TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Name: anonymousgurl

Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 4th 2017, 04:37 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm assuming like 99.9% know about that new hit show "13 reasons why"...

I personally did not watch the actual, entire show, but I watched a few clips and know the genera idea.

Anyways, I do not want to go into details of Hannah Baker's death scene as it is extremely graphic and triggering...but can someone explain why she chose a bathtub? Filled with water?
Like what does ending her life in a bathtub full of water with her clothes on symbolize?

Why couldn't she have done it someplace else, like, say, her room or something?

Sorry I'm just confused :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 4th 2017, 01:12 PM

Hey there!
I would be curious about that too. And a few years ago I wondered the same thing. But as someone who knows the answer, i cannot say it because that is against the rules here. Or at least I think it is.....? Because it would involve discussing methods of hurting oneself.

Perhaps wearing clothes was just so she won't be naked. I'm not sure about that

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 4th 2017, 07:39 PM

I think I know what you're trying to say. We don't know why people choose the location to end their lives. They might leave a note, but that's not going to say "this is why you will find me here," because that's really irrelevant. I think the important thing to do is not dwell on it. Maybe this can provide new insight or make you more aware about the dangers of that environment. Use it towards something positive, instead of making it negative.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 4th 2017, 07:53 PM

thx guys..

yeah lol, i was like why would she fill a tub of water before doing it

i guess we'll never know

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 5th 2017, 12:06 AM

Yeah, I don't really think there's meant to be a rhyme of reason.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kyburg Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 6th 2017, 06:58 AM

In literature, water has several symbolic meanings. Two of them may be appropriate here.

The first is water as life giving. In the womb, we are surrounded by water. All life on Earth emerged from water. Hannah filling the bath with water could be symbolic of a desire to complete the cycle of life: come from water, return to water. It's also reminiscent of the womb, and the comfort that a baby feels there, so potentially a desire to return to the womb.

Secondly, water is symbolic of change. The great bodies of water are always in motion, always changing, never still. Water is one of the most powerful substances on Earth. It can destroy entire cities in massive tidal waves, or wear down a mountain face over hundreds of years. The water in the bath may be symbolic of Hannah's desire for change, change which she feels she has to bring.

Anyway, that's my opinion on what it might mean. There are certainly many other possibilities.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 6th 2017, 09:11 AM

In the book she didn't kill herself that way. I'm quite certain they had her kill herself in that manner in the show for shock affect.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
~anongirl~ Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why did Hannah Baker do this? - May 8th 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyburg View Post
In literature, water has several symbolic meanings. Two of them may be appropriate here.

The first is water as life giving. In the womb, we are surrounded by water. All life on Earth emerged from water. Hannah filling the bath with water could be symbolic of a desire to complete the cycle of life: come from water, return to water. It's also reminiscent of the womb, and the comfort that a baby feels there, so potentially a desire to return to the womb.

Secondly, water is symbolic of change. The great bodies of water are always in motion, always changing, never still. Water is one of the most powerful substances on Earth. It can destroy entire cities in massive tidal waves, or wear down a mountain face over hundreds of years. The water in the bath may be symbolic of Hannah's desire for change, change which she feels she has to bring.

Anyway, that's my opinion on what it might mean. There are certainly many other possibilities.
I like that! That's a really good analysis...I honestly never thought of it that way

Closed Thread