TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 01:07 PM

Am I the only one here who sometimes buy clothes from charity shops? Most people I know my age wouldn't step foot in one. I don't see the problem, I'm giving money to charity, I'm getting cheap clothes and people who donated them now have more space in their wardrobes it's win win.

I put them in the wash as soon as I buy them because I'm slightly germaphobic but once they're washed they're fine. I bought a really cute hoodie from one a few days ago for £5.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 04:32 PM

You'd be surprised at how many university students go rooting through charity shops

I volunteer in one so I see loads of different age groups coming in and out so charity shops definitely aren't just for old people anymore. Some nice stuff gets donated too. I sometimes organise the donations and it's amazing what people just give away, designer labels still with the tags on and everything

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 04:48 PM

I'm assuming that charity shops are the equivalent to what Goodwill and Salvation Army are in the U.S. & In that case I totally love them! Sometimes it's difficult to find things there... I guess it depends on when you go and what's been donated recently. Sometimes I dislike the way things are sorted because I don't like having to go through everything to find something that I like. But when you find a pair of jeans for $4 or a designer purse or something for a ridiculously cheap amount it's totally worth it. A relative got me a purse from Goodwill for Christmas that I later found out would regularly be around $300. So it's incredibly awesome to get quality things for such a cheap price. I don't care that they're used, it doesn't bother me after washing them. And it's always awesome to go on a shopping spree and get a ton of clothes while spending hardly anything. People who refuse to shop at these stores simply because the clothes are used are totally missing out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 05:30 PM

Yeah, I shop there! Actually, that's where a lot of my clothes come from. I don't see a problem with it at all. I've gotten designer things new with tags and saved a lot of money on items that would normally cost more. I like looking around and finding unique things. We also shop there for my special needs brother because he goes through clothes so quickly.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 06:11 PM

I don't shop an awful lot at charity shops...but then, I don't shop for clothes an awful lot anyway. Fashion generally isn't really my thing.

I know that quite a lot of people will, though, and actually I've been quite surprised at how creative some people are with things from charity shops, where they'll buy something for a low price and do something really cool with it.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 07:59 PM

I've never shopped at a charity shop before, but I plan on trying it out sometime in the future.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 08:44 PM

I have! I like getting the cheaper clothes there . Often, I can find a lot of newer things . I would rather spend less on things at those kinds of stores than go and buy expensive clothing that's just as good. I've also bought stuff for dance and Halloween costumes there . I get a lot of clothing from yard sales and other similar things too. You're definitely not alone!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Charity shops - February 25th 2014, 09:09 PM

I'll be honest and say first off I don't shop often. It's even safe to say I shop for clothing very rarely and therefore don't find the need to go to charity shops. However I do support the idea, I think the idea is great. My only problem with it is that here where I'm from, I found there to be somewhat corruption (I don't mean serious corruption but maybe small unfair action or abusing their power- though I'm talking more of the higher ups). It's hard to give concrete examples but from the stories I've heard, I made up my mind to not trust them or at least trust them less than I would have. That's just me. I still love the idea.

One thing I did participate in was the stop and swap. I was a volunteer and basically, people came in and brought gently used items from their home that they no longer need/use and as they came in, us volunteers collected it and sorted them onto tables while people were able to go around each table, taking items for free. I also got a few free things from there and it was a great experience. I got a pack of sticky notes, a bicycle seat (gave it to my dad, whose bicycle seat has been stolen a few years back). My sister got some clothing. This was not a charity shop. It's actually an event from an organization(GrowNYC) that focuses on environmental issues and avoiding landfills was the idea here.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
aqua Offline
retro machine comes inbetween
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sian

Re: Charity shops - March 2nd 2014, 11:14 PM

Charity shops are great for cosplayers. If you need a certain item or don't want to buy a brand new t-shirt or whatever to mess it up for cosplay, its quids in.
Even for just general wear, you can find some really nice unworn clothes with the tags still on for a bargain.
My mum is really weird about buying clothes from charity shops, like its 'trampy' to wear second hand clothes. Not at all.
I'm on the hunt at the moment in charity shops for my next cosplay.

Self-harm free since: October 2013
~Follow me on Tumblr~

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Charity shops - March 4th 2014, 06:33 PM

In the UK, most reputable charity shops will have all garments washed and laundered before being racked up for sale. I applaud this because some lesser known charities don't do that. Usually I buy from Cancer Research, Oxfam and a couple of others in my town and have come away with some pretty outstanding bargains.

I collect LPs in "fine" condition, among them an original Led Zeppelin album worth quite a bit of money, and have some 500 LPs in my collection, all bought from charity shops. Plus many CDs.

On Saturdays, arrive as early as possible because usually these shops are packed out by 11 am. I'm sure you'll find a bargain, just what you want because it's always the early bird that gets the worm.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Charity shops - March 6th 2014, 11:57 PM

I don't personally use them as I do not like wearing clothes that others have worn before..but I know a few of my friends do because they can get "vintage styles" and some brand name stuff from them. They just make sure they wash them a few times to get the germs out.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
stelles Offline
stelles
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Estelle/Stelles

Re: Charity shops - March 7th 2014, 12:32 AM

I'm guessing these are similar to Goodwill and Unique and places like that. And those are basically the only places I shop! Especially for stuff like halloween costumes, t-shirts, or sweatshirts. I don't buy shoes from them because I just don't like the idea of used shoes, and if I need good quality stuff I don't look there. But right now most of my outfit is from one of those stores
by the way it's really fun to go in those stores with a friend and pick out the craziest outfit you can find to wear out in public

Be yourself, because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  Send a message via Skype™ to stelles 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Charity shops - March 7th 2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
In the UK, most reputable charity shops will have all garments washed and laundered before being racked up for sale. I applaud this because some lesser known charities don't do that. Usually I buy from Cancer Research, Oxfam and a couple of others in my town and have come away with some pretty outstanding bargains.

I collect LPs in "fine" condition, among them an original Led Zeppelin album worth quite a bit of money, and have some 500 LPs in my collection, all bought from charity shops. Plus many CDs.

On Saturdays, arrive as early as possible because usually these shops are packed out by 11 am. I'm sure you'll find a bargain, just what you want because it's always the early bird that gets the worm.
They probably are clean but I'm irrational and still think they're full of germs

(#14 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Charity shops - March 7th 2014, 04:15 PM

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f25-f...shop-shopping/

They're great.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Charity shops - March 10th 2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Believe View Post
They probably are clean but I'm irrational and still think they're full of germs

As you're in the UK, Store Twenty One is worth visiting for good quality clothes, but at rock bottom prices. Really rock bottom, too. Often cheaper than charity shops, even. Being brand new the clothes wouldn't be so troubling for you and the stores are in most major towns.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
sharonlemana Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Charity shops - March 14th 2014, 12:19 PM

Yes, my friend! you are right.....We need to do the charity.....It help other as us too...:P

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Charity shops - March 14th 2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpig View Post
As you're in the UK, Store Twenty One is worth visiting for good quality clothes, but at rock bottom prices. Really rock bottom, too. Often cheaper than charity shops, even. Being brand new the clothes wouldn't be so troubling for you and the stores are in most major towns.
My mother's like obsessed with the place The T shirt I'm wearing now is actually from there

Closed Thread