TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Prom dress question - February 3rd 2015, 12:20 AM

I want to go Prom dress shopping pretty soon and beat the rush of people shopping in the spring. However, I don't really know what I'm looking for in a dress. I don't wear dresses often and don't know how to pick one that would look good on me. I tend to look at what I find pretty and not what would be pretty on me. I've flipped through a few magazines and browsed some pictures online but nothing has really caught my eye. I figure I'd have to try a few on before I find the one for me. But I was just wondering, how many Prom dresses is an acceptable amount to try on? Would Prom dress outlets get annoyed after I try on a certain amount? Also, how many places be people normally go to before they find the right one? I know it probably varies from person to person, but I have no idea what dress I want and have no idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your help! Since I don't really know where to start, I figure I should start now!

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Prom dress question - February 3rd 2015, 12:34 AM

Hi there,

When it comes to trying on dresses, you are the paying customer and you're really entitled to try on as many as you'd like. However, the employees may grow frustrated if you're on your tenth dress and haven't made up your mind.

How about asking one of the staff what style they think would look good on you? They're trained to have a keen eye for style, and understand what styles look good on various skin tones and body types.

Personally, I tried on only one because I ordered mine online. It's not uncommon to go to two, three boutiques to try on dresses. However, try them on early! It can get super busy.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Prom dress question - February 3rd 2015, 06:02 AM

Hey there,

You are the customer and you are entitled to try on as many as you want. The employees may get slightly annoyed if you try on a lot but don't buy anything or come close to narrowing it down. I would suggest you try going in at an odd hour because it will be far less busy and the employees will be a little less frazzled.

When I went shopping I had an idea of the style I wanted but when I tried it on I didn't like it. I would honestly recommend trying on a variety of styles to get a sense. I went to multiple boutiques to find a style I liked and a colour as well as the design on the dress. I didn't find a dress that I fell in love completely with but I did find a few that I liked parts of. So, I had mine made and I got to customize the colour/style/design.

It's a good idea to start earlier rather than later. Also, keep in mind the 'unspoken rules' at your school and make sure you check out your school's book/page to see if you find a dress that someone else had. For example, my school had a Facebook page where you were to post your dress to make sure no one else had the same one. My school also had a rule where the students who were graduating wore long dresses and anyone who was older/younger had to wear dresses above the knee so they didn't steal the spotlight or something. It was a rule that has been around for years.

Good luck.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Prom dress question - February 4th 2015, 07:23 PM

Hey there,

I understand that dress shopping can be a little difficult at times due to the large
variety of dresses at the mall or store, where ever you are shopping. A couple of recommendations that I would suggest for dress shopping are:

1) Find something that YOU like and that catches YOUR attention. I'm emphasizing on this because often times when you are shopping with someone else such as parents, family members, or friends, their choices can affect your own choices and preferences.
Since prom dresses can be quite expensive at the same time, it is important to pick something that you like and are willing to wear for one special night. Don't let others pick out your dress and tell you; there is a difference between taking suggestions into consideration and letting their preference take over yours.

2) Find a dress within your budget- From my experience and what I have heard, people tend to go really overboard with prom dresses and that is totally up to you if you are wanting to do that. However, it is also important to not exceed your budget and buy something that you can afford. You could also "rent" a dress- like I know some people who buy a dress for an event and then return that dress afterwards. You could do that too, depending on the store's return policy.

3) Be open to trying different styles and new things wherever you are shopping at. We may think that some styles, shades of color, or something unusual about the dress may not look good on us. Don't be too quick in jumping to a conclusion. Try on the dress and then assess it. Have time and enjoy looking around the store and try out all the styles that are available. Among them, you will find something for you.

Hope this helps and hope you have a great time at your prom!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BreathingIn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Prom dress question - February 5th 2015, 07:53 PM

Hi there!

Any kind of shopping can be confusing and tiring.. There's so many choices!

My advice would be to not try on TOO many.. No more than 10 or 15. Because then it's harder to make a decision. I would also stick to a couple stores, maybe 2 or 3. But don't worry about if you're spending too much time in the store. Like others said, you are the customer, so take your time and browse and try on to your liking. I just gave the little bit of limitations as a suggestion if you feel like you're becoming overwhelmed in choosing one

Also, try on a dress you sort of like but aren't sure of, because sometimes you can be surprised when you actually have it on.

Good luck!! And update us on what you choose

Closed Thread