TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Music Discuss your favorite musicians and music, whether you listen or play, here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
311tigress Offline
btwn here and there
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Dakota

Question Need Help: writing lyrics - October 23rd 2015, 10:34 PM

ive never written song lyrics before but its been something that ive wanted to at least try to do lately and i really want to but i just dont know how to start. like at all. as far as i get is pen and paper. if anyone has any suggestions, id appreciate any tip i can get.

Stand Up For What You Believe In Even If That Means Standing Alone ~Andy Biersack
Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy, sometimes, it simply means that you are a strong person. -Elena Guilbert (Nina Dobrev)
It's hard for me to show kindness to people that hate me. I'm not that evolved.
Sometimes You Realize That The Only Mistake You Made Was Care Too Much

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Riddikulus Offline
The magic word... expelliarmus
I've been here a while

Name: Ask me :)

Re: Need Help: writing lyrics - October 23rd 2015, 10:47 PM

Hey there!

Write a list of words/phrases that you want to include. Writing about things that mean something to you/that you're passionate about is generally easier. Start with the chorus and work the rest of the song around that. To start with though just jot down some general ideas and do it over time, if you thing of a good line, write it down etc. Don't expect it all to just flow out in one sitting

'Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics'

Helplink mentor 19/03/11
LiveHelp operator 25/04/11
Self Harm Mod 30/07/11
Chat Mod 16/01/12
Chit-Chat mod 7/05/12
General Health mod 13/10/12
Buddy 4/06/12

RIP Peter <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: Need Help: writing lyrics - October 23rd 2015, 10:48 PM

How about resorting to your emotions/personal experiences to come up with a story for a song? It could even stem from the experience of someone you know. You can even listen to songs that are written to tell a story for inspiration to help you build up your own song.

Not sure if this would help you but you could write a poem first to help you develop more of an idea then transfer some of it to lyrics. Plus, lots of songs have poetry roots since lyrics tend to rhyme.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out great the first try. You can always edit certain parts of the song lyrics and rewrite it as well until it turns out how you want it. Creating a creative writing piece and it turning out perfectly the first try is very rare!

Best of luck with your song. I hope you post it in Self Expression if you do write a song because I'm definitely interested to see how it turns out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Need Help: writing lyrics - October 26th 2015, 07:56 PM

Hey there,

I've been writing music since I was about 10. Personally, I like to get a melody down before coming up with the lyrics. It's always been a bit easier for me to find words to fit the beat than beats to fit the words.

If I have something specific that I'm trying to write about, like a person or situation, I like to spend between 10-15 minutes thinking about that. What are some words to describe the subject of the song? What emotions do you get when thinking about the subject? Drawing inspiration in the moment can help a great deal in the overall process.

Singing the song out loud while you are writing it can help a lot. Does it sound the way you want it to? Sometimes, it can look good on paper but, when you actually sing it, it doesn't quite convey what you want it to. Continue to sing the line over and over again until you find a word that fits the way you want it to.

If you're feeling intense emotion, positive or negative, that's a great time to start writing as well. Great art is drawn from great emotion and, when your feelings are strong, it can sometimes be easier to get your thoughts across because they are so raw, open, and honest.

Don't be afraid to put it down and walk away. Writing music should be a fun, cathartic process. If you're getting frustrated with it, you won't be able to produce the best results. I've had some songs take me months to complete because of how long I had to walk away from them. In some cases, I've put a song down so long that I nearly forgot about it and, when I picked it back up, I was able to get it out in about an hour. The point is that writing a song doesn't happen overnight.

I hope this helped!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread