TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Motherboard BIOS Update? - October 14th 2015, 10:25 AM

Okay so I've had some problems with my graphics card in a game. My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 270 that I bought about a year ago.
I fixed the game but it was a problem with the game and the mod itself and not my graphics card.
When I tried to fix the game, I updated my graphics card driver to AMD Catalyst 14.9 (I had 13.1 before, I think) that I downloaded on some other site than AMD but about 30000 other people downloaded it as well so I thought it wouldn't be such a big problem (also the installation was successful and nothing bad happened).

Now when I try to play the game (mostly the only game I do play nowadays. I used to be a gamer but I draw more than that and also I've got a lot of other stuff to do and don't really play many games anymore), sometimes my driver crashes, many particles come up on my screen and the message, "The display driver (AMD driver) didn't respond anymore and was restored" comes up then my display looks normal again but the game crashed (I don't know the english message; my pc is fully in german).

I googled the german message and found a thread in a forum saying that you should see how hot the card gets.
In the end someone said that updating their bios helped. My bios is 1103 and the last supported update is 1603.

Maybe I should also mention that everything worked fine with my previous Catalyst version, besides a few screen things but those were minor.
The problems appeared after I installed Catalyst 14.9.
Though I had the message sometimes on the previous Catalyst version as well, it was not as much as this.

I am asking if I should update to the latest supported bios version because I read somewhere that you shouldn't update your bios version unless anything major is in the changelog and it would improve greatly because otherwise it can bring up more problems. In the changelog of the updates (mostly all after 1103) the only thing there is "Improve system stability".

So I don't know if I should update because, yes the problem might be fixed, but otherwise if anything goes wrong, I'd need to buy another motherboard or even more problems appear.

EDIT:
My graphics card:
AMD Radeon R9 270
Currently installed Catalyst version: 14.9
My Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX
Currently installed BIOS version: 1103

Additional specs (in case this might be relevant too):
Processor: AMD FX 6100 @ 3300 MHz
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

By the way, can anyone also tell me if my motherboard supports the "AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400 MHz CL11" CPU? If not then that's okay too. ^^

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!

Last edited by Wolfz; October 14th 2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added the specs for the here relevant topic

(#2 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Motherboard BIOS Update? - October 14th 2015, 10:34 AM

hey i just bought my new game pc 745 euros download a new driver sorry if i dont help much

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Motherboard BIOS Update? - October 14th 2015, 05:13 PM

Did you check your GPU temps?
Does this happen with other games?
Have you tried installing and reinstalling the drivers?
Have you cleaned your card?
Have you checked the card is in properly?
Have you tried the card in another computer to see if you problem still occurs?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wolfz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Colin

Re: Motherboard BIOS Update? - October 17th 2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ. View Post
Did you check your GPU temps?
Does this happen with other games?
Have you tried installing and reinstalling the drivers?
Have you cleaned your card?
Have you checked the card is in properly?
Have you tried the card in another computer to see if you problem still occurs?
  1. Yes and they seem normal.
  2. No.
  3. I probably should. The last time I cleaned it was about 2 to 3 months ago I think.. or less. I don't correctly remember.
  4. Yes the card is properly in since most of my games run without any problems just this one doesn't.
  5. No and I can't because the card barely even fit in my PC and... well.. I don't want to have to pull any metal aside in any other computer.. but nothing was damaged at mine though.

Colin / 17 / Pre-op Trans-Guy
on T since 12/21/16

If you need someone to talk or if you have questions, feel free to PM or VM me.
I am always here!

Closed Thread