TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology, Gamers and Gadgets This forum is for discussions about your games, technology, the latest apps or cool gadgets

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - August 31st 2021, 02:12 AM

So, something weird happened last night, and I figured I'd reach out here to see if anyone knows whether it was just a one-off glitch or whether I should be worried.

For context I have a Samsung Galaxy, I've had it for about two and a half years and I haven't had many problems with it (aside from an intermittent battery issue that seems to have resolved itself). I don't make many phone calls or texts, I mostly use apps or the web. I have been getting an unusually high amount of spam calls/texts recently (mostly telling me that I have a 'voicd mesadge' to listen to or a 'pakage' to pick up, followed by a link), but I always just delete and block those.

Anyway. Last night I left my phone charging in another room for an hour or so. During that time nobody went into that room, and the phone wasn't moved or touched at all. But when I picked it up, I had a text from a family member in response to a message from half an hour ago. Needless to say I did not send that message, and there's nobody else who could have. It was a very generic message (think the suggested responses you get after typing out an email) and kind of made sense as a response, and it also sounded like something that I would have written. Except I didn't.

The only thing I can think is that I did write that message, ages ago, and it somehow never went through until now? I don't know why it would have gone through now, or when I would have written it to begin with, but I can't think of any other explanations.

So, tech-savvy friends, does this sound like a potential problem, or just a weird one off?

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - August 31st 2021, 10:00 PM

Maybe your phone is haunted. That is really weird. I'm not the tech-savvy one in our household but you made me think of something: how rural/populated is the area you live in?

It is pretty rural where I am and sometimes I have to leave the house to make a phone call or send a text message, especially if it is long or if I am trying to send in image. On rare occasions my mom or brother will get a text message 3+ hours later. Same happens for me. It just takes longer for it to go through.

Maybe something weird happened with it and you did type the message a long time ago but it didn't go through for a few months or something? I don't know if a message can be 'stuck' for that long or not. Maybe it could though? I mean, a lot of us have been home especially depending on where we live with the covid lockdowns and stuff.

Editing to say you might have a virus/malware which was the other thing that came to mind. Here's an FAQ that has a brief paragraph on it.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - September 2nd 2021, 10:04 PM

This might come across a bit silly but, have you virus scanned your phone at all? A lot of people don't actually realise our phones can have viruses, and that we can download anti-virus apps for our phones. Avast! is one that you can find on the Google Play store and is legitimate as it's for desktop as well.

Other than that, one thing I could suggest is to actually sift through your messages that you may feel were in response to your text message and see if there were any related conversations. But I imagine that would be very time consuming.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46 Points: 106,677, Level: 46

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - September 3rd 2021, 08:54 AM

Thank you both for your responses! I'm not in a rural area and I've never had network issues, so a message not going through immediately would be unusual. I ran a virus scan (using the mobile version of the antivirus software I use for my laptop, so I know it's reliable) and it didn't pick anything up. I also checked data and battery usage to see if any apps were behaving strangely, but everything seems to be working the way it should. Aside from that one mystery message nothing strange seems to be going on, so I guess it's either a glitch... or a ghost.

you're a werewolf."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
kirilpopinin Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - January 29th 2022, 12:42 AM

I think your phone is just out of order, as I have experienced this problem myself. I doubt your account could have been hacked, as your page would have been frozen immediately due to suspicious activity.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Astro04 Offline
Community Mentor

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Luca

Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10 Points: 4,929, Level: 10

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - January 29th 2022, 09:10 AM

Hmm... first, check for updates. Then scan it with an antivirus and antimalware.
That will allow you to know if something malicious gets in the phone.
If not, probably you have not remember the message was actually send! It's higly improbably the phone did things as he likes it!
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - January 29th 2022, 08:45 PM

Thank you all for your responses! Since the issue hasn't repeated itself and my phone is otherwise in perfect working order, I'm happy for this thread to be closed now.

you're a werewolf."
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
kirilpopinin Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3 Points: 486, Level: 3

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - February 1st 2022, 08:53 PM

I also encountered such a problem. Social media messages were sending themselves, and I had to justify myself to those to whom these messages were sent. Most of them were my business partners, and I was in a lot of trouble because of that. I decided to change my phone, and a passerby in the store where I wanted to buy a phone advised me to read the [edited which I could use to solve my problem.

Last edited by Ennui.; February 1st 2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Spam
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Apparently my phone doesn't need me anymore. - February 1st 2022, 09:36 PM

Closing upon your request

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
Closed Thread