TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

What do you think about facebook mobile without chat? - September 19th 2016, 12:39 AM

Facebook wants to make chat almost like texting - so that you can just have the messenger app running in the background and get notified of messages without having to log in- this was a good plan for the direction that they want to take facebook in a time of mobile devices.

What I don't like is how they implemented this change. Facebook suddenly made it impossible to use chat on their mobile site- to force you to download their new app. To me this sucks. I have found myself using facebook on my phone significantly less since this change- as I can't get used to having the website and chat not on the same platform. It is too inconvenient. I am hoping that once enough people get the new app, they bring back messaging to the mobile site- since a 2 platform system--one for regular facebook, one for messaging is not at all user friendly. I don't think that this was a good idea at all. I spend most of my internet time on mobile devices- and I want the full site-or something close to it, when I use websites. I don't want a website like facebook to be missing something as important as chat from the platform. But I guess when the messenger app was voluntary- they weren't getting enough people to download it--but idk, to me it is just super annoying to see that I got a new message on the mobile site, but be unable to open it without closing out of my internet browser and going to my facebook messenger app. Not to mention, it completely takes away the ability to use facebook mobile site and messaging simultaneously----which in a world where mobile devices are used more than laptops, is a pretty serious limitation.

What do you think? It has been several months and I have still not adapted to this change.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: What do you think about facebook mobile without chat? - September 19th 2016, 01:33 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean. I refused to get the messenger app when they introduced it years ago, and took messaging out of the Facebook mobile app. Since then I've used my internet browser on my phone for messages just fine, and I just checked and it's still working. I've been using it all week.

I really only have two friends I talk to through Facebook chat so it doesn't bother me TOO much. On one hand it's nice being able to have the messaging without the rest of Facebook on a phone, but only if you want one without the other. For someone who wants both it's pretty annoying.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: What do you think about facebook mobile without chat? - September 19th 2016, 02:00 AM

I have this problem too. And you know what really sucks? I found a way to bypass this whole thing by going to desktop mode on my tablet. But then when I'm on TH chat, I NEED to have android mode as TH chat wont work on mobile unless it's on android mode. So...that's my dilemma.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What do you think about facebook mobile without chat? - September 22nd 2016, 06:29 PM

I only recently had this occur, during the summer sometime, and I didn't like it at first but it's gotten better. I end up getting my messages sooner because of the app which is a plus.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: What do you think about facebook mobile without chat? - September 24th 2016, 01:03 AM

I don't dislike the interface itself; that's fine. I just really dislike being forced to download it. With my last phone it got to the point where the battery couldn't handle many apps, which meant that I could access the mobile site reasonably easily but having the messenger app installed caused problems. Which was fine back when Facebook gave us the option of downloading it, because I just didn't, but then I stopped being able to access messages on the mobile site and could only read them using a battery-draining app that my phone wasn't able to operate properly. This led to me using Facebook a lot less, and even now with my new phone I tend not to use it simply because I find it very inconvenient. I much prefer being able to log into the actual site and being able to see all my notifications and my feed all in the one place.

TL;DR: I don't like the fact that I was forced to download the app, and I don't find it convenient at all.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread