been getting, I don't see the appeal. The gore was not overdone, and it did proffer food for thought, which I can appreciate. I'm not a stranger to darker films/books/etc., so I wasn't expecting it to bother me as much as it did. Disagree with me if you will. I'd like to hear your opinion if you have seen it.

How do you guys feel about the imagery? The acting? The characters? The morality (or lack thereof)?

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Let the Right One In (Swedish vampire film) - May 7th 2011, 07:38 AM

I personally loved this movie. It was ridiculously dark with no disney ending and managed to keep a dark and demented tone throughout. The acting was pretty good and the imagery was excellent (vulgar and horrific as it is). The characters were great (a lonely victim of bullying befriends an isolated and monstrous girl). Plus, the end scene in the pool is damn good too

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: Let the Right One In (Swedish vampire film) - May 7th 2011, 01:44 PM

I think the appeal is in more than just the story and the characters.

For me, it's the atmosphere. The constantly dim and dark scenes compliment how Oskar views the world, and indeed they portray his own emotions. It's constantly tense, and most scenes involve some sort of power struggle - even when Oskar downright orders Eli to walk into the room without asking for permission.

The snowy and desolate landscapes are key to the movie, because they add as much to Let The Right One In as any other part of the story. I would say the same for the Swedish language too. The American remake didn't work as well for me because it didn't have the same charm that the original has.

Apart from all those things, the storylines had me constantly hooked and the characters are all flawed and fascinating.

I'm not sure whether I prefer the book or the movie, but both are great pieces of art.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Let the Right One In (Swedish vampire film) - May 7th 2011, 03:28 PM

I can agree that the imagery was great, and it was consistent in portraying a mood. But what's even the point of this movie?

Oskar is a lonely, homicidal, twelve-year-old boy who is tormented and controlled by a group of little thugs. Eli isn't a friend to Oskar, she just kills his bullies so she can have final control of him. Just as she did with her "father."

Eli's a parasite who has convinced herself that she's conflicted about killing people. She cries after they die. But she doesn't have the balls (or penis/vagina, haha, see what I did there?) to stop being a parasite. She's an old, controlling, bullying, murderous bitch.

She acts like somehow the things she does for/with Oskar are romantic and sweet, and he buys into it. Obviously she cannot technically have sex with anyone. But when she spent the night with Oskar in his bed, she was such a creepy, controlling presence that I half-expected Chris Hansen to walk into the room with a camera crew.

Demented and dark, yes. Is that the whole point? Or is it that bullies will stay bullies, and victims will stay victims?

Again, it is a piece of art in that it provokes thought. But I personally don't think I'll watch it again, or recommend it to people.

I think what bothers me more than the movie are some of the reviews, declaring it as a story of "innocence" and "romance" and "friendship," even going so far as to call it "heartwarming." How is anything in this movie even REMOTELY innocent, romantic, friendly, or heartwarming? It's a story of power plays and killing. (And no, I did not watch this movie expecting romance, friendship, or for my heart to be warmed. But some people think of it like that....Why?)

Brownies for anyone who can explain that to me.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread