TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Noctis Offline
Scary Sharp
Average Joe

Deciding on a new iMac - July 5th 2009, 09:51 AM

So I'm pretty much set on getting a new Apple computer instead of a PC. All that's left is to decide which one to get.

I'm split between these two:
$1,767.95
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
640GB Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
8x double-layer SuperDrive

$2,517.95
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.0TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

As you can see, the main upgrade between the two would be to the processor and the Graphics card.

I have a nasty tendency to go for the "best of the best" or the most expensive piece of hardware in a lineup. Which is why I burned $4,000 on a laptop that is now dying slowly at it's 3rd year.

I mostly use my computer to play DVDs(most of them aren't HD), go on Facebook, YouTube, and type up resumes once a year. I don't play a lot of games on it(used to play MMORPGs, but not now). If there's one game I might get for my computer, it'll be Starcraft 2 when it's released.

To me, the most important thing is that I can use my computer, at least for 5 years, without it lagging with every other click, and having the start up and shut down take 15 minutes each(which is why I typically only shut down my laptop once every month or two).

"I am the shadow cast by the light of science."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rob Offline
Project Coordinator

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Rob

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 5th 2009, 10:01 AM

The first one. The difference between those two computers is not worth $750. There's not really much point of going for the "best of the best", because the rapid growth of the computer industry means you'll be out of date in a couple of months regardless of which one you buy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Noctis Offline
Scary Sharp
Average Joe

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 5th 2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The first one. The difference between those two computers is not worth $750. There's not really much point of going for the "best of the best", because the rapid growth of the computer industry means you'll be out of date in a couple of months regardless of which one you buy.
True.
However, I don't abandon a computer and get a new one simply because a better one just came out in the market.
I buy mine to use for years, and my record so far is roughly 2-3 years per computer.
With the 3 year warranty plan, I can at least guarantee that it'll work for that time period.
Though I suppose the more expensive model doesn't mean it'll last any longer than the cheaper one, especially if they're both iMacs.

I'm leaning towards the first choice, but more because of the fact that it's unlikely I'll need all that processing power and graphics card, unless I'm watching dirty movies in High Definition(it's tempting, but I doubt it's worth the $750 price gap).

"I am the shadow cast by the light of science."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 5th 2009, 11:00 AM

I'd go with the first one too, for basically the same reasons Rob stated
Also, there's no official word on the system requirements for StarCraft 2, but I did find a leaked bit of information here: GosuGamers StarCraft | News: StarCraft 2 System Requirements revealed

So even the first system would be fine with it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 5th 2009, 01:27 PM

I would love an iMac, money is the only problem. Plus I'm that addicted to windows, I think I'd regret it after a few months and go crazy. I do agree with Rob though, the first one is such a better value for money as the difference between the two is barely anything.
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 17th 2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis View Post
So I'm pretty much set on getting a new Apple computer instead of a PC. All that's left is to decide which one to get.

I'm split between these two:
$1,767.95
2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
640GB Serial ATA Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

$2,517.95
3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1.0TB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

As you can see, the main upgrade between the two would be to the processor and the Graphics card.

I have a nasty tendency to go for the "best of the best" or the most expensive piece of hardware in a lineup. Which is why I burned $4,000 on a laptop that is now dying slowly at it's 3rd year.

I mostly use my computer to play DVDs(most of them aren't HD), go on Facebook, YouTube, and type up resumes once a year. I don't play a lot of games on it(used to play MMORPGs, but not now). If there's one game I might get for my computer, it'll be Starcraft 2 when it's released.

To me, the most important thing is that I can use my computer, at least for 5 years, without it lagging with every other click, and having the start up and shut down take 15 minutes each(which is why I typically only shut down my laptop once every month or two).
IF you purchase a PC with those prices. Your computer would be alot faster.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 17th 2009, 10:33 PM

The first one. Better graphics card too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
IF you purchase a PC with those prices. Your computer would be alot faster.

Apple last freaking FOREVER though.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Algernon; July 17th 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 18th 2009, 12:10 AM

I was thinking about getting an iMac like that, I will get a free iTouch with it if I buy it from Apple's website because I'm going to be a college student.

But they are so motherf*cking expensive, Macs just have too much hype to be honest. With those specs on a PC, the exact same specs, you could be getting them on a PC for more than half of the cost.

With what you mentioned what you plan on doing, you might as well go with another PC, you wouldn't be fully utilizing what Macs offer. And they definitely are not computers that can play video games as smooth as PCs can.

But like you said, you have a nasty habit of wanting to get the best of the best, you might regret it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 18th 2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
The first one. Better graphics card too.

Apple last freaking FOREVER though.

Not really, the Imac desktop have been known to have heat issues. and Heat is one of the leading causes of system failures...

And PC's can be more reliable than apple.

Consumer Reports reported that 20 percent of Lenovo(fromer IBM) laptops will need repairs were as 23 percent of Apple computers need repairs...

But those are the top brands in reliablity.

That just shows you PC's can be as reliable, or more reliable as a Apple product. It really depends on how well the manufacture pick the parts.

HP and Compaq are the worst ones. but HP's are sexy somtimes and they lure buyers.

Dell is actually pretty good. As well as Toshiba(laptops)

Gate Way is up there too.

Besides I think, most computers will last for as long as the hard driver and as long as the case is well ventilated and cool. Computers these days uses really similar parts. One of the biggest differiencators is the case. Always check out its ablility to cool down. Because it greatly impacts the performance and reliablity.

Like apple computers uses Intel processors, and the Nvidia, ATI graphics card and the Seagate Hard drives. Those are all pretty much pc parts.

My Main concern is the MotherBoard(MB) it is ussally the most expensive part in a Laptop, and a MAC. In a PC Desktop its actually pretty cheap and reliable. (laptop's can over heat easily! and small form factor desktops, that are alot narrower than traditional desktops.)

A laptop Motherboard for both Mac laptops and PC's is around 350-600 plus about 75 dollars/hour in labour

On the other hand PC desktops mother board starts around 70 bucks to 200 bucks from cheapest to hi end and 75 buck per labour.

Last edited by Tomb; July 18th 2009 at 02:20 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 18th 2009, 11:06 AM

OP has chosen Apple so Im not going to get into the PC MAC arguement about reliability, just say I love Macs (:

If you do hve problems with over heating I dont know any proper solutions But I noticed my Macbook getting hot and dowloaded an App which you can turn the fan up a little and keep an eey on the temperature, should add to the life of it a little... Take from the fans life, but with Apple care it dont matter (:

And yeah Id go for the first one and if you were to run out of storage, get an external HD with the extra $700 you've got

One thing I will say is if you are a college or Uni student, see if you can get discounts, not only for the Mac its self, but also for the Apple care, it was something like 200, and I got it for... 50 :s or something crazy like that?!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Henk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Henk

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 19th 2009, 12:28 AM

I'm in the most large Mac communities around this country (the Netherlands) and i haven't heard of the iMac overheating issues. If it's the case Apple will probably OR cover it with warranty OR release a software patch within a few weeks.

In the meantime, SMC Fan Control (sorry but you'll have to Google it since my postcount is too low) will keep your Mac cool. This nifty little app lets you adjust fan speeds, it however will only let you increase them so you never run the risk of accidentally letting your Mac overheat..

Ps: Go for the first one, iMacs are never a bad choice.

Go ahead and tell me what my future looks like

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mikey09 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 19th 2009, 12:48 AM

Hmm, What are you using your iMac for?

I personally think you should go for a p.c, or better yet for for the fun side and make one, You can make a VERY high end p.c for less then $1k and X10 better then those imacs there. But its all depending on what your buying it for or if you just prefer iMac's all together. I dont know how people could :S lol

Anyway if i HAD to pick one off that list id be totally insane but i would pick the cheapest one.
  Send a message via MSN to Mikey09  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
KnightSniper Offline
Supreme Geek
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 20th 2009, 06:54 PM

Why is it that people are so deadset in here about convincing the thread starter away from a Mac? Noctis said they were set on a Mac. Why not respect their decision and simply advise them on their actual question?

Anyways, Noctis, are you sure you really need that much RAM? Seems like an awful lot for your uses. Though I really won't question the amount of hard drive space, as I'm currently trying to survive on a netbook with an 8 GB SSD and an 8 GB SDHC card, and it frankly sucks...

But really, I'd say your first choice would probably be powerful enough (and frankly, I'd LOVE to have an iMac like that ).

"Remember: even God has a sense of humor. Just look at the platypus."-Kevin Smith, opening of "Dogma"

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 21st 2009, 02:39 AM

About the heat issue i mentioned, i think its a general problem for all pc/macs most of these systems have dinky fans. compared to a full blown desktop(regardless of make).

So if you have a laptop make sure the fans can breath.

Or power down the system using the power managment system provided. Reduce the CPU and raise the fan to max. if its unnsally hot in the area.

For the small form fact macs/pc's give them space to breath they are living tooo

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Good Morning Offline
Shortcake!
Not a n00b

Name: Sydney

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 21st 2009, 03:33 AM

Hate to say it, but for all you PC lovers - you get what you pay for. I have yet to find a reliable PC and I've grown up around computers and have been living with 'em my entire life. Love my iMac. <3

BUT let's not get into that discussion. OP, as far as the decision between your first and second choice, I'd go with the first. As Rob already mentioned, the differences aren't worth $750 more. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to notice any difference except for the amount you'll save.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Deciding on a new iMac - July 21st 2009, 12:27 PM

Yeah let's not have this be a rather nasty Mac vs PC debate. Keep it nice kids.

Go with the cheaper one. They're the same basic system. The processor will be a tad bit slower but I think it won't be noticeable.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread