TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh ("Kay-Lee")

Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 12:10 AM

I don't know why I watch these shows as I don't have children I don't always agree with Jo Frost (once she said parents should know their teenager's Facebook/Myspace password and spy on them) but most of the time I think she's right.

http://www.youtube.com/show/extremeparentalguidance?s=2

You can watch all the episodes free (legally) on youtube I'm pretty sure you have to be in UK though.

Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 10:51 AM

Spying on your child's facebook is a dumb thing to do! Way to get them to trust you. >.>
Checking up on them and asking them to show you, letting them know they can tell you things, making sure they aren't going on sites you don't want them to, that all makes sense, but spying is just a stupid idea. And I normally like that woman.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 04:25 PM

Exactly >.> All I would do is tell them about online safety and trust them If my mum and dad knew my password I would have probably made another Facebook/Myspace account without them knowing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 04:36 PM

I see why she would say that, if you're posting something online where a lot, if not anyone can read it, then theoretically you shouldn't be posting something that you would have a problem with them seeing.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I see why she would say that, if you're posting something online where a lot, if not anyone can read it, then theoretically you shouldn't be posting something that you would have a problem with them seeing.
It's more the idea that the parent would be spying on the child, not that the parent would be knowing what the child is posting. I think parents and children should try to be open with each other about things, particularly when it concerns internet safety/anything else just as important. They should be communicating, not spying.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:36 PM

Just because they would have the passwords doesn't mean that they would use them to spy, I think it's more the idea that the kid should be careful because the parent could look if they wanted to, not because they will.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:43 PM

If I was the kid, I would stop trusting my parents. It doesn't sound like it's good for a healthy relationship between kid and parent.
Also, you have to be thirteen to be on facebook, and at that point you're a teenager. You're learning about responsibilities, and having the password known by your parent takes that away. If the child wanted the parent to have it, then fair enough, but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with my parents having access to my account controls. Not so much seeing what I posted, but having the power to access, post and delete things without me knowing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:47 PM

and as a parent I don't know if I could trust my teenager (like 13) having an account without me knowing the password, I doubt I would ever use the power, but it's a parent's job to monitor what their kids do online or otherwise.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:50 PM

I just think, particularly after seeing how secretive my sister is about her facebook, that the child would be very likely to make a second account and use that instead, and that constant communication with the child about what they are doing would be more productive. If the child thinks you are snooping and spying on them behind their back then they would be less likely to trust you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:53 PM

If they don't want you to know what they're doing and they're going to take measures to hide it from you, why would they be more willing to tell you anything if you ask?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Out of spoons
Outside, huh?

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 06:59 PM

Because you're not snooping without their permission. You're giving them some space, and then making sure they're ok, and making conversation about their friends and who said what ect. and communicating, instead of checking out what they're doing without them knowing.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 07:13 PM

Having the password doesn't mean that you wouldn't have to check things behind their back, you could always say 'I want your password and I'm going to check once a month" or something like that, or just randomly tell them I want to see your accounts now.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion

Outside, huh?

Name: Louise

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 07:22 PM

I have to say, giving my mum/dad access to my facebook account, TH account, or blog, would be a death wish.
My mum is friends with me on facebook so she can check up on me if she likes. But she doesn't know how much stuff I've blocked from her.

❅Some people are worth melting for❅
We are the rainbow
  Send a message via MSN to LlamaLlamaDuck  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Jo Frost: Extreme Parental Guidance - July 28th 2011, 07:49 PM

I agree with Hester, a parent should trust their child enough to know they won't be doing anything stupid online. As long as you tell them exactly what's right and wrong online you should trust them to follow your rules.

My parents spying over conversations I'm having with my friends online is the same as them spying over conversations I have with my friends in real life.

Closed Thread