TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Any cheerleaders out there?? - February 26th 2009, 05:54 AM

I cheerlead for a recreational team and I love it!! We have competitions three times a year. I'd like to try out for an elite team, but I have to pay for classes myself and it's too expensive for me I love tumble class but I'm not very good yet because I only started about ten weeks or so ago. I'm learning to do back hand-springs but I can't do them yet sadly. I've been trying for ages to do hand-stands into forward rolls but I can't!! Any advice?

And does anyone else here cheerlead?

If you don't like cheerleaders, please don't feel the need to slam us in this thread. Just because the cheerleading stereotype is slutty bimbos, we're not all like that, in fact, very few of us are. I've graduated high school with an A average, I play hockey and soccer, I've danced ballet and jazz since I was five and I'm gay. Don't really fit into that category and most of us don't!

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Any cheerleaders out there?? - February 28th 2009, 12:45 AM

I cheered for my school teams for about four years and cheered competitively for four years as well. I really enjoyed both aspects of it and miss it greatly. I found that the taller you are the harder it is to trouble. Hence why all the Olympic gymnasts are very short. I myself at 5í8 had a very difficult time with tumbling even after having lessons. Something I just eventually had to give up on. I am not sure how tall you are, but that might be the problem. I just donít know what it is, my tumbling teacher once told me it had to do with the length of the back making it harder to do things like back hand springs. But I am not sure if that is true. I just know I tried very hard and had a difficult time at it.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
molliegym Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Re: Any cheerleaders out there?? - February 28th 2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I cheerlead for a recreational team and I love it!! We have competitions three times a year. I'd like to try out for an elite team, but I have to pay for classes myself and it's too expensive for me I love tumble class but I'm not very good yet because I only started about ten weeks or so ago. I'm learning to do back hand-springs but I can't do them yet sadly. I've been trying for ages to do hand-stands into forward rolls but I can't!! Any advice?
Hey!

I did gymnastics for years (I had to stop in 2006 after I hurt my knee), and I was on an all-star competitive cheerleading squad for... 3.5 months? It was really intense, and the coaches were kind of... mean. Cheerleading was fun though, but I ended up stopping because of the coaches (not to mention, I did kinda miss gymnastics).

Back handsprings are tough- it took me YEARS to learn a back handspring! For back handsprings and handstand forward rolls, it's important to have strong arms. Try doing handstands against a wall- hold it for a few minutes. Also do handstands in the middle of the room If you feel comfortable holding it, trying handstand push-ups against the wall (want a REAL challenge? do handstand push-ups without the wall, but ONLY attempt these if you can do several of them easily against the wall, and can hold a steady handstand in the middle of the room). Regular push-ups help build strength too. You also need to have strength in your core; try crunches, sit-ups, and V-ups.

For a back handspring, you need to have a really strong "push" off of your hands to get to your feet. Try kicking up to a handstand, and doing handstand snap-downs- snap your legs down (make sure they stay together!) like you would in a back handspring, making sure to really PUSH from your shoulders.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/MOLLYH%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]A few clicks will help @TWLOHA win $1 Million for suicide prevention. Please share this with others. Vote here:http://bit.ly/7si7Be

My music

I never conquered, rarely came
Tomorrow holds such better days

Check out my blog, Cold Fusion, with music news, reviews, and other related musings.

Send a message via AIM to molliegym Send a message via MSN to molliegym  
Closed Thread