TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

How can I look older in my workplace? - May 25th 2013, 12:07 PM

I've started a new job as a sort of bar-waitress thing, and it's going well so far, but I think everyone there think I'm younger than I am. The first day I was introduced to one woman she exclaimed that I only looked about twelve and repeated herself three times. (Do people not realise how offensive this is to a woman in her twenties??)

I'm only 5'0 which isn't great, but is there anything I can do hair- or make-up-wise that will make me look more my age? As uniforms go we're fairly restricted: hair must be kept tied up and not much make up worn. We have to wear a black shirt and bright tie.

I haven't had my hair cut or my highlights done since November, currently my hair is down past my shoulders and I wear it straightened- is there anything I can do with it that would help this situation?

And yes, I know I'll appreciate this when I'm 40. If I hear that 'reassuring remark' one more time I'll scream. It's honestly shit being in your twenties, having a college degree and a good vocabulary and still having everyone treating you like a child.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - May 26th 2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
And yes, I know I'll appreciate this when I'm 40. If I hear that 'reassuring remark' one more time I'll scream. It's honestly shit being in your twenties, having a college degree and a good vocabulary and still having everyone treating you like a child.

First... THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS OMG. I just got this yesterday when I was asked at a zoo if I wanted the under 15 fare. I'm 20. But they gave us all discounts, so HA.

Basically, I have the exact same problem. I'm 5'0, baby-faced, you know the drill. In my experience, buns make me look a bit older, especially when they're nicely made and not just messy ones. I will either put my hair up for work, or curl it. I also heard that shorter hair makes people look older, so you could consider a new hairstyle overall!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - May 28th 2013, 01:41 AM

Okay it's getting ridiculous. Obviously my uniform must make me look really young - my boss, who can't be older than 27, keeps calling me 'lovey' and 'pet', customers say 'good girl' to me all the time and yesterday when an old lady started chatting with me and I told her I was a student.

'Oh, Junior Cert is it??' she asked. This is the equivalent of the GCSE's and an exam people take at the age of 15. In fairness she had the decency to look embarrassed when I laughed and told her I actually have a degree, but this is starting to wreck my confidence.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?? Changing my hairstyle mightn't really do a lot if we have to keep it ties back all the time - I tried a bun today instead of a pony tail but it just looked really unattractive and didn't really make a difference. Fuck's sake!!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - June 7th 2013, 01:01 PM

I totally get how you feel, I work in a supermarket where we have to wear polo shirts that look a lot like school uniforms. All the customers think I'm GCSE age, and the only reason my colleagues think I'm even over 18 is because under 18's have to ask permission to sell alcohol, so they automatically assume I must be just about 18 because I couldn't possibly be any older. I would have said your best bet for looking older is make-up, I know you said you can't wear much, but go for a natural look with small amounts of eyeliner and mascara, natural looking eyeshadow and lipgloss, and maybe even a little blusher, but something that just gives you natural looking colour. I hope you find a way to solve your problem even a little, but try not to let it get you down too much.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - June 7th 2013, 09:34 PM

I totally understand!! I'm one of those people who's ages are hard to figure out, I've had people assume I was about 17 before but when I was still 18-19 people thought I was closer to 25-26. It's always been so hit and miss for me, people think I am about 17-25 depending who you talk to, which isn't exactly shocking because that IS my age range. I just find that people don't always take me that seriously because they don't think I am old enough or experienced enough. I think a lot of it has to do with how people associate you comparatively with your age, like maybe you have a really flamboyant upbeat personality, if you aren't as calm or collected as people would expect with people of your age you might appear younger, it won't necessarily be your maturity though, that's not my point at all, it's just the amount of energy you portray... know what I mean?
Long straightened hair CAN make you look much younger then you really are. I don't really have that problem but my build doesn't allow for that any how. But you could always ask what the policy is (ex. if you have short hair is that ok, if you dye your hair what are the allowances for that etc, like crazy colours are probs a no-no but otherwise...) and then you could use that info and take it to a hair salon and be like "ok, so I want a hair cut that'll make me look older and this is is what I am willing to do", so maybe you want to keep your hair at least shoulder length to make sure it'll go into a ponytail, and then let the hair cutter person cut it and dye it into a diff style. And if you usually just make a simple messy bun or pony tail look up diff hair styles (internet or magazines) that will look more sophisticated. If you are willing to do something extravagant/radical you could always try out a pixie cut or a bob or something and work that style since that often makes people look older too.
That being said, there is only so much you can do. I have a friend who's 25 who gets ID'd ALL the time because no one believes he could possibly be over 19 (Canadian drinking age) since he only looks about 17. At the end of the day you look how old you look. You could always look up ways to command a little more respect (or seriousness) from people through your personality which would compensate for the fact that it's hard for that to be gained just by appearance alone if you look super young

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - June 15th 2013, 01:39 AM

Really heavy makeup is considered juvenile, so go with a more natural look. Short hair does make a person look older and more mature. Over-plucking your eyebrows can also make you look older because eyebrows thin with age.
I can't really say that I relate to your position but I have been mistook for an 8th grader. I'm 6'1" and in high school. This old lady came up to me at a club volleyball tournament and asked if I was the eighth grader on our team. I was like ummmm... No.

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - June 25th 2013, 01:48 AM

After reading what the last user said, PLEASE DO NOT OVERPLUCK YOUR EYEBROWS. Get them waxed or threaded, and if you have sparse eyebrows, get a good pencil/powder and fill them in where they aren't as full. Well-groomed eyebrows tend to make you look very pulled together.

Although it says "not much makeup" I'm guessing it means the more natural look. I'd watch youtube videos and get some ideas so you can enhance your best features!

What kind of part are you wearing? I find that the middle part tends to look a lot more juvenile. Try a side part - you can use bobby pins to keep small pieces and bangs back.

Watch what accessories you're wearing on a daily basis. I find that you can never go wrong with classic accessories: a nice watch, pearl/diamond earrings, pearl necklace. I don't know what type of shoes you have to wear; maybe go with a cute flat or a heel if you're good at walking in them? Unless your job calls for it, I wouldn't wear sneakers.

Nicely polished nails also help - I'd lean towards a nude or light pink color for everyday wear, and if you hate polish just keep them nicely filed.

Hope this helped and I'm sorry you have to deal with people like that. :/

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: How can I look older in my workplace? - June 25th 2013, 02:08 AM

Hey there!

What that last person said, I'd agree with. Not too much make-up. Eye liner does some wonders, and a little clear gloss never hurt And, accessorize appropriately. Maybe even a few thin bracelets, nothing with too many beads. Keep it simple.

Also, the way you wear your clothes can add to it. Don't wear the tie to close, let it a little lose, you know, the after work look on corporates that works. Skinny jeans with inch heel shoes should help too!

Best of luck!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
Closed Thread