TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 18th 2009, 02:27 AM

In terms of advancements i believe that computing power will be less and less important in the near future of the computer industry for the mainstream consumer.

Think about it the avg cost of a computer have changed dramatically because of the netbook(mini laptop). People are buying these things in this recession and alot find it adequet for their needs, simple music, surf, typing and ect..

I know alot of them are not hardcore gamers..., or video/photo editors, these types of people do not need a quad core. its pretty much pointless.

I think in the future computer, computer manufactures (not suppliers) rely less on fire power and more on convience. Like Built in Wireless(3G not wifi), touch screen, and possibly dual touch screen. And other touches that will make the computer a more unique exprience to what we have in the present. Either that or the PC have become a commondity(more than ever before)

Tell me your thoughts...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 18th 2009, 10:57 AM

Whether it kicks off or not I dont know, but theres a new gaming system coming out.. Cant remember the name of it at the moment But it downloads it frame by frame, and infact you can play even high end games on a base level computer, you just need a reasonable internet connection and a server miles away plays the game for you... It eliminates the need for storage of a game, a fast processor a decent graphics card, can link it up to your PC or laptop, AND when its released it will have some big names with it too!

I think youre right mostly, though i hope they dont have touch screens, I personally hate them, if you've used one of the new MacBooks the Unibody ones the multi touch on them is amazing! and makes it just as quick as any touch screen could be...

Built in 3G would mean everyone had to have a subscription per computer, or work out some sort of price plan, the thing about Wifi is you can have it connected to a fixed line, within a distance, and a huge speeds, and 3G cant reach those speeds... It'd be a technology like 3G I guess though... Otherwise do what cities over the UK are beginning to do and becoming wireless hotspots... Ie. everywhere you go there is a wireless connection, paid in the council tax of those who live there its aways there and ultra fast too!

I dont know what you do use your computer for, i like light gaming and heavy photo editing so I guess Ill always need something, not exactly powerful, but with a bit of go... I guess If I think about it, more and more services will be bought together like facebook, google maps, Online music streaming services like Spotify, all under manufacturers names of course... All bought together and put into a big Web OS that is then accessible from multiple computers via the internet and then an offline portion for other use. So I guess yeah itll be more servers doing the back work, all software put onto them, or most of it, and also storage too you didnt mention. I think with the advent of web storage that'll become redundant too... Once people have optical fibre broadband with information literally travelling at the speed of light, there will be no need for large hard drives as it can all be kept online...

So yeah once a nationwide, steady internet connection is established I think a move to a more web based operating system will be made and then PCs can start to slow down a bit (:

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Deep Brown Eyes Offline
Hic Sunt Dracones
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 18th 2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
Whether it kicks off or not I dont know, but theres a new gaming system coming out.. Cant remember the name of it at the moment But it downloads it frame by frame, and infact you can play even high end games on a base level computer, you just need a reasonable internet connection and a server miles away plays the game for you... It eliminates the need for storage of a game, a fast processor a decent graphics card, can link it up to your PC or laptop, AND when its released it will have some big names with it too!
OnLive. There was a big fuss about it when they announced it but since then I've heard nothing. Though they are inviting people for beta testing if you're interested - see their site for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk338 View Post
I think youre right mostly, though i hope they dont have touch screens, I personally hate them, if you've used one of the new MacBooks the Unibody ones the multi touch on them is amazing! and makes it just as quick as any touch screen could be...
Since my PDA fell out of my pocket and smashed the LCD, I've had a distinct dislike of touchscreens. The current touchscreen laptops are commonly referred to as tablet pc's, and they're fairly popular in a small segment of the market, but if they become mainstream I would be extremely annoyed if they switch places with standard interfaces in a way that the current normal keyboard and mouse become an exclusivity for those willing to pay a premium for it.

But I agree with you when it comes to the subscription thing. The technology exists to have extremely fast wireless networks, but the problem is that it's stuck in Japan. xD

And personally, I'm one of those IT guys who has the top spec machine because it suits what I do. Show me a netbook that can run four Adobe CS4 applications, a web browser streaming video, an IM client, an FTP client and run an antivirus scan simultaneously without lagging. Until you can, I'm sticking with my quad core.
Plus, it's great for gaming. xD

---Edit----
Also, when it comes to power, they won't stop making faster machines. Firstly, there's just too much money in it. Software developers are not going to start reducing functionality in their software so they will always require increasing amounts of power.
In addition to that, super-computing is about to hit the home market - the NVIDIA Tesla being one of the first. Basically a up to 960-core processor configuration designed for the home market. Technically, it's the GPU, but it has a hell of a lot of power.

Then there will be quantum computing and a variety of other new technologies which will replace the usual silicon chips. So maybe computing as we know it will hit the glass ceiling, but at the end of the day, glass is easily broken.

Last edited by Deep Brown Eyes; July 18th 2009 at 01:48 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mikey09 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 19th 2009, 12:43 AM

Advancements will never end.
  Send a message via MSN to Mikey09  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 19th 2009, 12:33 PM

I was reading... Bill Gates actually at one point predicted a 32-bit operating system would never be created... The first computers would they ever have dreamt that touch screens would be made??

Thing about technology is we make predictions based on what's already there... Where as a new bit of technology can be created and it can move the whole industry in another direction...

And thanks Adz... Onlive, that was it

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
freelancertex78 Offline
Resident Neuro Nerd
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Steph

Re: Computers hit a glass ceiling soon? - July 19th 2009, 01:10 PM

Adz, I would like your computer. I can haz?

I don't think that computers will completely disappear though. They'll evolve in the coming years sure, but I don't think that manufacturers will drop them from the mainstream market.

But who knows? Technology always advances in ways we don't expect.

I'd sing you a song, but I'm feeling quite off
in my heart; it's occupied,

and now's not the time.

Closed Thread