TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   is there a way to access chatroom on school computer? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t140347-there-way-access-chatroom-school-computer/)

Not_here September 1st 2015 06:38 PM

is there a way to access chatroom on school computer?

Hey all,
At my school there's a few types of computers.

There's the mac computers that are in the place with free printing so I don't go there unless I need to print. And chat doesn't work there. There's library computers which I avoid-I avoid the library because it is cold and gloomy XD
Now this is the type of computer I use often...
these computers are out (in an open lounge with no supervision or specific room) and I like these the best. The thing is I used to be able to go on TH chat if I used the firefox or internet explorer browser but sometime during the summer I started getting a message that Java needs to be updated. So I go ahead and download the Java thing but I need the Admin's password which I don't have because it is a school computer :P
only 2 computer labs work for TH chat now and the atmosphere is super strict, like I feel guilty going there if I'm not working on a 20 page paper XD
When I go to those labs, there's a popup from Java but I can select "run this time" and I can do that every time and it works.
So my question is...is there a way to sorta bypass the need for an update? like is there some way to go to TH chat from the lounge type of computers by doing some sort of similar thing as " run this time"? Is there something in the settings or tools or something?
I looked it up on google and haven't found anything, so wondering if any of you got a trick up your sleeve :P

Thank you in advance

edit: I'm looking closer and this is not an update for Java. It seems like Java is not installed at all so I guess there may not be any way for this.

hello_goodbye September 1st 2015 10:43 PM

Re: is there a way to access chatroom on school computer?

What EXACTLY happens when you try to access the chat on the school computer you prefer? Be as exact as possible, and I may be able to help. :)

Not_here September 2nd 2015 02:22 AM

I'll try to screenshot it tomorrow at school. Thank you for offering to help.

Not_here September 2nd 2015 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is what I get

hello_goodbye September 5th 2015 11:27 AM

No problem! I'm happy to help. :) The screenshot is too small, I can't read the writing at the top of the page. Try going to this link (I've had to break it up as I'm not yet allowed to post links, just delete the spaces):
h t t p://w w w.java. com/en/download/installed8.jsp
to check if Java is installed.

Not_here September 19th 2015 09:42 PM

There's an admin protection and yesterday I checked again and the entire teenhelp site is blocked at school now. Odd, well I haven't checked the computer lab that teenhelp chat usually works at if it still works. This thread can be closed because I don't think there's an answer to this :P Thank you for the reply though!

UncleAlan September 23rd 2015 02:25 AM

I have some experience in networks, but I do not know how your school admins set up their network. Mine uses a proxy that filters out certain URLs, such as facebook and etc.

Go on google and search for a telnet client. I understand there are ALOT of telnet servers that are basically just IRC-like chatrooms. I do not have a list, since I have moved on from this and went to "greater" things, such as pentesting. Google it, and how telnet works. It is pretty fun to use. :)