TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
abura Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 02:34 AM

so i am in the process of wanting to buy a mac, but my whhole family runs on pc's so i figured out that you can run a mac as a pc, but i'm not sure if it's a waste of money, becasue i love how apples look and operate but i also potentially go to college with this computer so i dont know. if you are in college as of now, how is is opertating system, is it a pc run base or an all together thing? yeha ineed help! i'm thinking macbook white.
the other mac's are too skinny for my liking, but i'm in love with the white ones and if i could find a black one i would buy that too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
KnightSniper Offline
Supreme Geek
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 02:47 AM

Current Macs are run on Intel-based Core 2 Duo processors, meaning that they support Windows. You'll have to pay for a full install package of Windows, but you can most definitely install it side-by-side with OS X.

"Remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus."-Kevin Smith, opening of "Dogma"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 03:47 PM

It is possible, there's a roomful of such computers at my uni, that have a dual boot on them between OS X and Windows Xp.
I'm not sure how one would go about it though, I'm assuming it's self-explanatory when you insert the CD, but if it's not, I could do a wee bit of research for you?

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 05:06 PM

What I'd like to know is why exactly do you want Windows on a mac? All the basic stuff you can do on either. It's not like you'll have any difficulty swapping files from macs to pcs. We have one Windows one mac and one linux pc at home and everything runs smoothly (or would if the hard drives didn't go missing on a regular basis...)
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Trickmatic Offline
-
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 05:35 PM

You can dual boot using BootCamp.

There's instructions on Apple's website on how to use BootCamp. I found them very simple to use. :] I personally didn't like creating a new partition of my hard drive specifically for Windows XP.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

There's also other programs like Parallels that allow you to use multiple operating systems.

Style is up to you, of course. I don't see why buying a Mac would be a problem if PCs are your family's preference. Do some research into the programs that you will have to use and see if they are compatible from Mac to PC. It's a big decision, so take your time with it :]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shaun Hellend

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 05:43 PM

I went to an Open day at cardiff Uni recently and was given a Tour of the I.T department. Apparently nobody uses the Macs, even though thiers a room full of them lol

Sure their stylish, but thier also childish. If you want a proper experience, get a PC
  Send a message via AIM to ShaunHellend Send a message via MSN to ShaunHellend  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 5th 2009, 11:09 PM

I highly suggest BootCamp, from what little I know about running Windows on a Mac. I do know that it can be done. I suggest looking into buying a computer with Windows already installed along said the latest Mac operating system. It'll save you the troubles of having to install. I've never set foot inside an Apple store, but if there is one close to you I'd look into it. Going to a computer store that sells Macs could also be helpful. They should want your sale so hopefully they will give you the attention that you need.

I'm not currently in university, but I've visited the college that I am thinking of attending. In their bookstore, they carry both Macs and PCs. I plan on buying a Mac when this computer dies or before college. I like the look of a Mac and the simpleness of it. I also find Windows to be mildly annoying. If I do get the Mac, I plan on having BootCamp installed. I'd probably have a Mac now if I wasn't dead set on having the best. I'm not going to buy something until I can afford the one with the most fluff.

When you buy your computer, make sure that you have some sort of protection plan on it. It's always a good idea to have insurance and what not.

--A

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 6th 2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunHellend View Post
I went to an Open day at cardiff Uni recently and was given a Tour of the I.T department. Apparently nobody uses the Macs, even though thiers a room full of them lol

Sure their stylish, but thier also childish. If you want a proper experience, get a PC
What do you mean by "childish"?

I'd say that people use windows because they're used to it. In the IT company where I work the only people who don't use macs are those who couldn't convince finance they needed one - and they install linux over it. The mac's just way more professional.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
ShaunHellend Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shaun Hellend

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 6th 2009, 11:26 AM

Well thats what the tour guide told me lol and I've held that opinion for a long time aswell .... like whenever you see a computer in a film or on TV, its always a mac. Thats because its stylish, but they never use them. Thier just there to look good.

For something thats practical, windows are better. And because your actually going to use the thing and not just having it sitting there like some kind of trophy, windows wins again
  Send a message via AIM to ShaunHellend Send a message via MSN to ShaunHellend  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
KnightSniper Offline
Supreme Geek
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 6th 2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well thats what the tour guide told me lol and I've held that opinion for a long time aswell .... like whenever you see a computer in a film or on TV, its always a mac. Thats because its stylish, but they never use them. Thier just there to look good.

For something thats practical, windows are better. And because your actually going to use the thing and not just having it sitting there like some kind of trophy, windows wins again
You see, I don't get stuff like this.

Before I get started, let me just make it clear that while I do own two Macs, I'm not opposed to Windows, so please don't pull the typical "You're just a Mac fanboy" argument on me.

Sure, aesthetically, they may be more pleasing and more movies and shows might be likely to use them, but does that mean that they're only good for that? Does that sound logical at all?

By the way, that was nice how you danced around the question of how Macs are "childish".

The "fact" that people at the university you went to don't use Macs isn't indicative of anything about Macs at all, or their use in different situations. Macs are commonly used in a lot of situations, especially media-centric applications. Hell, there have been Macs at every school I've been to (high school and college), and it's never seemed like anyone has actively avoided them.

"Remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus."-Kevin Smith, opening of "Dogma"

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 6th 2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:

Not true, in The Matrix and Die Hard 4.0 they use linux, but that's another story

You see macs more often because they're mostly used my professionals. For example in the music industry every large recording studio has macs, and most are mac-based (even NIN's live show is run on macs!).

You do have a point in that Apple pride themselves on "the look" (wow, that dude has a Macbook!). However unlike iPods macs are popular for performance reasons as well as a no-nonsense design (I had to undo stuff windows was doing automatically to get a keyboard working once...). Also windows is far too buggy to be depended upon.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: MAC into a pc? - May 6th 2009, 06:41 PM

Some major films are now being edited on Final Cut Pro, which is an editing program that usually runs on Macs. Actually, a lot post production of any digital media is done on Macs, like digital/graphic design, photography or video editing. Photoshop was originally developed on and made for the Mac.

So it's not like the Mac is completely useless. It has an media advantage over PCs, which is and can be more important in this day and age. Not to say that PCs don't have their advantages too - they just don't have the same capabilities in the media department. They also tend to be more reliable, if not user friendly. It does take some getting used to.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread