TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

How should I do my makeup/hair? - September 14th 2013, 11:35 PM

So, I recently got cast in my school's production of the musical Oklahoma! I'm in the ensemble (chorus, background, whatever you call it ) The show isn't for a while, but I've already been thinking about how I want to do my makeup/hair. I suck at those types of things, so I want to practice now, so come showtime, I can actually make myself look nice.

The musical is set in Oklahoma territory (it wasn't a state yet) in 1906. There are two groups of people: The farmers and the cowboys. I think I'll be playing a farmer girl, but it's subject to change. Needless to say, the look and feel is very old fashioned country. As of now, I'm onstage during only two numbers. The two numbers I'm on stage during are two parties. One is a "box social", which is a fundraiser dance. The other is a wedding. I know that back in 1906, people probably didn't wear too much makeup, but for social events and weddings they might have worn some.

How should I do my makeup and my hair? What would people look like back then? I tried looking at pictures, but I couldn't really see their makeup. Just to let you know, I don't have a costume yet, but I assume that it would be something countryish.

I want to practice my makeup/hair now so I can perfect my look by the show. TY in advance!

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: How should I do my makeup/hair? - September 14th 2013, 11:40 PM

I think the people in charge of the production will let you know these things. At least when I was in a school production I was told what to wear along with my costume. Also we had the makeup done for us....Maybe you can ask how it'll work?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: How should I do my makeup/hair? - September 15th 2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryffindor94 View Post
I think the people in charge of the production will let you know these things. At least when I was in a school production I was told what to wear along with my costume. Also we had the makeup done for us....Maybe you can ask how it'll work?
They usually tell us what to wear and that's it. At least it was like that for the three productions I've done with this group. It could change tho! We usually have to do our own makeup. I usually had a friend do mine but she graduated and it living away at college now. But I could ask! I just assumed we'd be doing our own, because that's what we do.

Savvy?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: How should I do my makeup/hair? - September 16th 2013, 12:52 AM

Since you know when it was set you could perhaps look up pictures of the make up style they used to wear back then and base your's off of that?

I found these tips from a site about make up trends throughout the years :
- Makeup during the beginning of the 20th century was minimalist.
- Women used homemade remedies such as rice powder for the face, beet juice as a lip stain, pinched cheeks and lemon juice to lighten the skin.
- The sickly look was popular and often under eye circles were emphasized and crimson red lips were worn.

Closed Thread