TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:44 AM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dell-15.6-...emium/13378164

I need a new laptop. This one is great for the price, but what are the pros and cons about it?

Anyone who owns a dell, do you like it?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:50 AM

these days.. most "cheap" laptops can do all the school stuff required.

Dell's reliablity is in the midpack. Compared to the reliability leaders... the difference in reliability is very little. enough to not care. most laptops start to suck around the 4th year(all brands) just stay away from Acer and HP brands.. like acer, hp, compaq, emachines, gateway... ect...

You should get it... if u want a decent laptop. just dont expect it to be super fast... but if u havnt upgraded or buy a new computer for the last 4 years.. you will notice a good speed increase over ur old machine.

Just dont expect it to play sims 3 well.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
these days.. most "cheap" laptops can do all the school stuff required.

Dell's reliablity is in the midpack. Compared to the reliability leaders... the difference in reliability is very little. enough to not care. most laptops start to suck around the 4th year(all brands) just stay away from Acer and HP brands.. like acer, hp, compaq, emachines, gateway... ect...

You should get it... if u want a decent laptop. just dont expect it to be super fast... but if u havnt upgraded or buy a new computer for the last 4 years.. you will notice a good speed increase over ur old machine.

Just dont expect it to play sims 3 well.
It's going to be pretty fast though right? It's not slow?

If It doesn't play most games, then I don't know about it...

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 03:13 PM

think of it as a a big netbook. with a stronger processor, larger screen and keyboard...

The computer industry have changed alot these days..
the average pc price last year dropped down to 750 bucks... so if you get a 750-850 dollar computer it will be considered middle/upper middle class. when it comes to laptops.. as long as you buy a mainstream size and mainsteam brand.

I will look for a few computers for you...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 03:21 PM

also... these days.. processors are very miss leading these days.

The Mhz/Gigahertz rating isnt really comparable from processor to processor these days. It is only comparable if you compare the processors... if they are in the processor class and generation. because they keep on changing. as you can see last year's processors have similar gighertz but the architecture/strucutre of them change... which changes the processors responsiveness... energy efficieny... and multitasking ability.

General rule of thumb

Intel i7 > i5> i3 > Core Duo 2> Penitium> Atom processor

i7 is better than i5.. most i3's are better than Core Duo 2... (but not nessarly the lastest recently discountined high end of the core duo 2's).... the market is very fragmeneted and confusing.. Also dont buy "low voltage" processors... they are much more energy efficient.. but they are more comparable to netbook processors...

most laptop video cards are crappy. Im not being cynical.. there is a reason.. cuz mobile INTEGRATED video cards are cheaper... mainstream people dont normally game on pc alot... and for energy efficieny and to save space! Most laptops in the cheaper class is integrated. laptops with video cards cost alot!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 03:33 PM

If you have a bigger budget of 799 before tax.. and can buy online..

go buy this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220634

I have the same computer... but different case. IT can play practically all games out their on medium settings. it can play sims 3 on the highest.
This laptop is the best bang for the perfromance u will get. But i got this laptop 5 months ago in canadian dollars! so there might be a better laptop lurking around in the website. At the i purchase it... comparable laptops cost around 1100-1200 dollars! Asus is a very reputable brand. they build and design motherboards.. for desktops. motherboards and the harddrives are ussally major causes of laptop failures. harddrive failures cost around 150 dollars to fix. Motherboards ussally cost 200 dollars for the part and 200-300 dollars for labour.
Keep in mind ASUS is a major supplier of reliable motherboards.. and they offer 2 years of accidental free replacement laptop warrenty.
No laptop brand offers this value of performance, reliable, value and warrenty.. well it will be really hard. a large warrenty plan ussaly cost 100 dollars more!
New egg offers really good prices. But u will only save alot of money from their websites from rapidly changing products(that becomes outdated quickly) they manage their inventory better than most big box stores. (for brand name harddrives.. they beat best buy by 30 dollars in canada! Same name, size and model!)
The laptop also sports a very powerful core duo 2 rated a 2.53ghz

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 03:39 PM

If you want a better laptop than your dell(based on price)

For perfomance, reliablity go buy this toshiba

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834114930

it only cost 12 dollars more because of shipping and handling..
it have a better video card. and the processor is a little bit better.

this doesnt play all the games out there. it can defintely play sims 3 and steam based games.. the asus can play the latest games out there. also keep in mind the asus should not become obsolete that quickly.

because the game consoles are stuck in evolution. they just released the xbox slim and ps3 slim that means the graphics will not increase dramatically. most game developers develop games on multiple plateforms. since pc gaming is a 1 billion dollar industry and console gaming is a 7 billion dollar industry. So i dont expect any extermly demanding games coming out.. other than crysis 2 and other odd ball games.. PC gaming follows console gaming now... when it comes to budgeting for game development.. in most major game companies.

Last edited by Tomb; July 1st 2010 at 03:50 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 03:42 PM

remeber walmart sells the best price for the "exact model" that dell sells at their store. but it doesnt mean its the best value in its class. and Dell might have better laptops similary priced but billed as a different model. so shop around

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:00 PM

I have that exact laptop!
Pros:
It holds quite a lot of things
It is fast
It is easy to use
It's easy to play games on
It's settings for computer history are really easy and navigable

Cons:
The touch screen has a tendency to wear out or spaz out after a while. A cordless mouse can help with that issue.

I personally love it. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty. View Post
I have that exact laptop!
Pros:
It holds quite a lot of things
It is fast
It is easy to use
It's easy to play games on
It's settings for computer history are really easy and navigable

Cons:
The touch screen has a tendency to wear out or spaz out after a while. A cordless mouse can help with that issue.

I personally love it. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.
which laptop and which games do you play?

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
which laptop and which games do you play?
The laptop that Holly was inquiring about. Diner Dash, Bejeweled, etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 06:35 PM

Proper gaming, no way. Heavy use, nope. What you'll probably be using it for (light schoolwork and casual gaming), go ahead!
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 08:09 PM

My last laptop was a Dell, and it did NOTHING but cause problems. 5 months after I bought the computer, I had to replace the motherboard, just to give you an idea. Also, if you have any problems with the computer, Dell's customer service is absolutely HORRIBLE. You speak to people in India and battle with them forever to get what you need done.
In my experiece, Dell is BAD.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 1st 2010, 09:57 PM

I've had good experience with Dell, current Dell laptop has been running close to perfect for almost 4 years, as have various other Dell machines.

As for the laptop in the OP, it would be fine for schoolwork and light gaming.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 2nd 2010, 01:59 AM

Sony Vaio VGN-CS Series
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, Intel Core 2 Duo T5800, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, Intel Core 2 Duo T9600, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200
Graphics Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
Display: 14.1 inch
Weight: 2.4kg, 2.6kg, 2.7kg

I think that's what I have now. What is that compared to the dell?

Key Features:
•Intel Pentium dual-core T4400 processor
2.2GHz, 800MHz Front Side Bus, 1MB L2 Cache
•4GB shared dual-channel DDR2 system memory
Enough memory to handle today's most memory-hungry applications
•500GB hard drive
Store your photos, music, videos, documents and more with plenty of storage space to spare
•DVD/CD burner drive
Play and create CDs and DVDs with this read/write DVD drive
•Wired Ethernet, Wireless WiFi
Connect to a broadband modem or network with 10/100 Ethernet LAN; connect wirelessly to a wireless network or hotspot with Dell 1397 b/g WLAN
•15.6" diagonal glossy widescreen display
1366 x 768; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD integrated graphics

Additional Features:
•Your Choice, Red, Blue, Purple, Pink, White, Green & Black
•Built-in 1.3MP webcam
•7-in-1 digital media card reader
•6-cell rechargeable battery
•AC power supply included
•2.0 high-definition audio

Software:
•Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition. (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
•Microsoft Works 9.0 with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-Day Trial)
•McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall (30 Days)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 2nd 2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
Sony Vaio VGN-CS Series
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, Intel Core 2 Duo T5800, Intel Core 2 Duo T6400, Intel Core 2 Duo T9600, Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200
Graphics Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3430, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
Display: 14.1 inch
Weight: 2.4kg, 2.6kg, 2.7kg

I think that's what I have now. What is that compared to the dell?

Key Features:
•Intel Pentium dual-core T4400 processor
2.2GHz, 800MHz Front Side Bus, 1MB L2 Cache
•4GB shared dual-channel DDR2 system memory
Enough memory to handle today's most memory-hungry applications
•500GB hard drive
Store your photos, music, videos, documents and more with plenty of storage space to spare
•DVD/CD burner drive
Play and create CDs and DVDs with this read/write DVD drive
•Wired Ethernet, Wireless WiFi
Connect to a broadband modem or network with 10/100 Ethernet LAN; connect wirelessly to a wireless network or hotspot with Dell 1397 b/g WLAN
•15.6" diagonal glossy widescreen display
1366 x 768; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD integrated graphics

Additional Features:
•Your Choice, Red, Blue, Purple, Pink, White, Green & Black
•Built-in 1.3MP webcam
•7-in-1 digital media card reader
•6-cell rechargeable battery
•AC power supply included
•2.0 high-definition audio

Software:
•Genuine Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition. (To learn more about the features of Windows 7, click here)
•Microsoft Works 9.0 with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 (60-Day Trial)
•McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall (30 Days)

Your sony is obvously older but it wasn't designed for the low end market. the Dell is for the low end market..

Because of that... you will notice little difference in speed and performance.. i dont know for sure.. because you gave us 4 different processors and video cards for the sony.... If you had the high end version of that sony model.. than you will be downgrading if u pick the dell... if u got the cheapest version of the sony.. then there will be a very small increase or decrease in performance. I recommend against buying the new Dell unless ur sony is broken.

your sony laptop appears to be 2 to 1.5 years old... still fairly young.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 3rd 2010, 02:16 AM

What games will I be able to play on the Dells? Sims? Left 4 Dead? Assassins Creed?

(#18 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 3rd 2010, 02:43 AM

I've hated every Dell I've had or used in one way or another. That said, I get a wicked government discount through mommy, so there's not much to complain about. I get what I pay for, although without the discount I may not be so content.

The sound tends to go wonky after a while; it may stop working. A reboot will fix it, usually for some time, but that's a bit of a pain when you want to listen to music/play a game/whatever.

The power cords also tend to fail. Maybe it's overuse or excessive moving/unplugging/whatever on my part, but I've had one refuse to charge my battery and another that I've had to wiggle around to make work.

My first Dell was a piece of crap, but I'm positive they don't sell those anymore. My sister-in-law had the same one, and hers went to shit even sooner than mind did, however I think mine lasted a good four years before it went kaput in irreversible ways. I've had better luck with my studio, which I've had about two years. Biggest issues: That pesky sound problem, I've lost a key, the mouse has a spot worn off, and some of the letters chipped away. I do wish the keyboard was backlit, I recommend that if it is available on the model you choose. On the up side, I have a fingerprint scanner and, let's be honest, I'll never buy a laptop without one again.

I play Sims, but other than that and flash games I'm not much of a gamer. I have Netflix, though, and I watch tons of movies without issue. I also tend to multitask, and I'm of the opinion that if a laptop can handle Photoshop + iTunes/movie + messenger + net + whatever else I'm doing, it's worthy enough. It can be a little slow, even for my tastes, but like I said--I've got what I paid for. If I could afford a Mac just for Photoshop (wouldn't want it for anything else), I doubt I'd ever run into any noteworthy speed issues with my Dell, though.

TLDR: Dell sucks but you get what you pay for.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 3rd 2010, 07:28 AM

To be honest. there is generally NO big brand laptop manfactures that makes laptops that can play video games well... other than ASUS.

I have this computer... like 3 months go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220634

it is very fast and powerful. u can play all the latest games. It have a big and powerful video card.

ASUS is a major computer supplier. Unlike Intel... the name is a less famous because they design and manufacture the motherboards(the least sexiest computer part). Motherboards are the most expensive parts of a laptop. And the most expensive to repair/replace. Also one of the most likely part to go wrong!

The reason why they are very expensive to replace is because. Most computer repair shops are not allowed to work on them.. they are subcontracted to another company. SO you pay for one company to serve another. Another reason is because laptop motherboards come in more variations than processors(small supply+ high demand = high price). Last but not least its the LABOUR. it takes like 5 to 15 minutes to remove the laptop case. and another 5 to 15 minutes. then ugotta slowly remove all the connectors and then reinstall all the parts!

Motherboard is literally the mother of all boards on a computer. all the computer parts is connected to it.

Once my old laptop's motherboard overheated... cuz i left it on in my computer bag(by accident) and the people said that if it wasnt under warrety the repair cost would of been 550 dollars... 350 in parts... 200 dollars for labour! laptop was only 800 dollars!

Also video cards on a laptop is really important. Without a proper video card... then the cpu must handle the heavy graphics processing.. which is does poorly... so it tends to become very slow and choppy. Because the video card is suppose to do all the work! Some times cheap video cards cannot even run the games! they just show discolored screen. and weird blotches..

buy the asus u will not regret it! its one of the cheapest laptops that offers so much power. I know it doesnt have an i3 but i3 isnt any better for the games that u mentioned earlier. like left for dead, sims 3 ect..

in fact i play Left for Dead 2 on my pc easily. No lag or anything. quick install. At the same time i play music and chat on MSN. Easily!

ASUS is not the same as ACER
ASUS AND ACER ARE DIFFERENT COMPANIES

Acer is the least reliable computer manufacture out there.

dell is okay.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 3rd 2010, 09:13 AM

That computer looks good... But the reason I'm settling for a pc is because I can't afford an Apple. If I was to spend that much on another pc I'd save another 200 and go for that Macbook I've been wanting for years. I would finance an apple if I could.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
That computer looks good... But the reason I'm settling for a pc is because I can't afford an Apple. If I was to spend that much on another pc I'd save another 200 and go for that Macbook I've been wanting for years. I would finance an apple if I could.

oh but the dell that you orginally asked for is similar to your sony... and an apple generally cost more than their pc counter part. the 1k apple laptops dont have strong video cards.. you gotta spend even more.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 06:37 AM

Maybe a different laptop... What about an acer? Any other great laptops for 500 or so?

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 11:49 AM

I have a dell. I used to have an acer. Which was pretty cheep. Worked very well too.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 08:12 PM

Acer's reliablity is really bad... and HP too... but if you replace your laptop every 2 years i guess u should be fine with the less reliable brands because u will replace them a year after the warrenty expires.

500 dollar laptops probaly wont let you play games well. low end laptops have bad video cards. cuz they are designed for basic computing purposes... surfing, music, typing, chatting, movies and ect...

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe a different laptop... What about an acer? Any other great laptops for 500 or so?
No matter what brand of PC you go for their most important parts are manufactured by the same companies (eg Intel and NVidia/Intel), so brand names really only dictate how well build the PC is, not how much power you get for your money. Also, if you want power, stay away from Apple until you've over a grand.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 09:38 PM

I've had a Toshiba for years and have had minimal problems with it. If you want gaming, typically a laptop is not the way to go, especially in your price range. I'd recommend saving a bit and buying the macbook you've always wanted (even though windows is the one highlander )

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 4th 2010, 09:38 PM

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AS7741Z-5731/14575770

This is the other laptop I'm considering. Think It's faster and better than the dell?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 5th 2010, 03:58 PM

It looks like it's a good deal faster, you lose half the storage but for most people 250GB is fine
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 5th 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
It looks like it's a good deal faster, you lose half the storage but for most people 250GB is fine
I'd probably have like five games on the laptop.... Older ones. Sims 3. I currently have 8,000 songs or so. How much would I be able to hold? Why is this one faster?

(#30 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 5th 2010, 10:03 PM

Dell is the worst right now (they are actually currently being sued for knowingly selling computers with faulty parts), and ASUS also stinks in the quality control department. HP is just okay, and Acer is pretty good. I know from experience with these brands.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Dell, A Good Laptop? - July 6th 2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I'd probably have like five games on the laptop.... Older ones. Sims 3. I currently have 8,000 songs or so. How much would I be able to hold? Why is this one faster?
  • The Dell's processor is clocked faster, but is based on the "old" Core2Duo architecture. The Acer's processor is based on the newer i5 architecture.
  • The latter has an L3 cache, the former doesn't.
  • DDR3 RAM. Never mind that it "only" has 3GB, that's basically all you need for current games.
  • Graphics-wise they're both pretty dire, but laptop graphics cards are expensive so that's where corners are usually cut...
Is 250GB enough? At the moment I have 7 games, 200 photos, 550 songs and a few dozen odd programs sitting alongside Win7 and that takes up less than a hundred GB. Modern games take up maybe around 10GB, so you'll be fine.
Closed Thread