TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hek2016 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,584, Level: 11 Points: 5,584, Level: 11 Points: 5,584, Level: 11

How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 20th 2015, 09:32 PM

So I'm 16 almost 17 and Im dying to get an iPhone. My current phone is a flip phone. Yes it sucks. I'm embarrassed of it and rarely even use it unless I'm at home. I go to a private rich kid school where almost everyone has iPhones. Probably like 10 out of 200 students don't have iPhones, including me. My family is nowhere near rich. My parents say it's a waste of money, I don't need one, and they will get me one when I graduate high school. I can't wait that long. I feel left out, lame/loser. I get weird looks. It's annoying and it makes me wanna cry. Is there any possible I can convince my parents that I can get an iPhone this summer before my senior year?! Please help. Thanks!
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1164463 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 20th 2015, 09:49 PM

Hi!

I have moved this over to Technology & Gaming because that is where I believe it fits best.

Do you think that you can come to any sort of compromise with your parents? Maybe you can do extra work around the house so that you earn the iPhone, rather than them just giving it to you.

Or perhaps you can get a job, either for the entire school year or throughout the summer, so that you raise enough money to get the iPhone on your own. Or maybe you can raise a certain amount (half, for instance) and your parents may agree to raise the other half. If a job isn't an option right now you can try doing work for neighbors or family.

If not, if people are seriously going to make fun of you or bully you because of the phone you have they aren't true friends anyway.

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hek2016 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,584, Level: 11 Points: 5,584, Level: 11 Points: 5,584, Level: 11

Re: How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 20th 2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Skittlify~* View Post
Hi!

I have moved this over to Technology & Gaming because that is where I believe it fits best.

Do you think that you can come to any sort of compromise with your parents? Maybe you can do extra work around the house so that you earn the iPhone, rather than them just giving it to you.

Or perhaps you can get a job, either for the entire school year or throughout the summer, so that you raise enough money to get the iPhone on your own. Or maybe you can raise a certain amount (half, for instance) and your parents may agree to raise the other half. If a job isn't an option right now you can try doing work for neighbors or family.

If not, if people are seriously going to make fun of you or bully you because of the phone you have they aren't true friends anyway.

-Dez
I do have a job. I've been working since July 2014. I pay for my own car insurance, gas, and currently paying my car off. My mom is unemployeed, so My money I use to pay off my car goes to my parents to help with bills. I do a lot around the house. Plus school and work. Its a lot for a 16 yr old to do. I've suggested paying for it myself,but they won't let me because I have everything else to pay for.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29 Points: 41,173, Level: 29

Re: How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 20th 2015, 10:52 PM

Hey.

I suggest you sit down with your parents and explain why you want one and the pros vs cons. You can explain that you will be willing to pay for the phone or pay for a decided amount. You can always do odd jobs around the house or help out family or neighbours to earn money above and beyond your job. You could also mention the chores you do around the house.

I don't know what generation of iPhone you are looking for but you can always check the Apple website or a store to see if they have any refurbished iPhones. Also, getting a generation previous to the newest one will usually be cheaper. Most cell companies have the earlier generations for $0 as well on a two year plan.

If you do research on finding a good deal on the phone and plan it might assist you in convincing your parents.

Good luck.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26 Points: 33,884, Level: 26

Re: How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 20th 2015, 11:14 PM

Maybe it's because I'm so much older and phones weren't such a big deal 10 years ago, but being raised by a single mom I know what it means for money to be tight. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 17 and my mom and I shared it until it died, then we went without for 6 years until I started graduate school and it was mostly for safety reasons because I was going to be on a college campus by myself and needed to keep in contact.

I know it can be tough when you don't have the same things that everyone else has, but sometimes life happens and it's not fair and you can't afford it because that's just the way things are. That doesn't mean it's anyone else's business or that you have to explain yourself to people who want to bully you for something like this. Focus on what you do have instead of what you don't.

It sounds like your parents are teaching you to spend your money on more important things which will be a good lesson later on when you're fully supporting yourself.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29 Points: 43,443, Level: 29

Re: How to convince my parents to let me get an iPhone?! - January 21st 2015, 06:05 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying.

Who cares if you don't have an iPhone? You would be surprised that not every single person in the world has an iPhone. Do not worry about what the other kids think about your cell phone.

I agree with what Dez is saying. Maybe you could ask your parents if they could pay half and you would pay the other half.

Another thing you could look into is that there are some cell phones that are fairly cheap and not all that expensive.

Member Since 1/15/2012
Closed Thread