TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 05:19 PM

It would mean quite a lot to me if someone knows a programme like this. A programme that can record any sound that your playing back through media on your computer. That would be movies... or something that you are playing back online, or playing back your own tunes through windows media player, or whatever other player you use. Or even a online conversation through skype for example.

Also... would help if it records stereo... rather than mono, but that could be asking a bit much. Some songs/tunes/tracks get completely ruined when you play them in mono, it makes no sense to.

Basicaly something that works along the same lines and concept of the on-screen recorder, except I don't want any video, just the sound.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 05:26 PM

Audacity technically does this, however some versions do and some don't! It's luck of the draw really. I'd say download it and see if you can record "Stereo Out".

Either way there is going to be some noise (cheap sound hardware etc) but I'm sure there are more programs out there.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Audacity technically does this, however some versions do and some don't! It's luck of the draw really. I'd say download it and see if you can record "Stereo Out".

Either way there is going to be some noise (cheap sound hardware etc) but I'm sure there are more programs out there.
Why would the sound of hardware interfere? You mean things like the fan making noise?

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Why would the sound of hardware interfere? You mean things like the fan making noise?
I'm not entirely sure why, but on any PC I've done it on I always got background noise (which I assumed was the DA). It can be negated by playing the music LOUD, but I was on earphones at the time I couldn't always do that.

Tutorial:
http://cow.neondragon.net/index.php/...put-In-Windows
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 06:59 PM

What format does it save the files in? mp3?

Lol I doubt it for some reason. Ive noticed these sorts of programs like saving the files in some format of their own. But nvrmind, I might be wrong.

Also... at the moment, I'm using linux. The hard drive on my laptop died, so im booting linux from a CD.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 07:08 PM

I use Audacity and you can export the files in MP3 format

I'd recommend it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 07:25 PM

It needs the LAME codec to export to MP3, but I think linux distros usually have it as default. Otherwise just search for it in APT or whatever you use...
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 13th 2010, 07:58 PM

Il probably wait to get vista or windows7 back. Installing anything on linux is very awkward. Maybe it's because I boot it every time from a CD. It would take me more time than it's worth figuring out how to do it at the moment.

Thnx anyway. Audacity.... il try and remember that.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 14th 2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
Il probably wait to get vista or windows7 back. Installing anything on linux is very awkward. Maybe it's because I boot it every time from a CD. It would take me more time than it's worth figuring out how to do it at the moment.
There's a reson we just install it
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pending...Work in progess
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Matt

Re: Sound recorder - May 15th 2010, 12:09 AM

I've just downloaded Audacity myself.. it's so overwhelming! And all I wanted to do was to take away the background hissing noise and raise the volume of my voice acting sound clip. I'm currently looking for the help files on how to do these two things, but does anyone already know how to do this?

I initially recorded my voice via Sound Recorder from Windows Vista, using a headphone with attached microphone. It seems to be only able to save as a .wma file. Any chance I'm able to do the modifications on a .wma file? It'd be a real shame if I were have to do the voice acting again after getting it right this time.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Sound recorder - May 15th 2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work_In_Progress View Post
I've just downloaded Audacity myself.. it's so overwhelming! And all I wanted to do was to take away the background hissing noise and raise the volume of my voice acting sound clip. I'm currently looking for the help files on how to do these two things, but does anyone already know how to do this?

I initially recorded my voice via Sound Recorder from Windows Vista, using a headphone with attached microphone. It seems to be only able to save as a .wma file. Any chance I'm able to do the modifications on a .wma file? It'd be a real shame if I were have to do the voice acting again after getting it right this time.
WHAT?? Audacity is one of the easiest

Unfortunately no, you cannot edit WMA'a (it's an extremely closed format that's only meant to work with Windows Media Player). You'd need to use this to convert it first.

All the edit functions are in the "effects" menu. First select all (or a bit) of the waveform then go to Effects>Amplify to make it louder (it should be already set to boost it to full volume). Noise removal is almost impossible (trust me) and while Audacity does have a noise removal tool, it's far from perfect and a bit finicky to use... What you do is select a bit of "silence" where you can just hear the noise, then open the Noise Removal effect and hit the first box. Then you select what you want to remove the noise from (ie everything) and open the Noise removal effect again. The slider lets you shift from just a little noise removal to too much, and it's up to you to find a middle ground...

You might also want to chop the ends off the file, and any long silences if it's talking. Click and drag to select, backspace to delete.
Closed Thread