TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Primer/foundation advice? - September 23rd 2013, 12:15 AM

So, I'm kind of new to the makeup world, so I'm really clueless as to how to use things. Or what they're for exactly. I get eyeliner and eyeshadow and stuff like that. But the only thing that bothers me is primer/foundation. I don't really know what it's supposed to do. Or how to use it.

My face is somewhat oily/broken out. I have a few zits here and there, and also a little red spots. I have a lot of pores on my cheeks and nose. They look like a lot of little needles poked my cheeks. Whenever I use primer and then foundation, it makes them look clogged and, well, like I have foundation on. I know that some people put it on and it disappears and they look like they don't have makeup on. But when I do it, you can totally tell that I have it on. I hate it! Am I not using the primer/foundation correctly? Should I try something else? Everything I try still makes it look like I have makeup on! Even if I use setting power after. Even washing my face before doesn't help. Any advice?

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 23rd 2013, 12:35 AM

It sounds like to me that a concealer is the best way to go for you since the purpose is trying to hide pimples and spots. If you're interested in primers and foundations, the purpose of those are basically adjusting skin tone. For instance, a foundation comes in the form of cream, liquid, powder, or stick - depending on which one you're more comfortable to use. It's like the base of your makeup, usually the first thing you put on when doing full-face make-up. You can also use it to hide skin flaws to a minor degree, but it will not hide pimples or spots. A primer on the other hand, is like a gel that helps make-up stay longer. Just like a foundation, you can also put it on as a base for your make-up. However using make-up on a daily basis isn't good for your skin, but if you are looking ways to prevent zits, sometimes a healthy diet fixes the problem. You could also see a doctor about it too. I hope I explained the makeup well, and hope it works out!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 23rd 2013, 02:03 AM

What type of foundation are you using? Are you using it on a freshly washed face?
It could be you just need something lighter, such as a tinted moisturizer. Make sure you are really rubbing it in and not just smearing it on your face and not blending it.
Primer is to prepare your face for foundation, so definitely keep using that because it should help even your skin out.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 24th 2013, 08:35 PM

I do wash my face before. I'm not really trying to hide the zits too much. Just the red spots/pores. I'm not sure what I use, but they're both liquid.

I do have a stick concealer. Should I use that?

TY for the advice though!

Savvy?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Debaser Offline
Tabula Rasa
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Louise

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 26th 2013, 04:41 PM

A liquid foundation could be too heavy on your skin, creating that 'cakey' look that highlights spots and pores. I'd advise trying a cream, or mouse and always prime - it really helps even the surface before your start concealing. As said above, blending is of the utmost importance, i'd definitely invest in some decent foundation brushes!

Send a message via MSN to Debaser Send a message via Skype™ to Debaser 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 26th 2013, 11:52 PM

Hey,

First of all, lets address the oily skin. There are steps you can take to combat oily skin. You should be washing your face 1-2 times a day with a face cleanser. Neutrogena makes good face cleansers so I recommend those. You should also be moisturizing. I know that might sound counterproductive at first, but if you don't moisturize, then your body will feel the need to compensate and produce more oil.

Second, you need to be using products that are good quality. Products like foundation are the products that are definitely worth paying more for. For primer, I recommend Rimmel London Fix and Perfect Foundation Primer, which is about $8. Make sure you let your primer dry before you start foundation. For foundation, I highly recommend MakeupForever HD Foundation. While it is pricey (around $40), it is a fantastic product. To figure out your color, head to a store like Sephora or Ulta and they will help you find a good color for you. Next, I recommend a good concealer. Conceal Rx Physicians Strength Concealer is a fairly good concealer. The last thing you need a good setting powder. This will give you a matte finish and help prevent oil. If you are very oily, you might want to reapply the powder throughout the day. MAC has a good setting powder. While it may be a bit pricey, products like that are worth paying more for. Not to mention, it will probably take you at least a year to go through the powder so it's actually not that expensive in the long run. When you apply powder, don't drag the brush across your skin or you will disturb the concealer.

The third thing you need is brushes. Thankfully, brushes aren't too expensive. I use the ELF studio brush line and it is fantastic. It's made of synthetic fiber instead of animal hair so it doesn't absorb as much bacteria. You also need to wash your brush after every use if possible. You can wash your brush with baby shampoo and ELF makes a good antibacterial spray.

The fourth thing you need is practice. It takes practice to get your foundation looking flawless. Make sure you always blend down your neck a bit so you don't end up with a foundation line. There are also foundation tutorials out there that can be of great help.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Take care,
Kitty.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Alexa

Re: Primer/foundation advice? - September 27th 2013, 03:29 PM

You already have great advice. Haha, but I suggest applying it to major parts of the face. Nose, forehead, chin. Whatever and rub it in, in circles. Good luck!

Closed Thread