TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Can't use the internet - July 6th 2009, 10:12 PM

My Mom's computer messed up. Ugh. She can't use the internet on her Dell PC at all. It just randomly stopped working one night. It's not her internet or cables or anything like that, it's something wrong with the computer. She called Dell up and said she could pay so much money for them to take a look at it, and it's some software problem, but I think that's bull and they just want your money.

Any ideas why she can't use her internet anymore? If it helps, she has high speed as well.

Nothing else is wrong with her computer. She can do everything but use the internet.

She's also not computer savvy, so it's hard helping her over the internet, since I don't live near her.

Any help would be appreciated. =)

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Can't use the internet - July 6th 2009, 10:58 PM

Is she on a wired or wireless network?
What operating system?
What's the model number of the Dell machine? (EG. Inspiron 9300)

Quick random things to try -
Open CMD (as admin on Vista), type in
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
Once that's done, type
Code:
ipconfig /release
followed by
Code:
ipconfig /renew
Also, make sure the browser isn't set to work offline mode. xD

If none of that fixes it, I'll need the answers to the questions above.

If she has MSN, ask her to try logging into that. When it fails, run the troubleshooter. That will provide a list of connectivity checks such as "IP Address" and "Key Ports" etc. Ask her for the name of the one it fails at.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Re: Can't use the internet - July 8th 2009, 09:30 PM

Well, she has a wired connection and has Windows XP. She doesn't know the make of her comp, haha she's not sure where the papers are.

PM VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Can't use the internet - July 8th 2009, 10:42 PM

Did any of the commands I suggested work? Also, the msn troubleshooter would help.

Has she installed any new software recently, including firewalls?

More things to check
  • When she puts the cable into the computer, does it flash at all? If not, either the cable is damaged, or the network drivers aren't installed/the ethernet port is disabled.
    • First check that the network drivers are installed.
      1. Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.
      2. Expand the "Network Adapters" section. If it has a yellow exclamation mark, the drivers aren't installed. She'll either need the CD, or somehow download them from the Dell website.
    • If that is fine, check if the device is enabled.
      1. Double-click the device to open it's information box. On one of the tabs, it should have a drop-down menu, with the current selection set as "Use this device (Enabled)". If it says that it's disabled, re-enable it.
      2. There should also be a big text box that says "This device is working correctly". If there's any thing else, it will tell you what the problem is.
    • Now check the if the cable is damaged.
      1. Either replace the cable; or
      2. Connect another computer to the router through the same wire. Actually, while you're at that, connect the second computer with another wire too. If it doesn't work with the first wire, but does with the second, the problem is the wire. But if it doesn't work with either wire, the problem is the router.
  • If the light does flash, it's a software problem. We first need to test how far the computer is able to connect - none, local network or internet.
    • The first place to look is the network properties
      1. Open the Network Connections folder from the start menu. Double click Local Area Network (or whatever name it has). It will open a dialog-box with a bunch of info on it. If it doesn't open, right click it and select "Status".
      2. The first thing you should is see is the "Status". If it says "Not Connected" it means it can't connect to the router. If it says "Limited Connectivity" it means that it can connect to the router, but not the internet. If it says "Connected" it's theoretically connected to the internet.
      3. If it says "Not Connected", do the following:
        1. Open a new command-prompt window (Start > Run > type "cmd" (without quotes))
        2. Type in: "ping 127.0.0.1" (without quotes) and wait for the response.
        3. It will run the ping 4 times and display the summary once it's done. If it says 0% loss, the router is the problem. If it says 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% loss, the problem is with the TCP/IP installation. I'll tell you how to fix it, if you confirm that is the problem.
      4. If it says "Limited connectivity", it's connecting to the router but not the internet.
        1. The first test is to use another computer - wire up another computer to the router and see if the internet works on there. If it does, the problem has been isolated to the other computer. If it doesn't, the problem is isolated to the router.
          • If it's the router - unplug it, leave it for 10 minutes, then re-connect it. If you're still unable to connect, you'll need to contact your ISP.
        2. At this point, the problem is isolated to your computer not being able to connect to the internet. If you get to this point, let me know and I'll start troubleshooting for this scenario.
      5. If it says "Connected"...I'm stumped. You should be able to connect.
        • Again, I recommend using the Windows Live Messenger troubleshooter as that will help identify where the problem is.
        • Again, make sure the browsers aren't set to offline modes.
        • Make sure that the firewall isn't blocking the browser.
        • Check your HOSTS file
          1. Open C: drive, and go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\. There will be a file in there called HOSTS.
          2. Right click it and select "Open". Windows won't recognise the filetype, so you'll have to manually select notepad. The file should be exactly:
            Code:
            # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                  #
                  # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                  #
                  # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                  # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                  # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                  # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                  # space.
                  #
                  # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                  # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                  #
                  # For example:
                  #
                  # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
                  # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host 
                     127.0.0.1 localhost
            If it's anything else, overwrite it with this copy and immediately update and run anti-virus scans for viruses, spyware, adware and everything else you can.

Run out of steam to write any more. That should keep you busy for a while though.

Happy troubleshooting!

-Adz

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Re: Can't use the internet - July 12th 2009, 09:02 PM

So, my Mom's done everything that you suggested, and still nothing. The odd thing is, that they took her computer to someone else's house and it worked on their internet fine, but at home, yet it doesn't work. She doesn't know what to do anymore. She's not sure if she should send it back to Dell or just buy a new one. It's horrible how stressed she is and how upset she is about everything, but I guess there's nothing else we can do to make it work. No one has a clue as to why it won't work at her house, but at every other location. She has another computer and a laptop, and the internet works fine on the both of them. It's so weird.

Nvm, she got it working. She was on the phone with someone from Dell today and he was really nice and helpful, and somehow he fixed it. So, she's so happy and they're so relieved. I guess her computer wasn't recognizing her IP address, thus why she couldn't go online. Thank god all of this is over, haha. Thanks a lot for everything, Silver. =) <3

PM VM

Last edited by Hollifire; July 12th 2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Multiple posts have been merged automatically.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Can't use the internet - July 12th 2009, 09:58 PM

Yaaay for having internet back. Since the problem has been fixed, I'm going to close this.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread