TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

TikTok / YouTube shorts - January 28th 2023, 09:43 AM

Hi everyone!
I hope you're doing okay.

I was wondering whether you spend time watching TikTok videos or YouTube shorts. To be honest I've never used TikTok, but I do watch YT shorts, I think they're kinda similar?
However, I've noticed a few things about them that affect me negatively. First, it's very easy to lose track of time while scrolling through the videos. Second, it's making my brain overstimulated (or at least adding to that overstimulation). Third, the algorithm usually suggests me some videos I like (for example of puppies), but sometimes I see some things that are distressing.

At the same time I don't think watching TikTok/shorts is necessarily bad, it can be a good way to unwind (that's why I'm posting this in media/entertainment!). But I believe it's important to limit the time spent watching them, and choose channels to follow carefully.

So, I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1. Do you watch TikTok/shorts or not at all?

(following questions for people that answered 'yes' above)
2. How often? Are you aware of how much time you spend there, or you don't track it?
3. Would you like to limit that time, or you think it is not necessary in your case?
4. Do you know any channels/profiles you would recommend? What kind of content do they post? Is it meant to entertain, educate, or something else?

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: TikTok / YouTube shorts - January 28th 2023, 03:55 PM

Hey, i think this is a great thread! Thanks for creating it, Sue. I hope we get some responses in here.

I've never really used TikTok; maybe once or twice, but it was because individuals didn't provide the reel on other platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, etc. Otherwise, I stay away from TikTok 100% of the time.

I had no idea there were short 'reels' on Youtube! I'll have to check those out at some point. I watch 'reels' on Facebook and Instagram; more on Instagram than Facebook. I don't like the reels and prefer still images, because it can be a trigger for overstimulation.

I know you didn't ask about Instagram; but the reels I enjoy watching are mostly educational and sometimes of cute animals — mainly cats and occasionally guinea pigs. Unfortunately, if you click the lightening bolt enclosed in a circle icon (no idea what that is called. Oops. ) you get suggestions that might be relevant to reels you've watched maybe 10% to 15% of the time. Of that, 40% seems to be relevant to something upsetting of the reel subject you tend to watch.

For example, if you follow an account mainly for kitten rescue, of course every so often the kitten rescue will take in a sick cat that might need enucelation; but this will trigger the algorithm to show reels or images that features cats with severe eye problems.

There's really no way to go around that.

Getting back to your questions, it's hard to try not to get caught up scrolling through all those reels (or images)! I try to spend no more than three or four minutes. Also, I am mindful of how much battery power they consume for my phone; so I try to limit my reel watching to once or twice a day.

There are various reasons to avoid prolonged exposure to reels.

- Triggering and sensitive media are bound to pop up at some point. It's best not to scroll enough that they pop up.
- Consumption of computer, tablet, and phone battery; deteriorating its lifespan; and technology can get overheated.
- Not being able to focus on greater priorities such as doing homework, household chores, and time with your family.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59 Points: 172,473, Level: 59

Re: TikTok / YouTube shorts - January 28th 2023, 04:38 PM

I watch TikTok daily. It does help me unwind but I also know I use it too often because I do lose track of time and lose sleep over it. My feed is a lot of cat and mental health videos.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: TikTok / YouTube shorts - January 30th 2023, 08:23 AM

I don't have TikTok and I don't really watch YouTube shorts but I watch reels on Facebook and Instagram.

Closed Thread