TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Question New Laptop? Netbook? - February 6th 2011, 07:09 PM

I've been thinking about getting a new laptop. The one I have just now I got at Christmas 2008. Despite only being 2 years old it's getting a bit slow. It's big and awkward to carry around since it doesn't seem to fit in the laptop bag I have and doesn't really fit in any other bags I have. It also only runs for about half an hour on its own.

So I've been looking into different laptops etc. on Amazon and ebay and then comparing the better ones on moneysupermarket to get the best price and so far I'm really liking the look of some of the netbooks because they're a lot smaller and have a HUGE battery life compared to the half hour I have just now.
A lot of the cheaper ones I found on Amazon had bad reviews because they don't play videos on youtube (which causes a problem for me ) there were also concerns because some of them run on "Win CE" which is apparently outdated and difficult to work with.

I really like the look of the Dell Inspiron Mini Netbook and the best price I can find it at is around 180. ($290)
Is it worth it do you think?
Am I better getting a new laptop I can carry around and use without the charger or should I just hold off and see how things go with this one? Any ideas on this would be great.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 6th 2011, 09:26 PM

If all you do are
  • surf the internet,
  • emailing,
  • instant messaging,
  • use Word and Powerpoint,
  • listen to music and view photos,
  • and you don't mind the small screen,
then a netbook can be a "just adequate" choice. But personally, beside portability (small and lightweight), I cannot see any other advantage of owning a netbook.

Netbook are lightweight and convenient, but also small and weak. If you are planning to do any of the followings, then I recommend you get either a laptop or a desktop, not a netbook:
  • Image editing and drawing
  • Create and edit videos (including screen recording, MVs, etc.)
  • Playing computer games (e.g. World of Warcraft, Maplestory, etc.)
  • Composing resource-intensive projects like 3D modeling, etc.
  • Run multiple complex programs at once.

My recommendation is only buy a netbook IF AND ONLY IF you already have a desktop or laptop. They are just plain weak and have small screen. Then again, each has his or her own opinion. I multitask a lot so a netbook would be pure frustration for me

How about looking at a few laptops before making the decision to buy your netbook?
  • What's your price range?
  • What do you usually do on your computer?
  • How powerful do you want your laptop to be?
  • Any personal preferences?
I'll see if I can list anything here that might be of your interests.

Note: Most computer manufacturers have a student discount for college and university students. Are you attending a college or university right now?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 6th 2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.

Honestly, although I do spend a lot of time on my laptop, all I do is surf the internet, IM/email and listen to music/look at pictures and videos. So a netbook probably would be suitable. And I can still keep my current laptop in case I decide to play my old Harry Potter games or something.

- Right now, I don't have a huge amount of money so I wouldn't be willing to go much over about 250 at most, and even then, only if I had to.
- Like I said above, mostly internet/IM and music, pictures and videos.
- I don't know anything about laptop power or anything like that.
- My only preference would be that I can do the things I usually do on it and that it's not pink.

I am at college but only until June, I'm not sure what I'm doing next year so I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 7th 2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumi View Post
Honestly, although I do spend a lot of time on my laptop, all I do is surf the internet, IM/email and listen to music/look at pictures and videos. So a netbook probably would be suitable. And I can still keep my current laptop in case I decide to play my old Harry Potter games or something.

- Right now, I don't have a huge amount of money so I wouldn't be willing to go much over about 250 at most, and even then, only if I had to.
- Like I said above, mostly internet/IM and music, pictures and videos.
- I don't know anything about laptop power or anything like that.
- My only preference would be that I can do the things I usually do on it and that it's not pink.

I am at college but only until June, I'm not sure what I'm doing next year so I'll definitely have to look into that, thanks!

Oh, why not? There's this PINK super computer that someone is selling for super cheap, ; it even comes with a PINK doll .

Anyhow, jokes aside, I would definitely recommend you to talk to your college's tech store and get some info on the student discount. It would be nice to use a voucher code on top of a student discount . I managed to catch a 36% off (totaled after free shipping code, student discount, and a coupon code) for a Dell laptop last year. Plus, you can get huge software discounts, too.

Oh, your laptop is still usable. Never mind then. In your first post, I thought you meant that it's at the "kaput" point (sounded like it has became a turtle that only live for 30 minutes). In that case, if you can handle the small screen and have no need for a more powerful system, then have fun with your netbook.

And . . . well, I won't list any recommendation for laptop after all, . With 250 max, the only way of finding a good new laptop at that price range is by waiting for 30% or higher deals somewhere. I do keep an eye on US deals everyday but I'm not familiar with UK deals, sorry.

P.S. By the way, off topic but . . . if all you use the computer for are "surf the internet, IM/email and listen to music/look at pictures and videos" (quoted you), then you are missing out 80% of the fun of using a computer

Edit: Not much, but might open a few more doors for your netbook choices, besides the one that you've mentioned in your first post.

Promotion code:
  • NET20 -- Enter NET20 for 20% off all netbooks over 200 at Bestbuy.co.uk.
    Code expires on February 10, 2011.

Last edited by Digilodger; February 7th 2011 at 02:37 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 7th 2011, 12:14 PM

Im thinking about getting a

Desktop and a netbook.

Desktop = cheaper than a laptop and more powerful and more reliable.

Netbook = cheaper than a laptop and more portable and more battery life.

If you add up the two machnes together u basically pay 100 or 200 dollars more than a good laptop. But you will still have 2 computers and therefore you can be more productive(in theory, its really limited to our attention span and ability to multi task)

Also keep in mind that Netbooks are not good at multi tasking they only have 1 core processors now.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 7th 2011, 07:10 PM

I'd pass on the netbook. I have one, it's not terrible, but it's not great either. The small screen is a huge negative more often than I thought, often messing with the formatting of a site or making on screen buttons (like Post or X on some sites) impossible to reach.
Your best option is to just get a new notebook, it's about the time of year that the new line comes out meaning last years notebooks will be on sale for a good price, check out your local Staples (or the equivalent) and other stores for clearances.

You could also just fix up your computer. A new battery would fix the problem of it dying too fast, and if you back up your files and do a restore it'll be fast as ever. You did say it was bulky though, so that one is really up to you.

-Dan

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Tomb Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 10th 2011, 02:31 AM

Keep in mind the best battery life on netbooks around spring 2010 was like 11 hours. It could be more now.

One reason i want a netbook is so i can go surf the web more before i sleep, watch a video, movie, or help people on Teenhelp.org

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Re: New Laptop? Netbook? - February 12th 2011, 06:59 PM

Netbooks make me cringe. Complete eyestrain-o-vision _.

Get a basic laptop, I know it'd cost a bit more, but it'd be worth it, trust me ^^;.

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

Send a message via MSN to Power Cosmic  
Closed Thread