TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MaggzB Offline
I love him so much <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Maggie

help i need to fix my computer - July 1st 2009, 02:56 PM

i get a blue screen

i was told to post the following

UNMOUTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

0x000000ED (0x864c7900, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

any help PLEASE i need things on my computer (its a dell laptop) and i absolutely cant reformat

i love you <3
  Send a message via AIM to MaggzB Send a message via MSN to MaggzB Send a message via Yahoo to MaggzB Send a message via Skype™ to MaggzB 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 1st 2009, 08:04 PM

Ouch. Ouch ouch.

Basically what it's saying is that it can't read from the hard disk.

There's no way I can fix this without actually having the PC in my hands. You need Silver's telepathic powers.

Wait while I'm at it did you try to start the PC again after this happened? Might be a once-off.

Last edited by Union Of V; July 1st 2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 2nd 2009, 01:34 AM

xD, thanks for the intro Basil

There's a few possibilities. I'll go through them from bad to worst. But the first thing to do is to head into BIOS. Most Dell's use the F2 key, so start the computer, and when the DELL logo comes up, press F2 until "Entering Setup" shows up on screen.
Then use the on screen navigation to find the page with the drives listed. Once you're on that page, check if your hard drive shows up. It might be listed as an IDE or SATA drive - those are key words that you're looking for. It should also be on the same page as your CD/DVD drive drive - just to help you find it.

If the hard drive isn't listed there, either the connection has come loose, or the hard drive is dead. It's a Dell Laptop, so if it's still under warranty, send it back to them and get them to check it out. If not, get someone who knows what they're doing with computers to open it up and make sure it's fully connected correctly.
If the connection is fine, try the same hard drive in another laptop, or use a drive enclosure to turn the hard drive into a USB device. This is just to test if the laptop's own connectors aren't broken. You can also do this by putting another hard drive into the computer.
Note - get a professional to do this. It's all too easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing.

If, on the other hand, it does show up in the BIOS screen, which is most likely seeing as it can still get to Windows to even show the BSOD message, you have better options.
You need the Windows install or recovery disc to do this. If you don't have one, borrow one from someone who does.
Boot to the disc and press R to get to the recovery console. (I'm assuming XP here, Vista will be slightly similar, but you can use the mouse to click). Once you're in recovery mode, use type "chkdsk /r" (without quotes).
That will scan the disk for errors and try to fix it.

It might still be a connection issue if it's only partially connected, so the same as above - open and reconnect the drive.

I'll come back to this thread in the morning and carry on. But the worst case scenario - complete hard drive failure. Data cannot be recovered.

Questions for you:
What operating system?
Which Dell are you using?
What BIOS version? (The boot screen should say it, or the BIOS itself when you press F2 to get into it).

Last edited by Deep Brown Eyes; July 2nd 2009 at 06:32 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MaggzB Offline
I love him so much <3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 2nd 2009, 03:09 PM

op system-windows xp
dell inspirion 1520

bios? no clue

i love you <3
  Send a message via AIM to MaggzB Send a message via MSN to MaggzB Send a message via Yahoo to MaggzB Send a message via Skype™ to MaggzB 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 2nd 2009, 06:47 PM

Wiped out 2 paragraphs from the first post. If the hard drive had connectivity issues or was completely dead, the system wouldn't get to the BSOD and would fail boot completely.

That leaves a corrupted disk or disk failure.
From my first post, follow the instructions to scan the disk with "chkdsk /r".
Once you've used chkdsk /r, type exit and the computer will reboot. If it doesn't load up into windows, go back into recovery mode, and this time type "chkdsk /p" (without quotes). Then, once it's finished, type "fixboot" (again, without the quotes) and let it go ahead on C:.
That will write a new boot sector to the hard drive which *should* fix it.

If it doesn't...it's pretty much dead. If you want to, you could try using it as a secondary drive (as a USB device) on a working computer to recover your data, but given that it's a laptop hard drive, it's not as easy to do as a desktop.
It might be repairable by re-formatting and installing a clean copy of Windows on it, but that means you lose your data, and it's not even a certainty - if the drive is completely gone, even a reinstall won't work.

-Adz

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MaggzB Offline
I love him so much <3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 2nd 2009, 08:10 PM

oki ima try that later when i get home thanks a ton!

i love you <3
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 2nd 2009, 09:44 PM

Let me know how it goes! Good luck

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MaggzB Offline
I love him so much <3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 3rd 2009, 01:51 AM

my CD didnt work so i said fuck it and reformated now all my stuff is gone but i have a computer at least

i love you <3
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: help i need to fix my computer - July 3rd 2009, 12:35 PM

awww that sucks.
I'm going to close this, but if you want it reopened, PM me.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread