TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Media and Entertainment Discuss everything from books to music, movies, television and celebrities in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 10th 2012, 09:14 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a dandy day.

I'm sure some of you remember me talking about wanting to write a book.

Well... I finally did it.

It's called....

The Bathroom Mirror

Here's what I wrote on my Amazon.ca page!!

"Encouraging thoughts that will help you move on with your life! Most of us FEEL inferior in some way. We were lead to believe that we don't 'measure up' - that we are 'less than'. That's a horrible thing to believe. But truth be told - it's something that we have no right to believe. I promise you - those awful feelings are a LIE. I wrote 'The Bathroom Mirror' to help people [Including myself] move on from their past and on with their lives. As the book says, "Our past is not necessarily a blueprint to our future." It is my hope that after reading 'The Bathroom Mirror' you will come to appreciate just how valuable you are. Buy a copy for yourself or for someone you care about. 'The Bathroom Mirror' is unique and surprisingly easy to read. Thank you."

Click on the link below to see The Bathroom Mirror webpage!

TheBathroomMirror.Me

And click on the Amazon link to buy a copy for yourself!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

posted with permission!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 11th 2012, 06:30 AM

This seems great!
Congrats! xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 11th 2012, 12:15 PM

Thanks MandyTeen!!

I really appreciate the 'pat on the back'!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 02:57 AM

Congratulations on writing a book! That's huge!
It definitely seems like a great read. Is it available on the Kindle? I might have to buy a copy.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 03:23 AM

What an accomplishment! Congratulations!!

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#6 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 10:53 AM

Thanks Sammi and Megan!

I appreciate the support.

I'm now working on creating a proper 'Press Release' that I'll send to a few local newspapers, etc. I have to admit - THAT makes me really nervous. I'm not worried about someone saying, "Sorry - we're not interested." I'm worried they'll say, "Sure - tell me more!!" lol

Oh well.....

So far - almost everyone who has bought one - has bought another one for someone they care about. So that's pretty flattering!!

I'll have to look into 'Kindle'.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 11:28 AM

Keep up the good work Craig! You make me feel so good about the world! There is hope that there are more people like you out there who care. Don't ever stop doing the awesome work that you do!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#8 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 11:29 AM

That's really great Congratulations!!!!!!x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 11:52 AM

Congrats on getting it published Craig!

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks bitesize and Nicole!

It's a GREAT FEELING when people support your dream!!!

Speaking of which - I fully intend to get a copy of 'The Bathroom Mirror' into the hand of EVERY middle school/high school student in Canada. [To start!]

I'm not kidding!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

Last edited by Eternal; April 18th 2013 at 04:01 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 04:44 PM

OMG! Well done <33333

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 12th 2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks Ceilidh!

Now all I have to do is encourage people to BUY it!!

But that's what 'marketing' is all about.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 13th 2012, 11:57 AM

WAAAAHOOOOO!!!! Congratulations Craig!

Again, let us know about E-book copies as i don't buy physical books anymore But i'm very interested in reading it.

Good luck
Take care
xx

I'm a superstar because I do pageants!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 13th 2012, 11:28 PM

Thanks Unicorn!!

I'm looking into turning my book into an ebook. Not sure which one would be best. Kindle is a problem. I would have to set up a U.S. bank account and get a U.S. income tax number. Plus I don't know yet if my book could be converted. It's very uniquely written. [Unusual font sizes, etc.]

Just for the record. I sold SIX books yesterday!! WooHoo!!!

Is Kindle best?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 16th 2012, 10:02 PM

24 BOOKS SOLD!!!

WooHoo!!

But not ONE to a TeenHelp member.

What would it take to get YOU to BUY my BOOK?!

If you don't actually want a 'real book' but would buy an 'ebook' version of my book - then LET ME KNOW!!

AND let me know what VERSION of EBOOK you would BUY!

[Or at least what version you think MOST people would BUY]

HELP ME SELL MY BOOK!!

Thanks!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 19th 2012, 08:37 PM

I'll start by saying I think it's crucial for you to receive honest feedback to get a better sense of people's reactions in order to achieve your aforementioned goals, which I do support. As of yet, I have no desire to read the book or e-book for a few reasons but mainly, I need to be enticed, I want to know what the book is about (i.e. personal recollections, a unique interpretation of already existing philosophical teachings, etc...). I also want to know how it ensures to the greatest possibility that it yields the goals it intends. In other words, are the results it claims to give verifiable and how? This is something that right off the bat, separates it from your garden variety self-help book some guy wrote to make a few dollars from. You're passionate about the book, which is great although if I'm going to spend even 1 cent of my money, it has to be for a greater reason other than the book was written by a passionate nice guy. When I go to Chapters or a used book store, there are walls full of self-help books and I see people trying to determine which one is the best. Although this falls under marketing, it's something you can do even for TH members. I can certainly buy the book right now despite my lack of interest but in all honesty I'm probably not going to read it. I would tell my friends and others (i.e. at campus there is a psychotherapy course which involves analysis of self-help books), unfortunately, as of yet, I have nothing to tell them. I'm not trying to bust your balls and make you feel miserable in case I did. For better or worse, there's a great deal of skepticism with self-help books that you have no control over and it's going to be a barrier until you break through it.

If you could post more information, such as what I mentioned or even more, you'll get more TH members interested. We may not buy the book ourselves but talk of it will certainly increase.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#17 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 20th 2012, 04:53 AM

Hi OMFG!

I hope you're OK.

Thank you VERY much for taking the time to help me out. That means a LOT to me. I've never written a book before. And I've certainly never tried to change a physical book into a format that makes it possible to become an ebook. [Which is what I'm working on now] I have actually never read an ebook. After I do that [Which should be sometime this week] I will create an Amazon.com Kindle account to sell my ebook. All of that means that I have to get a U.S. bank account and U.S. Income Tax number. Sheesh!!

As for describing what 'The Bathroom Mirror' is about [In order to persuade someone to WANT to BUY my BOOK] I have to say - that has been the BIGGEST hurdle of all. I still don't know how to describe my book. There are some quotes that people have given me - that I have posted on 'The Bathroom Mirror' web page - but even they are rather generic. They all describe the benefits of reading my book - but not really what the book itself is about.

It's a HUGE puzzle. I know the intent and purpose of the book - but for some reason I can't [As of yet] find the words to describe it. And unless I can come up with something - my book will die a slow and painful death in a cold cardboard box somewhere down by the river!

Truth be told - I was counting on people to TELL me what the book meant to them. And from that input I would find a way to describe my book. But that hasn't worked out as planned. It is a 100 page book that was written with the INTENT of encouraging people [Including myself] to let go of the past and move on with their life. But really - isn't that how most 'self-help' authors describe their book? I am - therefore - going to have to seek out some unused brain cells and come up with something better. And fast! I think my book can help a lot of people. And THAT is why I wrote it. And THAT is why I must do whatever needs to be done to create a desire in people to want to buy it.

Thanks again,

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 20th 2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
As for describing what 'The Bathroom Mirror' is about [In order to persuade someone to WANT to BUY my BOOK] I have to say - that has been the BIGGEST hurdle of all. I still don't know how to describe my book. There are some quotes that people have given me - that I have posted on 'The Bathroom Mirror' web page - but even they are rather generic. They all describe the benefits of reading my book - but not really what the book itself is about.
Based on your response I'm going to assume the book involves personal reflections mixed with a variety of positive yet realistic messages. That's general still. I suppose a more interesting question would be, how did you advertise the book and persuade the 20 or so people to buy it? Chances are they were already looking for a self-help book.

Quote:
It's a HUGE puzzle. I know the intent and purpose of the book - but for some reason I can't [As of yet] find the words to describe it. And unless I can come up with something - my book will die a slow and painful death in a cold cardboard box somewhere down by the river!
For my curiousity and your benefit, let's start with the simplest question: why did you name the book, "the bathroom mirror"? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but you're generally naked in the bathroom (helps to take a shower or bath without clothes on), it's a private room where you can hear others through the door but they may not be able to hear you. In other words, you expose all your vulnerabilities to yourself and can let loose whatever emotions without having others see. Unless I'm mistaken, this is where you book starts from. Can you build off this?

Quote:
Truth be told - I was counting on people to TELL me what the book meant to them.
That is certainly a great idea and gives nice marketing ideas.

Quote:
It is a 100 page book that was written with the INTENT of encouraging people [Including myself] to let go of the past and move on with their life. But really - isn't that how most 'self-help' authors describe their book?
The only self-help books I've read were while I was in a bookstore and ruffled through a few pages, then set the book down as it seemed like generic dribble from a fortune cookie, so I cant comment on how most self-help books are like. What I can say though is the principle idea of self-help is just that, use some strategy to deal with problems you're facing, get over them and move on with life. Some books do this passively by easing the person into change, whereas others advocate grabbing the bull by the horns and tackling the problem head-on without any pussy footing. I don't know which category your book falls into, perhaps it's a blend.

Quote:
I am - therefore - going to have to seek out some unused brain cells and come up with something better. And fast! I think my book can help a lot of people. And THAT is why I wrote it. And THAT is why I must do whatever needs to be done to create a desire in people to want to buy it.
I've written a variety of research papers for my courses, in fact I'm doing one right now that's looking to be about 10 pages max. The longest I've written was 40 pages followed by a 35 page paper. The papers are scientific so I have a more concrete idea, however, you want to sell your paper by making a kick-ass abstract (paragraph-long summary) and introduction. It's not easy and I've struggled to the point where I stared at the blinking cursor for an hour because I wrote something, didn't like it, started a new sentence and accumulated literally 2 pages of introductory sentences, then finally narrowed it down to one. Similarly, before giving my lectures I would make a rough script and it took hours longer than expected. Point of this rambling is if you approach it from different angles, you'll get different outcomes and eventually one will sit with you as the best. It's easier said than done. You could look at various self-help books that have great reviews and see how they promoted it, not to copy but to get ideas from. Alternatively, look through a bunch of popular self-help books and see what they do. Try not to pick the bottom of the barrell because copying shit will only produce shit.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 20th 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
Based on your response I'm going to assume the book involves personal reflections mixed with a variety of positive yet realistic messages. That's general still. I suppose a more interesting question would be, how did you advertise the book and persuade the 20 or so people to buy it? Chances are they were already looking for a self-help book.
Basically - you hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what my book is.

The contents page of my 100 page book has 46 'chapters'. Many of them those 'chapters' are just one page long. The goal with my book was to say only what needed to be said in each 'topic' while still being as VERY compassionate, understanding and supportive.

Here are a few of the chapters listed on the contents page.

Compassion for the 'Have It Alls'
The Autopsy
A Guy Buys Me Flowers
You are not alone
Blueprint
Sex/Intimacy
I get no respect
Think nice equals weak?
Outside - IN
Whether the weather
You were raped
Being LAUGHED at
Not so nice
Something wrong with you
Find the courage
I'm trapped
The Bathroom Mirror

Quote:
For my curiousity and your benefit, let's start with the simplest question: why did you name the book, "the bathroom mirror"? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but you're generally naked in the bathroom (helps to take a shower or bath without clothes on), it's a private room where you can hear others through the door but they may not be able to hear you. In other words, you expose all your vulnerabilities to yourself and can let loose whatever emotions without having others see. Unless I'm mistaken, this is where you book starts from. Can you build off this?
The title came from a chapter in the book. The last chapter. It's about how I suddenly stopped while in the middle of telling myself how worthless and awful I was and 'took another look'. [Which many of us do while staring at ourselves in the bathroom mirror] Add to that the fact that the book is - for the most part - about 'self-reflection' - and the whole bathroom mirror thing just seemed to fit. The moment I thought of it a little bell went off. I just knew it was it right. AND YOUR RIGHT! The whole idea really does some interesting marketing idea. Hmm....

Quote:
The only self-help books I've read were while I was in a bookstore and ruffled through a few pages, then set the book down as it seemed like generic dribble from a fortune cookie, so I cant comment on how most self-help books are like. What I can say though is the principle idea of self-help is just that, use some strategy to deal with problems you're facing, get over them and move on with life. Some books do this passively by easing the person into change, whereas others advocate grabbing the bull by the horns and tackling the problem head-on without any pussy footing. I don't know which category your book falls into, perhaps it's a blend.
I think my book is probably a blend - but it's a little hard for me to tell. [I'm so close to it - if you know what I mean] One person who read my book was indifferent to it. They thought it was 'nice' but they didn't seem to get much from it. And some other person actually cried when they read it because it 'changed their life'. They could FEEL that I actually cared about THEM!! [A 'dream response - I have to say!!] They actually bought more copies for their friends. Which one of those people will ultimately represent the majority of those who read my book - I don't know. But if have my way - most people will want to buy more them!! lol

Quote:
I've written a variety of research papers for my courses, in fact I'm doing one right now that's looking to be about 10 pages max. The longest I've written was 40 pages followed by a 35 page paper. The papers are scientific so I have a more concrete idea, however, you want to sell your paper by making a kick-ass abstract (paragraph-long summary) and introduction. It's not easy and I've struggled to the point where I stared at the blinking cursor for an hour because I wrote something, didn't like it, started a new sentence and accumulated literally 2 pages of introductory sentences, then finally narrowed it down to one. Similarly, before giving my lectures I would make a rough script and it took hours longer than expected. Point of this rambling is if you approach it from different angles, you'll get different outcomes and eventually one will sit with you as the best. It's easier said than done. You could look at various self-help books that have great reviews and see how they promoted it, not to copy but to get ideas from. Alternatively, look through a bunch of popular self-help books and see what they do. Try not to pick the bottom of the barrell because copying shit will only produce shit.
GREAT ADVICE!! I was actually taking about that to my friend and the co-editor of the book last night. [A few hours ago] The conversation started off with me asking my firend, "What made you buy the LAST book you bought?" And we went on from there.

I enjoyed reading your message.

Thanks for the help!!!

GBH - Craig!!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 24th 2012, 05:40 PM

I'm assuming these chapters are in chronological order since "The Bathroom Mirror" is the last. From looking at the names of the chapters and the order in which you have them in, the book seems to be about a violated somewhat sad guy with a big heart who was ridiculed (I'm assuming something about homosexuality and feeling like an outcast given two of the chapter names) and trying to overcome it. Some self-help books are written in this fashion, in which the author had an issue and documented their path to recovery. On the other hand, some self-help books are written by authors who observed someone else (or multiple people) with certain problem(s) or are experts or self-proclaimed experts in the particular issue. The idea of being compassionate to everyone definitely falls in line with certain philosophical beliefs and a variety of religions, so it is quite possible to advertise or edit it to have a certain spin, if you want.

This is just based on your writing style on TH, but when you capitalize certain words, it suggests they're emphasized or if in dialogue, someone is shouting. You did this in 2 of the chapter titles, so I would expect that, say, "Outside-IN" briefly discusses people or ideas external to you but for the majority, focuses on ideas internal. Also, keep in mind, reading a page with a capitalized word here and there isn't a big deal but if they are everywhere on the page, it gets distracting. If I were to read a page with such writing style, I wouldn't buy the book.

Quote:
I think my book is probably a blend - but it's a little hard for me to tell. [I'm so close to it - if you know what I mean] One person who read my book was indifferent to it. They thought it was 'nice' but they didn't seem to get much from it. And some other person actually cried when they read it because it 'changed their life'. They could FEEL that I actually cared about THEM!! [A 'dream response - I have to say!!] They actually bought more copies for their friends. Which one of those people will ultimately represent the majority of those who read my book - I don't know. But if have my way - most people will want to buy more them!! lol
It's very good the person cried as it shows your writing style of the ideas can project into people without much difficulty. From there it depends whether they can relate to the ideas, which the person who was indifferent obviously couldn't.

Quote:
GREAT ADVICE!! I was actually taking about that to my friend and the co-editor of the book last night. [A few hours ago] The conversation started off with me asking my firend, "What made you buy the LAST book you bought?" And we went on from there.
If you can, try to get each person who buys the book to answer this question because there are plenty of reasons and your friend may only have a few of them.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: The Bathroom Mirror - MY NEW BOOK! - March 28th 2012, 09:47 AM

Hi OMFG!!

I hope you're OK.

Although I can relate to much of what I wrote in the book in a personal sort of way - it really isn't about me. So there is no particular order to it. [Other than an attempt to follow a rather heavy topic with something more light-hearted] I also tried to make each 'topic' gender, orientation and age neutral. 'You were raped' - for example - isn't specifically about a girl or guy given that both can be raped. And there's nothing about being gay in the book either. My book tires to deal with several 'human' issues like forgiveness and grief and self-acceptance.

As for my writing style - some people find the fact that I often CAPITALIZE words somewhat bothersome. But most don't. In fact - most people think it adds to the experience of reading my 'stuff'! Which is lucky for me - given the fact that I would never change how I choose to express myself. Besides - I would much rather have a negative response - AND a positive response - than no response at all.

Once again - you gave me a LOT of things to think about. And I really appreciate. it.

Now if I can just figure out how to turn it into an ebook!

Thanks!
GBH - Craig!!

Closed Thread