TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anala Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amzies

Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 3rd 2012, 12:42 AM

Hey you guys.

So, I have basically disregarded my appearance for the last... 5-6 years? More? I've always been more of a tomboy/I'm-not-gonna-conform-so-screw-you-fashion.

Now, hitting sophomore year of high school, I have found secret delight in wearing clothes/doing my hair. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. So...

Are there any good fashion tips to start off with? Any basics, besides don't mix plaid with stripes unless your Einstein?

Are there any good tutorials on how to straighten/curl/style your hair?

How do I practice this?

Any videos out there?

Thank you~

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 3rd 2012, 01:10 AM

We have a good video section of our website that has videos about curling and straightening your hair here. I personally think straightening or curling your hair is a waste of time, and you should just find cute hairstyles with your natural hair, but that's just my own opinion! Do what you want to do.

Of fashion tips...I mean... just wear what you want. if you want to nonconform, just wear exactly what you think it's cute. Who cares if Seventeen approves of it, i mean, the people who make fashion want to make a profit, they really don't have a care of how things look on girls only to make us feel bad about ourselves and unworthy in order to make us want to buy more products to feel better. It's all a scam. Just find inexpensive places to buy clothes that you like the clothes for, wear exactly what you want with the accessories you enjoy, and there. Nonconformity and adorable fashion, all in one.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 3rd 2012, 05:18 AM

I honestly don't know much about my hair because mine refuses to do anything. But, when it comes to clothes, the best thing that you can do is to wear what you want. You've always been a non-conformist. Why start going for what everyone else wants you to be now? It's great that you've taken an interest in fashion, but make sure that it stays true to you. If you're comfortable in it, you'll look great in it and it will be a good look. It's as simple as that.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anala Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amzies

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 4th 2012, 03:26 AM

Well, the thing is I'm quite sick and tired of *just* jeans and t-shirts...
But... I don't want to go out in the disaster when I tried to dress myself "nicely" the last time.
Yeah... Apparently, bright orange, flopping clothing and blue-grey stripped stencil skirts don't go together.
e.e;;;

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 5th 2012, 09:18 AM

Well, if you want to try something different to jeans and T-shirts, how about denim shorts, tights/leggings, and trainers? Or pumps if you prefer. T-shirts would look great with that, or you could look for some fancier tops, which you could also wear with jeans or a little skirt. Try not to go too overboard with it - it's best to find clothes you can wear with everything.

Btw, I completely agree with Traci - the fashion industry pressures us into wanting new clothes, or feeling bad about the way we dress, so they benefit financially. There's probably nothing wrong with the way you dress now, so make sure you're doing it for the right reasons. At the same time there's nothing wrong with putting a little more effort into your appearance, or experimenting with different styles, if that's what you enjoy. Have fun and stay true to yourself

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lala47 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 11th 2012, 08:12 PM

For videos, bubzabeauty is quite helpful with hair tutorials as well as makeup ones. She also does inspirational vids too but that's kind of off topic haha.

As for dressing... I know it may sound tacky or overused but it's true, dress how you want to dress with your individual style don't let others try to change that. Also, it really doesn't matter whether your clothes are brand name or not because honestly sometimes there's not that much difference in quality but way different prices. Good luck with everything

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 24th 2012, 06:22 AM

I'm a tomboy too and still have yet to discover a passion for clothes! But I always wear comfortable jeans and a cute teeshirt. If you wear something you feel good in, you will be more confident. Don't ever go for something you don't like, because it will rot in your closet no matter how in style it is/was.

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 24th 2012, 06:48 AM

If you want to find a new style that isn't all from Forever 21, I'd suggest going to a few thrift stores, mixing and matching until you find a outfit you like. It's chic (on the west coast, anyway) and inexpensive.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - May 24th 2012, 08:49 AM

High street shops are a good source of what's in fashion while usually offering a wide enough range that you'll find something that you like

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips for a Lost "Nonconformist" - June 2nd 2012, 06:17 PM

You've gotten a lot of great advice here! I just want to give you some advice of my own: keep true to yourself! Throughout time, your style will change, but make sure you are happy with the changes that come into your life. It is always fun to take risks, but make sure that you feel confident and happy with your personal style. I know it sounds cliche, but confidence is really the most beautiful accessory!

Closed Thread