TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
millerdancer15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Interview outfit? - August 10th 2013, 02:28 AM

So I've applied to several jobs in my town, but none have worked out. So recently I applied to this really adorable little boutique in a town about 15 minutes from me.

They just called me a day or two ago and said "We would like for you to come in on Monday so that we can ask you a few questions to see if you would work right with us. I guess it's kind of a sort of interview."

Now, because it's a boutique where I will be helping other customers with their fashion, what I wear to the interview definitely matters. The issue is, it is summertime and hot here and the way the person who called said it, she made it sound really casual.

So the trick is what to wear and how casual/formal to be. I have plenty of blazers and pencil skirts and dress pants, because I am on my school's speech team(basically do monologues all around the state and we have to be really formal). So if it was the winter time, I would probably wear like a blazer and skinny jeans and call it good. But because it's the summer, something like that wouldn't be as fitting.

Any suggestions? I have a decent amount of clothes myself, and I'm willing to buy something if anybody has an idea.

Thanks in advance, I do not want to screw this up!

People don't cry because they are weak. People cry because they have been strong for too long.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Interview outfit? - August 10th 2013, 06:08 AM

I would hold off on any pencil skirts until after you've got the job, & even then you may want to check to see if it meets the dress code. I feel like those are always borderline.

I think dress pants & a nice shirt would be good, even in the summer. Unless you have any other skirts to wear that aren't pencil style. But wear professional pants, not just dark jeans. For tops, keep it professional as well. No writing on it, not too low cut, etc. If you need more of an idea of what to wear, I recently had an interview about three weeks ago where I wore professional pants with a blue tank top (not just a casual one, but a nice one) with a grey sweater over it so you couldn't see the straps. All solid colors & not revealing.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Interview outfit? - August 10th 2013, 04:34 PM

Hey Laura!

Dressing for job interviews is often times a challenge, but it mostly depends on the job atmosphere. First of all, have you ever went in there and basically observe the environment- like is it a formal atmosphere in which people talk and work very professionally or super casual?
I personally prefer casual dresses and nice shoes, along with making sure that your hair looks good too. From your outfit choices, I'd say go for a pencil skirt with a simple top, and maybe heels? I would strongly recommend to not wear jeans at job interviews since from my experience, many jobs consider jeans as "casual/simple" attire and "unprofessional". Well I hope this helps, good luck to you on your interview!

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Interview outfit? - August 11th 2013, 02:43 AM

I wore dress pants and nice shoes to my recent interview, and then a simple but nice-looking top. In other words, rather than a T-Shirt go for something nicer looking, but you don't have to go over the top fancy or anything. So basically a pair of dress pants would be perfect! Then just look through your closet or in stores for a nicer shirt. Mine was just a purple-ish color but it wasn't T-Shirt style.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
millerdancer15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Interview outfit? - August 11th 2013, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I just took a class in which we learned what to wear/how to prepare for interviews, but that was in context of like the business world. This is a super casual boutique, when I went to get an application, the employee I got it from was wearing shorts, a tshirt, and a cardigan with flats. Of what I have, I was thinking of either a strapless casual green dress with dark blue polka dots and a dark blue cardigan with some cute jewelry and heels or this dark blue high-low top and a scarf with dark skinny jeans(look really dressy for being jeans) and black wedges or said wedges and skinny jeans with either a grey and white striped blazer or a black blazer.

If I can figure it out, I will take some pictures of what I have and find some online of the stuff at the store.

People don't cry because they are weak. People cry because they have been strong for too long.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
millerdancer15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Interview outfit? - August 13th 2013, 03:07 AM

So I've pretty much settled on this outfit. I was trying them on this morning, and I felt like this one looked the best for the place that I was going. I know most of you said no jeans, but I feel like they are more appropriate than any of my other options.

But now I'm stuck on the shoes. I bought a really formal dress yesterday because my whole family pressured me into it, then I decided that it was way too business-y. With the dress I got a pair of shoes. I still LOVE the shoes. So I have the ones I just bought, these:

They're kind of lacy looking.

Or I have wedges that I have had for a little while, these:

I will be wearing these with skinny jeans. I tried them both on this morning and they were both cute, so I really don't know.

Also, I will have awesome jewelry on with the outfit too.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
millerdancer15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Interview outfit? - August 13th 2013, 03:24 AM

Here is the website for the store so you guys can get kind of an idea http://www.alijboutique.com/

Although now I'm kind of panicking again that I'm going too casual.

For reference, here is the one that my family told me to buy:

Here's another one that I liked, but I felt was also a little business-y.

And another one that I like, but I just felt like wasn't quite right for the situation...

AGH, I am so confused!

When I was at the store, I was kind of looking at this dress, would it be better?

Probably would wear a blazer over that one.

I am just really incredibly confused right now. Thoughts?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Interview outfit? - August 13th 2013, 03:48 AM

I know the atmosphere is casual, but sometimes it looks best to an employer to dress professionally until they say what the dress code is. I do like the dress your family picked out.

Closed Thread