TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Dell laptop shutting off - February 19th 2011, 03:24 AM

(apologize for posting in this section twice..)
My computer keeps shutting off -__- I think I have a virus. I'd check for the virus, except my computer keeps shutting off. I have a cooling fan under my laptop so I don't think it's overheating. My battery for my laptop IS broke, but it's plugged in. I don't think that's part of the problem? It just randomly shuts off when I'm running too many programs. But when I run just Spybot, or Avast, it shuts off. I don't know why. I don't know how I can fix it.

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dell laptop shutting off - February 19th 2011, 04:37 AM

Does it just completely shut off instantly or does Windows suddenly begin its shutdown routine? If it is the former that would indicates a hardware fault, rather than a virus I'd think, and I know from experience that depending on the design of the computer, a bad battery can in fact cause this type of thing.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dell laptop shutting off - February 19th 2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyIsLegit View Post
(apologize for posting in this section twice..)
My computer keeps shutting off -__- I think I have a virus. I'd check for the virus, except my computer keeps shutting off. I have a cooling fan under my laptop so I don't think it's overheating. My battery for my laptop IS broke, but it's plugged in. I don't think that's part of the problem? It just randomly shuts off when I'm running too many programs. But when I run just Spybot, or Avast, it shuts off. I don't know why. I don't know how I can fix it.

Just check the temperature anyway. It's very simple and fast; here's a quick guide:

What temperature is right for my CPU?
Each CPU may have different temperature limits, but a safe line to draw is 80 degree C (about 176 degree F)--you don't want your CPU to be any hotter than that; heck, 80 degree C (about 176 degree F) is overheating already. Around 55 degree C (about 131 degree F) is usually where you want to keep it at.

............::::::::::::::.............

How do I check my CPU's temperature?

Method #1: BIOS
Restart your computer and enter the BIOS menu. Find the field that lists your CPU temperature somewhere in there (each BIOS is different here).

Method #2: Softwares that comes with your motherboard
Probably your motherboard's CD come with a few softwares in there, too. Dig it and you may find a program to monitor your CPU temperature or motherboard temperature or system temperature.

Method #3: Use a third-party program
Download and install one of these and they'll tell you your CPU's temperature:
CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.html
SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
RealTemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/Real_Temp_3.00.html

NOTE: If you use a third-party program, then please make sure that your processor is supported before using it.

If it's not overheating then let's try check if there's anything wrong with your hard disk:

Run Check Disk--Check Disk (CHKDSK) is to verify that there's nothing physically wrong with the hard drive.

You will have to figure out how to run CheckDisk or ScanDisk on your own. I'm sorry but you never tell us a single thing about your system (What computer? What operating system? How old is it? What CPU? Etc., you know, information like those). There's no way for me to know what you have.

Also, what do you mean by your laptop's battery "IS broke"? It might be the culprit here. Now, if you could please kindly explain what on the planet earth do you mean by "IS broke," it would be very much appreciated,

Last edited by Digilodger; February 20th 2011 at 02:42 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Re: Dell laptop shutting off - February 19th 2011, 02:53 PM

Sorry for my lack of information,.
When my battery is in it says "Plugged in, but not charging."
I have a Dell Laptop; inspiron 2525 ( i don't know if that information helps.)
I bought it brand new in 2008.
It's running on Vista.
I don't know if that all helps.

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dell laptop shutting off - February 20th 2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyIsLegit View Post
Sorry for my lack of information,.
When my battery is in it says "Plugged in, but not charging."
I have a Dell Laptop; inspiron 2525 ( i don't know if that information helps.)
I bought it brand new in 2008.
It's running on Vista.
I don't know if that all helps.
Ah, thank you! Those helped, but you also just brought up more possible problems, too, rather than narrowing them down, , not your fault though.

Anyway, still, please check your temperature and run disk check. In the previous post, I went through this so I won't go through this again, . You can use one of the third-party softwares to check the temperature. As for Disk Check, you can go here for quick instruction.

As for your battery, it might not be a problem with the battery, but a problem with power management. Here's how to fix it (if it's a problem with your power management program):

NOTE: We will be reinstalling one single part of power management. Please do not uninstall any more than the one specified in here. I will try to keep it as simple as I possibly can, with screenshots.

1. Open Device Manager; there are many different ways to do this:
  • You can do this via Control Panel ---> (in Classic View) Device Manager, or
  • You can hold down the Windows Key and hit the R key to activate Run. Type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and hit Enter or OK, or
  • Click on Start, in the search box, type in "device manager" (without the quotes) and click on Device Manger in the result.
  • Click here for screenshot.

Either way, just pick a method that works best for you.

2. Double click on Batteries
3. Right-click on Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery and choose Uninstall .
4. It should be gone now.
5. Right-click on Batteries again, choose Scan for Hardware Changes. It will scan for any hardware changes and install the necessary drivers.
6. It should be reinstalled and working fine again without any problem.

Of course, it can be be caused by a hardware problem or the AC adapter; it can also be that the battery is "broken" (quoted you). Many possibilities, many possibilities. Seem like we would have to go through them one by one

Closed Thread