TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Film and Television Whether you're a film buff or just want to talk about your favorite television show, this forum is for you.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 01:55 AM

I don't think i can name a single female comedian who has made me laugh once other than Sandi Toksvig. They're just not funny. Does anyone else agree and why do you think this is?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 02:16 AM

Ummm Tina Fey and Samantha Bee and Julia Sweeny and Ellen DeGeneres (not to mention all the lovely and hilarious female comedians online), they all make me laugh.

I think it's just a personal thing. There's also not that many female comedians to begin with.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 03:07 AM

Jo Brand I've found rather funny, but I actually agree with your question. I think there are so few female comedians out there beCAUSE people don't find them as funny, but why is this so??

Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive anyway.

Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud ~ Kanye West

Mistakes are minimized by experience and experience is maximised by mistakes.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 07:35 AM

Wanda Sykes is female and she is way funnier than some leading male comedians.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 10:55 AM

It isn't necessarily that female comedians aren't as funny as male comedians, but rather that society expects them to be less funny.

It's also a very heavily male dominated arena. Successful female comics are quite rare. Thus, when you come across one female comic who perhaps isn't as good as the others, you end up thinking that all female comics aren't as good as males, simply because there are fewer of them to prove you wrong.

You may find this article interesting ->
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._people_g.html

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 11:09 AM

Stand up wise I almost completely agree ... in shows/movies not so much.
I've found a few funny English female comedians, but I only rarely find them funny and it's usually specific material. It kinda annoys me how female comedians seem to think to be funny they have to make fun of themselves / their weight etc. It's not usually very funny.
That said, this clip always makes me giggle (from QI ... may contain light swearing and sexism, but nothing more) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5_IcqrM96M

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
It isn't necessarily that female comedians aren't as funny as male comedians, but rather that society expects them to be less funny.

It's also a very heavily male dominated arena. Successful female comics are quite rare. Thus, when you come across one female comic who perhaps isn't as good as the others, you end up thinking that all female comics aren't as good as males, simply because there are fewer of them to prove you wrong.

You may find this article interesting ->
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor..._people_g.html
I don't agree. I watch female comedians with an open mind but they actually just aren't that funny. There are very few that can make me laugh.

Actually, I've just realised something, the majority of the ones I find funny are lesbian. Could there be some kind of link?

Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig are very, very funny but I think they act very masculine in their comedy.

And while I agree it's male dominated, honestly i think that's because men are funnier. I don't think its just because there's some kind of massive conspiracy, I think it's just supply and demand.

Also according to QI (Which I trust with my life) audiences laugh more at men but panels laugh more at women. Women laugh more overall and men are normally the cause of laughter. That sorta explains it.

Last edited by forfrosne; November 1st 2011 at 12:13 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Grey Wind Offline
Average Joe

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 12:06 PM

Amy Schumer's alright, but I agree. It's pretty rare that I find girls funny in general though.

Rich Vos is coming out with a documentary about this called "Women Aren't Funny" soon. Can't wait to see it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 02:30 PM

There are a few funny ones, but I definitely agree that guy comedians are so much funnier.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 1st 2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

I don't agree. I watch female comedians with an open mind but they actually just aren't that funny. There are very few that can make me laugh.

Actually, I've just realised something, the majority of the ones I find funny are lesbian. Could there be some kind of link?

Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig are very, very funny but I think they act very masculine in their comedy.

And while I agree it's male dominated, honestly i think that's because men are funnier. I don't think its just because there's some kind of massive conspiracy, I think it's just supply and demand.

Also according to QI (Which I trust with my life) audiences laugh more at men but panels laugh more at women. Women laugh more overall and men are normally the cause of laughter. That sorta explains it.
Fair enough, I certainly find it an interesting conundrum. I find myself enjoying the majority of female comedians just as much as male comedians (and I watch a lot of stand-up...)

Even at the lower levels of stand-up comedy, there is a huge disparity in the ratio of male to females. I frequent a comedy bar that's near my university, and they have a night for first-timers. For every female trying it out for the first time (and they tend to do pretty well!), there are at least 8 or 9 males. Most nights there are no females at all. Since there are so many more males, it's more likely that they're going to be successful and become big names.

I remember that episode of QI, but they aren't always right, sadly

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 2nd 2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Perhaps the issue is not that female comedians are less funny, but that they are less funny to you. Humour is very subjective, so you can't really say "female comedians aren't funny" when that's based entirely on your opinion. I think that, as a man, you probably respond more to male comedians because they are more likely to make jokes that appeal to you. On the other hand, I found a lot of male comedians to be too crude for my tastes.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 04:08 AM

I kind of agree, but I don't mean it in a sexist way, for sure. I have plenty of female friends and many of them are hilarious, so I would never say it's not possible for a woman to be funny. Most female comedians I've seen though don't really make me laugh. I tend to agree with Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig, they're funny. But then you have Sarah Millican...I've seen funnier episodes of Question Time.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I kind of agree, but I don't mean it in a sexist way, for sure. I have plenty of female friends and many of them are hilarious, so I would never say it's not possible for a woman to be funny. Most female comedians I've seen though don't really make me laugh. I tend to agree with Jo Brand and Sandi Toksvig, they're funny. But then you have Sarah Millican...I've seen funnier episodes of Question Time.
That's what I'm saying. It's not impossible, it's just that they're really rare.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 02:25 PM

I feel like I might get my female card revoked for saying this, but I kind of agree ><

But I don't think it's an issue of females in general being 'less funny'. When I think about the funniest people I've known, most of them have been females (and that's not because I know more women). But in terms of comedians, I don't think any of them are very funny. I really think Ellen is very unfunny as well and she's probably one of the most sucessful.

I think female comedians tend to be loud and obnoxious. As someone else mentioned, they seem to only talk about their personal lives and put other women down or talk about their own flaws as females. Maybe they think that to get by in the business they have to 'act like men', which would explain why they all seem to be so 'in your face'.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#15 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marguerite View Post
I feel like I might get my female card revoked for saying this, but I kind of agree ><

But I don't think it's an issue of females in general being 'less funny'. When I think about the funniest people I've known, most of them have been females (and that's not because I know more women). But in terms of comedians, I don't think any of them are very funny. I really think Ellen is very unfunny as well and she's probably one of the most sucessful.

I think female comedians tend to be loud and obnoxious. As someone else mentioned, they seem to only talk about their personal lives and put other women down or talk about their own flaws as females. Maybe they think that to get by in the business they have to 'act like men', which would explain why they all seem to be so 'in your face'.
I think the problem is mostly the subject matter.

Their content matter is always either about themselves, women, other women or problems they face by being women, and it's just not funny material at all. They also aren't confident enough in what they say.

I mean, watch this, in two lines the two men on the panel are about 10x funnier than the two women and they spent 20 minutes talking.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:

I think the problem is mostly the subject matter.

Their content matter is always either about themselves, women, other women or problems they face by being women, and it's just not funny material at all. They also aren't confident enough in what they say.

I mean, watch this, in two lines the two men on the panel are about 10x funnier than the two women and they spent 20 minutes talking.
Maybe you're right. I was trying to think of some funny female comedians from shows I watch like Talkin Bout Your Generation or Good News Week (Australian panel/quiz shows) but I literally couldn't think of one. I can think of a bunch of funny female contestants who have appeared but they're all actors/singers/professions other than comedians.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 5th 2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I think Sandi is quite funny as well there, but the girl next to her is just annoying.

It's kind of like Loose Women, the way that girl was talking. As if it ought to be funny, simply because she's female. I quite like Sue Perkins as well, another lesbian. Alan Davies and Jack Dee were both brilliant there, and always are.

ShimmeringFaerie, I think to say that male comedians are crude is a massive generalisation, and nowhere near as true as it used to be. Infact more often lately it's been females making crude sex jokes. I went to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where I saw a female do stand up for about 20 minutes and it was basically all about sexual encounters with her boyfriend, where as the next guy on had a set that was mostly political satire. If you listen to Dara O Briain, it's crazy fantasies that run away with his mind to create insane situations that keep getting funnier and funnier, while Paul Merton is one of the modern kings of sarcasm and of stretching the realms of beliveability. I can't think of either of them ever being crude. Infact, Paul Merton hardly even swears.

I'm all for equality and I'm one of the least sexist people you'll ever meet, but when it comes to mainstream comedians, I'll usually laugh more at males.

Julia Hartley Brewer just popped into my mind cuz she's been on HIGNFY more than a few times, and I think she's quite funny. Thing is, she identifies herself as a broadcaster and columnist, not a comedian (or comedienne), and as such comes away with better jokes/lines in response to something else than, say, a female stand-up comedienne who has prepared a 90 minute show.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 07:01 PM

Aye, I never found American jokes to be funny anyways the only American comedians I can take are Dane Cook and Sarah Silverman mainly because they are sarcastic. Even though there is one really funny Mexican comedian and she is a woman her jokes are so funny because she makes fun of herself because she is the typical “dumb-blonde” type.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 07:25 PM

In shows I disagree, but I think the OP means stand up comedy, and I completely agree. Female stand up sucks.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gir View Post
In shows I disagree, but I think the OP means stand up comedy, and I completely agree. Female stand up sucks.
It's attitudes like that, that stop potentially brilliant women going into the business of stand-up comedy.

~ Harlan Ellison

(#21 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
It's attitudes like that, that stop potentially brilliant women going into the business of stand-up comedy.
How does her attitude impede funny women from succeeding? If women are funny, they're funny, and that's all there is to it.
Her attitude doesn't somehow stop the women being funny. The only thing an audience is looking for is comedy. They don't care where it comes from. if people have become convinced that women are bad standup comedians, the only people to blame are the women.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:

How does her attitude impede funny women from succeeding? If women are funny, they're funny, and that's all there is to it.
Her attitude doesn't somehow stop the women being funny. The only thing an audience is looking for is comedy. They don't care where it comes from. if people have become convinced that women are bad standup comedians, the only people to blame are the women.
Why would anyone want to go into a field in which a large proportion of people expect them to fail, and risk reinforcing a negative stereotype towards themselves? (stereotype threat)

Female stand-ups tend to just be women, until they're proven funny. Male stand-ups, merely by virtue of being in a comedy venue, are funny until they're proven to be twats.

The women who do have enough guts to go into stand up comedy tend to have a comedy style that doesn't appeal to you personally. But due to the relative rarity of women in stand up, you go on to think that all women are incapable of being good stand up comedians. If there were a greater number of women in stand-up comedy, more audiences would be represented, there would be a wider range of styles and genres. But because of such a negative view of women in stand up, perpetuated by such attitudes, they don't even try.

Also relevant: http://xkcd.com/385/

~ Harlan Ellison

(#23 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:

My single opinion has effectively ruined woman-kind from ever achieving equality between men and women. How dare I.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 6th 2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:

My single opinion has effectively ruined woman-kind from ever achieving equality between men and women. How dare I.
That isn't the point. It's not your individual opinion, but that you are perpetuating a wide-spread, harmful stereotype.

~ Harlan Ellison

(#25 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 7th 2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
That isn't the point. It's not your individual opinion, but that you are perpetuating a wide-spread, harmful stereotype.
I fail to understand why you act like I am to blame for everyone else's opinion. In my mind, all of the female stand up comedians were not funny, to me. Obviously an opinion keeps "strong women" from being "great"

If they were that amazing, strong, and hilarious they wouldn't let someone's opinion drag them back, would they?

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:

I fail to understand why you act like I am to blame for everyone else's opinion. In my mind, all of the female stand up comedians were not funny, to me. Obviously an opinion keeps "strong women" from being "great"

If they were that amazing, strong, and hilarious they wouldn't let someone's opinion drag them back, would they?
It's not just you. You aren't to blame for everyone's opinion.
But your opinion, like many other's is unfounded.
If the roles were reversed, if women were the majority in comedy, and men were the minority, or even if there were an equal amount of both, I honestly doubt yours, and the majority's opinion would be the same.

All women are people, and all people have a different style of comedy. I seriously doubt that most people have seen the wide range of stand up comedy that women can perform, and just go with the idea that because they have seen a few women perform comedy that they didn't enjoy, all women will perform comedy they don't like, leading them to the belief that all women are incapable of being funny.

This becomes a widespread belief that very few women are capable of being funny. This leads to:
1. women themselves thinking they are incapable of being funny,
2. the majority of people expecting a women to fail, if she tries to go into comedy.

In turn, this leads to people taking more notice when a women fails in comedy, along with the fact that they are considerably rare. Which perpetuates the belief that women cannot perform good-stand up, which goes back to beginning.

~ Harlan Ellison

(#27 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kristin

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 06:20 AM

Whitney Cummings and Lisa Lampernelli (sp?) are really funny...try checking them out!

(#28 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post

ShimmeringFaerie, I think to say that male comedians are crude is a massive generalisation, and nowhere near as true as it used to be. Infact more often lately it's been females making crude sex jokes. I went to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival where I saw a female do stand up for about 20 minutes and it was basically all about sexual encounters with her boyfriend, where as the next guy on had a set that was mostly political satire. If you listen to Dara O Briain, it's crazy fantasies that run away with his mind to create insane situations that keep getting funnier and funnier, while Paul Merton is one of the modern kings of sarcasm and of stretching the realms of beliveability. I can't think of either of them ever being crude. Infact, Paul Merton hardly even swears.
I actually didn't say that male comedians are crude. I said that I've found many male comedians too crude for my tastes. My point was that everyone has different ideas of what is funny and to say that female comedians aren't funny full-stop is unfair since it is only based on your opinion (or rather Cosmo's opinion as that is who I was directing my post at).

I also have to agree with Bean. Some people in this thread are making it sound like there is some magic gene that only men have that allows them to be funny. I find it much easier to believe that a lot of talented potential female comedians are being told by society and the people around them that they can't possibly succeed in the comedy business, so they do something else instead. To say that it's their fault for not being strong enough to try anyway is ridiculous; almost everyone has given up on a dream at some stage because people told them that they couldn't do it.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 07:58 AM

I find male and female comedians about as funny as eachother... there are some brilliant female comics out there, but by virtue of being women, they're bound to appeal more to women than men.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#30 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 09:10 AM

Lisa Lampinelli. Dame Edna.

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 8th 2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpiglet17 View Post
Dame Edna.
Does this actually count?! Haha.

I'd like to point out that I'd never tell a female she'll never be a comedian. Like I said, I have many female friends and some of them are the funniest people I've ever met. I'm saying in mainstream stand-up, and even some panel shows, women just don't come across as funny.

I wouldn't tell them not to try, either. I actually think that if quite a few people think the same way as us in this thread then there is a potential gap in the market for a certain type of female comedian we have yet to see break through. When you see some of the biggest comedians of the last few years, such as Michael McIntyre and Jack Whitehall, they aren't exactly the most manly of men. I don't think gender identity is important.

But to contrast with that, over-the-top flamboyance from a male, such as Alan Carr, isn't funny to me either.

I don't know, I feel like I'm digging a hole that doesn't actually exist. It's not to say that females aren't funny, that's obviously narrow minded and wrong. But I don't get why the likes of Sarah Millican is so popular when she just isn't funny. The same could be said of a male equivalent though like John Bishop.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
deadlyninjabee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Daniel

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 11th 2011, 02:22 AM

I love Tina Fey and Kathy Griffin, so I don't know what you talkin' about, Willis.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 11th 2011, 05:35 AM

Traci has recently gotten me into Jenna Marbles

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: Why are female comedians so unfunny? - November 12th 2011, 04:52 PM

You must have never seen Miranda. I love that show.

I also really like Sarah Millican : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyuo9...eature=related She makes me laugh so much

Closed Thread