TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Technology and Gaming This forum is for discussions about your hardware, software, game or anything Web-related.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

In-ear headphones - March 22nd 2011, 05:57 PM

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I've been through a lot of headphones (I used them a lot), but there's been a re-occuring problem with in-ear headphones.

The most recent I bought were AudioTechnica in-ear noise cancelling headphones, and they cost me about £70.... so they were no cheap shit. But the same problem re-occurs. About a year after buying them, one of the earpieces becomes very quiet. In this case it's the right ear piece. Just.... wth. I've looked after them, I put them back in their case after using them every time, I don't toss them about and this still happens.

I'm more irritated now not because I might have wasted £70 but because I feel like before buying the next set of headphones I'm going to have to do shitloads of research into reviews (people don't usually review a product one year after buying it) to try and find what headphones have this problem and avoid them. What a waste of time.

SO.... anyone here had anything similar happening to their headphones? And if not, please let me know what headphones you're using... it would really help thanks. Also, if someone actually knows a way of fixing this problem it would be great.

I might be able to find the receipt and return them but I'm not sure... I'd have to waste even more f***ing time looking for it all. So annoying, I really have better things to do with myself :/

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; March 22nd 2011 at 06:05 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Name: Nicole (Nikki)

Re: In-ear headphones - March 22nd 2011, 06:07 PM

I have had this happen before so I did a little research to be able to answer your question. If you use the earbuds very frequently the lifespan is usually about 2-3 months and if you don't use them very much the lifespan can be up to a year. So it sounds like this is normal even though you do take pretty good care of them.

"Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars."

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Smile, you are beautiful www.operationbeautiful.com

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki
Artist, Poet, and Future Social Worker

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: In-ear headphones - March 22nd 2011, 10:26 PM

I've had the same problem, I've been through tens of pairs of in ear head phones and eventually just go the old school ones with a head band xD
May not look as cool, but I've found that cheaper makes which aren't in ear are better than the in ear ones.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: In-ear headphones - March 22nd 2011, 10:41 PM

yus but mine dont get quieter they just dont work its irrating my mom gets so mad like u broke them again its like ughh stop breaking so now my freind mad cuz she listens to one me the other so i only have one to listen to but yus this has happened numerous times

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

I’m catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: In-ear headphones - March 22nd 2011, 11:57 PM

I'll probably just get the bulky headphones from now. Half the point in me getting the in-ear ones is that you can actually put only one earpiece in and listen to it alright, which you can't do with bulky ones. So I guess it's still a winner lol.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: In-ear headphones - March 23rd 2011, 01:00 AM

I had Bose earphones before. Couldn't really tell a noticeable difference anyways. I use skullcandy earphones. It's best to go cheap as possible because they don't last long to begin with. When you have such a small speaker trying to play that loud, shit kind of gets fucked up sometimes. Lol.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Honey Badger Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandon

Re: In-ear headphones - March 24th 2011, 02:19 AM

A couple of things to consider, just because it's capable of loud volume music (which, being that we're all "that age"), does not mean that it's built for the task. The drivers (speakers) produce sound by vibrating, and this is done using very very small fine copper coils - the louder the volume, the more violent the vibrations. Now, that said, these little drivers are capable of ripping themselves to shreds. Don't belive me? Plug them into an output of an amp... it's pretty cool to watch, actually...

Your best bet it to use either over the ear or on the ear headset, as they are built in such a manner that the drivers can handle the extra abuse. There's just not enough space inside an earbud to reinforce the little speaker.

To extend the life, the only thing you can do is turn it down, but, that's not really practical
Also, you'll always get better sound out of a headphone, rather than an earbud. Even an expensive earbud will struggle to keep up with the cheap headphones. The exception to this, is when you start looking into high-end on stage earbuds, which are the equivelant of a (tiny, ear sized) monitor, which is a "professional" speaker. At this point, you'd be looking at about $400-500.00 each.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Re: In-ear headphones - March 24th 2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Badger View Post
A couple of things to consider, just because it's capable of loud volume music (which, being that we're all "that age"), does not mean that it's built for the task. The drivers (speakers) produce sound by vibrating, and this is done using very very small fine copper coils - the louder the volume, the more violent the vibrations. Now, that said, these little drivers are capable of ripping themselves to shreds. Don't belive me? Plug them into an output of an amp... it's pretty cool to watch, actually...

Your best bet it to use either over the ear or on the ear headset, as they are built in such a manner that the drivers can handle the extra abuse. There's just not enough space inside an earbud to reinforce the little speaker.

To extend the life, the only thing you can do is turn it down, but, that's not really practical
Also, you'll always get better sound out of a headphone, rather than an earbud. Even an expensive earbud will struggle to keep up with the cheap headphones. The exception to this, is when you start looking into high-end on stage earbuds, which are the equivelant of a (tiny, ear sized) monitor, which is a "professional" speaker. At this point, you'd be looking at about $400-500.00 each.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...exactly lol

"For those who don't care, for those who can't see, never give up, always thrive to be free."

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: In-ear headphones - March 24th 2011, 01:33 PM

just as badger said, dont have the sounds at high volumes,

also like he said if you do want a good set of earbud id suggest iBeats by dre, my friend has those, and they are some of the best ive seen, but thats only if you can drop 120$ on a pair of them

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: In-ear headphones - March 26th 2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jónsi View Post
just as badger said, dont have the sounds at high volumes,

also like he said if you do want a good set of earbud id suggest iBeats by dre, my friend has those, and they are some of the best ive seen, but thats only if you can drop 120$ on a pair of them
I would with no problem... but I just feel reluctant to given that all my in-ear headphones screwed up. Maybe I'll give it time. Definately gettin some large ones soon though.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: In-ear headphones - March 26th 2011, 03:05 AM

mine break 24/7 like yours were one just goes dead in the ear and that is after about 6 months to a year. i just buy 20 dollar ones like the cany ones with the skullz on them

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: In-ear headphones - March 28th 2011, 05:34 PM

I thought I just had really bad luck with headphones. This happens to me all the time. But then I got free SkullCandy headphones with my phone last Christmas and fell in love with them. They're so much more comfy and the sound is a LOT better.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Evanescent Offline
Love Is The Movement
I've been here a while

Re: In-ear headphones - March 29th 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumi View Post
I thought I just had really bad luck with headphones. This happens to me all the time. But then I got free SkullCandy headphones with my phone last Christmas and fell in love with them. They're so much more comfy and the sound is a LOT better.

I've always wanted to try out SkullCandy but they are so expensive.

Blessed Be!
Nicole AKA Nikki

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: In-ear headphones - March 29th 2011, 07:56 PM

I use NexxTech, which is similar shape and size as SkullCandy, my entire family has a pair and they've lasted years without breaking. I toss them on the floor, in the bag, it's fallen in water a few times and any other rough treatment but never once have their crapped out. They're about $40-50 CAN, which around here is about the same price as SkullCandy. They have pretty good bass and you can have the volume close to the max yet people around you won't hear much of anything as it's very dampened in that respect. They're pretty light and comfortable, about the same as SkullCandy. Only problem is it has no actual built-in noise reduction system but other than that, it's a pretty good pair.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread