TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lilyofthewest Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lily

Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 01:26 PM

So I'm fairly new to putting on makeup, only started doing it myself a few months ago and even then I only wear it once a week at most (my parents don't know about my gender woes yet and get uncomfortable when I wear it). I've gotten used to most of the main components of my makeup routine - I can do basic eyeshadow and mascara reasonably well, everything else is simple enough - but the one that I can't seem to master is eyeliner, and it's an awful shame because it's my favourite part of makeup. xD

For the record I'm using a very inexpensive liquid eyeliner (I bought it in Penneys/Primark), and my main problems are...
1) I can't seem to get the eyeliner on that magic spot just above my lash. It always ends up way above the lash and looks weird. Either that or I poke myself in the eye.
2) I struggle to keep control of my strokes when doing it and end up slipping.
3) I always, always without fail open my eyes too wide before it's dry and end up messing it up. xD It's so annoying because I need to start over then!

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really want to be able to do it myself, at the moment I always have to get my friends to help me with it and it's embarrassing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 03:09 PM

Eyeliner is the hardest part about makeup for me as well! I just have a few suggestions. When you're applying, instead of making long strokes, try making little ones and connecting them, that might help keep you from slipping. I have a friend who even makes little dots on her eye first, then just connects them. I personally use a pencil eyeliner, the one I have is like a crayon consistency, and while it isn't as long lasting, it's way easier to apply than liquid eyeliner. It might be easier to get the hang of pencil eyeliner first, and then move on to liquid. Lastly, there's tons of tutorials on YouTube that you could give a try. This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0vliuLm28

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 03:25 PM

Hey there! I have to agree with starting out on a pencil. I personally use liquid, but I started on a pen I. What I do when I apply my eyeliner is I obviously close my eye and pull the corner of my eye to make my eyelid smooth. I then slowly make very thin, short lines and work my way to the inner eye. Eyeliner is the one thing I'll take my time on where my makeup is concerned. But honestly, practice makes perfect. Maybe on a day you have time practice applying eyeliner and watch tutorials like Nicole suggested! Good luck

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 04:58 PM

Sing the chorus of your favorite song in your head before you open your eye to admire your work. I know exactly how you feel, too many times have I ended up with black semi circles above my eye

Take as long as you need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
alongfortheride Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 07:05 PM

Eye liner took me ages to master but once you've got it you can try out liquid, pen etc. Pick a moment in the day when you know your not going to be disturbed (having black smudgy eyes is not a look easy to explain )and practice! Try using the back of you hand to begin to see which pressures work best and produce the most liquid and then once you feel comfortable with that try with you eye, you will eventually get the hang of it trust me :')
Also just to add, you mentioned you're using cheap liquid. This really confused me when I started using eyeliner but as a heads-up, cheap eyeliner is great to start with as you will need to practice but it can crack and fall off throughout the day if you wear it out or something. I found sometimes doing 2 layers can help stop that or trying different eyeliners. Just thought I should mention that because I was like whaa when that happened to me
Good luck!! x

We were born to be
real
not perfect

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lilyofthewest Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lily

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 1st 2015, 07:52 PM

Thank you for the tips lovelies, you're all awesome! <3 Indeed I learned from experience that having black smudges around my eyes isn't easy to explain, that's why I don't get much of a chance to practice. xD Anyway thanks again for your help friends!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Eyeliner; help meeee. - June 3rd 2015, 06:33 PM

Hey Lily,
Liquid eyeliner is the bane of my existence, it is so difficult to get perfect. I always use a pencil for the bottom of my eye and a liquid one for my eyelid. There are lots of people on YouTube who will show you step by step how to apply eyeliner or other pieces of make-up there are also lots of tips to help you perfect your look.

Best of luck,
Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

Closed Thread