TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Suggestions? - May 25th 2014, 09:34 PM

Hi all.

I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions for facial cleanser or something to prevent/get rid of break outs. I use a hair product to tame my jungle curly hair, which is what could be causing the break outs on my forehead. And stress, too, I'm guessing. Lately I've been getting more all over my face and I can't get rid of anything before it increases. I was using a pore scrub daily that seemed to irritate my skin so I'm currently looking for something else. Usually, I take my makeup off nightly before bed and I don't use foundation in the heat because it comes right off anyway. So, any suggestions for sensitive skin?

Not sure if this is in the right forum, feel free to move it.

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

Last edited by cynefin; May 26th 2014 at 12:03 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Suggestions? - May 25th 2014, 10:35 PM

If you have sensitive skin (or even just acne prone skin) I recommend using a simple foaming cleanser that doesn't have any perfumes in it. I use Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser and it's really simple but because it foams up I feel like it cleans really deep even though it's very simple. I also recommend only washing your face at night to take off your makeup.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
sunflower Offline
bathing in lavender sunshine
Average Joe

Name: Donné

Re: Suggestions? - May 25th 2014, 11:17 PM

I also use the Neutrogena facial cleanser mentioned above. I use that when I shower.

Then I'll use a toner/astringent if my face feel gross during the day.

For preventative care, I use coconut oil. I know it sounds crazy. I thought it was crazy until I started using it. Coconut is an extremely stable oil and when you put it on your face it stabilizes your oil. Put a thin layer all over your face before bed. It can also get rid of small blemishes and prevent scarring.

This is the best regimen I've found.

Oh, I also use oil of Olay (not actually oil, and it doesn't say that on the box, but it's been called that for years lol...) A lot of people say that's bad but I haven't had any problems.

If you use makeup, try to reduce your routine. Like if you do full face, try lighter coverage, etc. Even products that are good for your skin are worse than just letting your face get air and sunlight.

Use gentle sunscreen moisturizer. I like aveeno if I don't wear makeup. If I do wear makeup, my foundation is a sunscreen too.

My ears are always open. If you want to vent, chit-chat, anything, just send me a message

Every drop in the ocean counts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Suggestions? - May 26th 2014, 02:04 AM

My acne is getting crazy right now too. It could definitely be from hair products; mine caused acne. Could you wear a headband or put your hair up when you sleep or exercise so your hair doesn't touch your face? I try to change my pillowcases often so no oil from my hair gets put on my face when I sleep.

For makeup, I recommend finding a foundation that is oil-free, made for sensitive skin, or made to fight acne. I mainly use an oil-free foundation and I only put it on when I'm going out. That way, my skin can "breathe" when I'm at home.

For washing your face, a foaming cleanser should work well! I used Neutrogena for a while and was quite pleased with it. However, it ended up not being strong enough for my skin at one point, so I switched to another foaming cleanser!

It's a good idea to find a skin routine and try to stick to it. Do you wash your face in the morning? It probably depends on your skin type whether you should do that or not!

At night, a good routine to stick to is: get all makeup off/wash with a foaming cleanser, toner (optional, but it makes my skin all glowy ), moisturize (especially if any product you use makes your skin dry. Moisturizing with something good will make sure your skin doesn't produce excess oils to make up for dryness and cause even more acne), then you can always use a spot treatment on specific areas.

Good luck! Acne is the worst.

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

Re: Suggestions? - May 26th 2014, 02:56 AM

I would try some of the cleansers that have been mentioned, and if those don't work, there are companies that make natural soaps. usually found at heath food stores, or organic grocery stores (you can also look on etsy. there are people who make soaps. they are a little bit harder to get, but i hear they work well). when my acne was really bad i got a little bottle of a spot treatment, which i believe was just witch hazel.

anyway, if you break out from any of the medicated stuff, try something natural. i know my skin is really sensitive to chemicals. i used to have a moisturizer that made me break out like crazy.

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Suggestions? - May 26th 2014, 03:34 AM

Thanks for all the help, guys! But yeah, some of the stuff can be worse for your skin sometimes. I actually use Neutrogena makeup remover and it might help if I try and stick to a single brand. I was using a scrub daily in the shower but it ended up burning my face somehow. I usually keep my hair up all the time just because having curly hair is like having a mop on your head. I leave it down when I sleep, though. I've heard that making the water as cold as you can stand it right before you get out of the shower does something to help. Anyway, getting off topic here. I'll look into all of the suggestions. Thanks again!

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

Re: Suggestions? - May 26th 2014, 04:02 AM

one more thing is (i dont know what ingredients are in your makeup remover) instead of makeup remover, you can use coconut oil (or other oil. anything works)

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Suggestions? - May 26th 2014, 02:13 PM

I would also recommend a foaming cleanser. Neutrogena is pretty good as Nicole suggested and so is Clinique, which is what I use. Anyways, as for the makeup, sometimes break outs happen because of the heat. I would recommend wearing something lighter for the skin such as powder so that the pores are still exposed. You could try looking around makeup stores for sensitive skin powder or foundation or if you go to the mall in a store such as Macy's or JcPenny, you could ask the makeup people what kind of makeup would be the best for your skin. Hope this helps.

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#9 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Suggestions? - May 28th 2014, 10:00 PM

I was able to purchase Neutrogena foaming cleanser and toner today. Thanks, everyone!

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

Closed Thread