TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Computer Problems - July 9th 2009, 02:08 PM

My mom is having some computer problems. It hasn't happened before she made multiple accounts for her, me, and my sister. Now, she has made those accounts and put restrictions on my sister's account. Then, we found out that her account is not working and she had been asking me for my password. My mom put the restrictions on mine to see what would happen and I thought I would ask you guys for some help. If it helps, we have Window's Vista. So, can you help?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Computer Problems - July 10th 2009, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure I fully understand, but I think your sister is locked out of her account?
If so, your mum needs to either change or remove your sisters password.

On Vista, open Control Panel and then go to User Accounts. Find your sisters account and remove/change password. That has to be done through your mums account if she's the administrator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Computer Problems - July 11th 2009, 11:40 AM

No....she not locked out of her account, but her account doesn't work, like the internet doesn't work. My sister did install a lot of things on the computer which may be the cause but the internet works perfectly on my mom's account. My mom tried to put the same amount of restrictions on my account to see if my internet would still work and it didn't.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Computer Problems - July 11th 2009, 03:36 PM

Okay, so the restrictions that your mum placed on both your accounts stops you both from accessing the internet?

I had a look through the parental controls for vista, and I came up with two possible causes. Either she has restricted your accounts from running your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc), or she has set the web filter to high, and only allowed specific websites to be accessed.

If you go to the parental controls for the account, first check the "Allow and Block specific programs" and make sure whatever browser you use is in the Allow list, or that the account is allowed to use all programs.

If it is already allowed, go to the web-filter and reduce the setting from High. If it's on custom, make sure 'Unratable Content' isn't ticked, as that will probably block a lot of content.
Also, there is an allow/block list, with a setting to only allow access to what's on the allow list. Everything else, regardless of whether it's on the block list or not, will be blocked. Make sure that the box isn't ticked.

Hope that helps.

Closed Thread