TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kavitha

A Facebook Account - March 15th 2011, 12:06 PM

I'm not on FB. I'm scared. What if I'm not popular on it? What if my profile sucks? I couldn't take that. But now most of my friends are always online on facebook. And I guess some of them wants me to join. Should I? I seriously don't think I could take it if my friends don't chat with me or if I don't have any friends online. So I am just not sure. What should I do?

I know this is stupid. But that is me and it is important to me.

I have changed the thread topic.............now its all about facebook!!!!!!! i just wanna know what you think of facebook and what it means to you............

Last edited by It's Killing Me; March 16th 2011 at 05:48 AM. Reason: change in topic

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: A Facebook Account - March 15th 2011, 12:11 PM

It is up to you, but facebook is really interesting if it is used right. You get to connect with family members, classmates, co-workers. The best part about it, you can control who sees your profile. There are lots of privacy options that you can use.

I would just go for it. Especially if you have friends that are already on it. You can block your profile to some people, if you don't want everyone to see your profile. If you end up dissatisfied, you can always cancel your account. But at least give it a try.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: A Facebook Account - March 15th 2011, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about that. If you want an account, make one and add your friends and family members, if they have an account and see how it goes. If no-one talks to you, talk to them and so on. It's a good way to connect with friends so it's always worth having one.

If it turns out that you don't like it, you can always delete/deactivate your account.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 02:40 AM

Hey,

Facebook is for connecting with your friends and family so you don't really have to worry about being popular. Also, there isn't really such a thing as a profile that sucks. You can choose how much information you want to fill out. It's totally up to you. I think that you should give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always deactivate your account.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:15 AM

Alright, so I gave it a shot................I'm on facebook!!!!!!!!!!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:25 AM

Yay! I hope you like it.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:46 AM

I don't know if I like it or anything but I'll keep you posted. But now I wanna change the topic. What do you all think of facebook? Have you had fun in there? Or any bad experiences? Your overall view on Facebook.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:47 AM

I hope that you enjoy your account (:
When I first got my account, people that I didn't even talk to added me. Just because we went to the same school. So maybe it will be the same with you (:
And like everyone said, add your friends and family.

Hope it goes well<3

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:49 AM

My experiences with FB?

Hmmmm. I've had some overall great experiences with it, with some bad to go along.
But really, that's with anything.

I used to be addicted to FB. It's fun to see what your friends are up to.
But then again, it gets annoying when there is FB drama. Try to steer clear from that. :]

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Anatidaephobia Offline
Smile :) You're beautiful!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:54 AM

Firstly I hope you enjoy your facebook account

I used to be addicted to facebook and have had some good but some awful experiences to. I think as long as you use it correctly and ignore idiots on there then you will enjoy facebook

xxxxxxx Take care xxxxxxx

If you ever need ANYTHING just ask (:
Feel Free to leave me a message anytime:
VmPM

I won't let you close enough to hurt me
help link mentor Live help operator
  Send a message via MSN to Anatidaephobia Send a message via Skype™ to Anatidaephobia 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 06:58 AM

I'm glad you finally decided to get it a try. I was like you at first. I was totally against facebook, and hated it. Now, I am an addict. Hope things go well for you on facebook.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicslife34 View Post
I don't know if I like it or anything but I'll keep you posted. But now I wanna change the topic. What do you all think of facebook? Have you had fun in there? Or any bad experiences? Your overall view on Facebook.
A few advices:
1. You might want to enable HTTPS on your Facebook account right now. If not, a really bad experience might be waiting for you at the moment you use a public wifi like at a cafe, library, etc. It's NOT hard to intercept your unencrypted connection with tools like Firesheep, you know.

2. A private profile would be a nice choice, as well as limit whom you become friends with. One of the worst things that could happen is to be found by your employer(s) or potential employer(s) on Facebook. You want your employer(s) to see your LinkIn profile where everything is professional, not your Facebook profile where your drunken Friday night picture might be around.

3. Brace yourself for some drama, . No, seriously, brace yourself for some drama. You seem to be the type who would fall into peer-pressure just to be more "popular," which almost guarantee that sooner or later you would run into some FB dramas. Hope you are mentally prepared by then; good luck!

Last edited by Digilodger; March 16th 2011 at 07:06 AM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 10:09 AM

I hope that you enjoy your first Facebook account! I think Facebook is a good way of keeping in touch with friends and family but of course, like anything, there are people who do abuse it so you have to be careful. I haven't had any bad experiences when it comes to Facebook to be honest.

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 12:59 PM

I'm sure that you will love facebook

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#15 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 03:01 PM

I'm kinda frustrated right now...........Me and my friends had planned to come online now and group chat. But noone can see that I am online. And they can't add me to any groups either. I'm feeling soooooooooooo horribly left out. They are chatting and I am here trying my best to appear online. I can't blame my friends cuz they are giving me suggestions but none of them are working. Any help????

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicslife34 View Post
I'm not on FB. I'm scared. What if I'm not popular on it? What if my profile sucks? I couldn't take that. But now most of my friends are always online on facebook. And I guess some of them wants me to join. Should I? I seriously don't think I could take it if my friends don't chat with me or if I don't have any friends online. So I am just not sure. What should I do?

I know this is stupid. But that is me and it is important to me.

I have changed the thread topic.............now its all about facebook!!!!!!! i just wanna know what you think of facebook and what it means to you............
Hey there.

The Thing about Facebook is that everyone's accounts are pretty much equal. There really isn't much bling or pazzaz you can add to it. All it really consist of it is a profile that allows people to contact you and keep tabs on what you are up to. Unless your job description is "Secret agent" and your hometown is "Vulcan", your profile is going to be no more cooler then the next one.

Another thing about Facebook is that after you have solid friend base (say, 30 or so), other people will be able to find your profile and add you. My friends list runs into the 400s, and there are some that I have literally not spoken or communicated with for years. There is just too many to keep track of and some that I have never spoken to in real life. Mainly I use it to keep in contact with friends that I actually care about. If they don't want to talk to me, It doesn't matter. I also use it to keep tabs on my family now that I have move out of state. Only some of the games really depend on how many "friends" you have. But do you really want to add random people to your profile so that your zombie army might be more powerful then the next guy?

In short, I find it useful, but I only use it to keep in contact with people i love and care about. I don't use it as a popularity contest.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: A Facebook Account - March 16th 2011, 08:16 PM

Like everyone before me.

I'm sure you will love facebook, don't worry too much about the designs and what information you chose to release on your profile. Hardly anyone does check and actually read your basic info. (with the exception of martial status) is a thing most people look at.

But Facebook is all about connecting with your friends and making new ones, don't worry to much about it

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: A Facebook Account - March 18th 2011, 07:01 AM

My opinion of facebook fun, good way to talk to peopl, boredom buster but a massive time waster haha

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#19 (permalink)) Old
TriBlox6432 Offline
Odan
Average Joe

Re: A Facebook Account - March 18th 2011, 07:19 PM

By god, do not join FB unless you approve of big corporations spying on you. -___-

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Someday Offline
Somehow
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sam

Re: A Facebook Account - March 19th 2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
By god, do not join FB unless you approve of big corporations spying on you. -___-
What's the worst they could do with the information you give them? Send out a few spam emails? Or start a new war beginning with your very own address? LOL, Facebook can be a God-send to some people(myself as an example).

Anyway to the OP, don't worry too much about your profile. Considering you're primarily(I assume) just going to be associating with people you know IRL, it doesn't matter too much

ďSomewhere there is someone that dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worthwhile, so when you are lonely remember itís true, someone somewhere is thinking of you.Ē

(#21 (permalink)) Old
how.we.operate. Offline
~Sing Me To Sleep~
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nikki

Re: A Facebook Account - March 21st 2011, 05:53 AM

Facebook has been a good/bad experience for me. The good parts are that I have been able to connect with friends and stay in touch with people that move away/leave the area, almost everyone is on Facebook now, and it helps with organizing/inviting people to things. They also have some great games, but be warned that these will take up your time if you start to jump into games.
Bads-there are so many bugs with Facebook, they keep updating for a "new look"/profile, they amp up features (a little too much in my opinion), and well, you can get the creepers on Facebook (beauty of that is you can just hit IGNORE/Block/remove them as a friend).

In terms of what is being said about corporations, SOMETIMES companies will look at Facebook profiles (they sometimes will friend you or they find ways to see your profile). Just make sure you don't post pictures that you wouldn't want your boss/company to see. If you happen to get tagged in a picture you don't like, TAKE THE TAG OFF. REMEMBER who you friend on Facebook-back talking co-workers is never a good idea on Facebook.

ALSO something I have an issue with a lot is that people will post the stupidest things then realize they shouldn't have. THINK before you post something! Be smart about what you decide to do on Facebook, but in general have fun with it. It has gotten to be a popularity contest lately in terms of how many friends you have, but honestly, don't be on Facebook for popularity. A lot of people go through their friends and remove those that they don't talk to. Profiles are the same for everyone. You can add in as many quotes, like as many things as you want, and add what ever, but in the end, not many will actually look through these things.

Leave the past behind, just walk away
When it's over, and the heart break
And the cracks begin to show

*~*~This little girl was alone in the world~*~*
Hold Onto Hope

Closed Thread