TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AgeOfEden Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 25th 2013, 10:50 PM

I notice, being older that on youtube videos when you look at 90's or even 80's videos a lot of teenagers commenting how great the music was then and that they are stuck with rihanna and the sort.

Is there really any positive music now adays?

Growing up I used to listen to ...well first 80's music my sister had...was so cheesy but simple and fun..then I moved into heavy metal when I got into my stage of depression and drugs, then after I learned about meditation I would listen to enigma, delerium, native american music and they all had positive ideas and lyrics in them I think it definetly influenced who I am today.

What are your thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 27th 2013, 03:59 AM

I think it depends on the genre. Like people who say they like Nirvana or whoever compared to Rhianna. Those are two different genres. That's like saying "classic rock is so much better than Lady Gaga". They're two different genres. You can find good music if you look in the right places. I find music all the time that I like that isn't necessary popular, more known music, because I find a lot of the radio songs very annoying. Most music is good to SOMEONE, maybe just not everyone.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 27th 2013, 10:33 AM

I agree, it does depend on the genre. I'm not sure - personally I don't like 80's music at all, but 90's music is grand and I've liked anything since then. However I do feel overall the quality of our music has gone down - it's all about autotuning and synthesising and there's not as much real talent.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sammichez Offline
/人◕‿‿◕人\
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail (or Abbi)

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 27th 2013, 11:24 AM

It depends on the genre. I think the big problem is that they play the same songs on the radio over and over and over again! I swear, if I had a nickel for every time they played (insert popular song here), I'd be a millionare .

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 27th 2013, 11:40 PM

There's actually a ton of great music today if you look for it, like The Horrors, Crystal Castles, Amanda Palmer & the Grand Theft Orchestra, Grimes, Swim Deep, She Wants Revenge... just to name a few. Sure, music as a whole isn't evolving as much as it did in the 90s, 80s, and earlier, but there are a bunch of great artists today.
And by my above paragraph, I'm definitely not dismissing pop music as a whole, I quite like some of it to be honest. I'm definitely not as into it as I am into other genres, but I certainly have a lot of respect for many pop artists. Pop doesn't necessarily mean bad, and rock/alternative/indie doesn't necessarily mean good. There's really good and really awful to be found in all parts of the spectrum.
To be honest, there was a lot of shit (in my opinion, at least), put out in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. There was also a ton of amazing music. Things constantly change, and if you don't like the music that's part of pop culture, I guarantee you'll be able to find something you like elsewhere.

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hannah2421 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 28th 2013, 04:55 PM

I can't stand today's music and I'd love to live in '80s. I know that everything changed mainly because of money, etc. but I can't understand why people listen to this awful music, buy CDs and make this nightmare continue.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 28th 2013, 06:39 PM

There's good and bad music in both decades.

See whenever anybody is all like "The 80s/90s was full of such better music than today's crap" that's because everyone's forgotten all the rubbish music that came along with the good stuff

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: What is your opinion of music today, compared to the 90's or 80's? - September 30th 2013, 11:14 PM

It depends on the genre and your own personal preferences. Of course, what I find good, you may not, and what you may find good, I may not. I guess start exploring. There's more music out there than what you hear on the radio, so if you can get suggestions from people or just do a search, you may find things you like, just like I may find things from the 80s or 90s.

Closed Thread