TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Dress Altering Worries - June 15th 2015, 09:38 PM

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this so I stuck it here for now.

So basically it's my graduation ball in less than a month's time and I got myself a really nice dress ages ago and spent quite a bit of money on it (175) because I never went to my prom in high school and it was the only dress I could find that really fit me well.

Anyway, I'm a bit short so the dress is quite long on me and I'm not planning on wearing heels so I'm going to end up tripping over it unless I go and get it taken up a bit.

I'm really worried that something will go wrong or an accident will happen and the people at the shop will ruin my dress and I can't really afford to get myself a new dress if this happens. If this happens are the shop liable to compensate me? Should I take pictures of the dress beforehand in case something does happen and they try to say it wasn't their fault?

Last edited by arepo; June 16th 2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Moving to Fashion & Style. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
nyx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dress Altering Worries - June 15th 2015, 11:57 PM

Hello,

I think you should take some pictures, just in case. But thats what I found on the internet:

"When a trader carries out a service for you, the law says they must use reasonable care and skill. If they don't do this and your belongings are damaged or lost as a result, you may be able to make a claim from the trader responsible for any losses you have suffered.

Legally, a trader has a responsibility to take good care of belongings left in their possession. If they lose or damage your belongings, they must compensate you unless they can show that what happened to them wasn't their fault.

This usually means they must give you money to get the item repaired or replaced. You can ask them to repair or replace the item if you'd prefer this, or they may offer to do it, but they don't have to.

If your belongings need to be replaced, you might not get back what you paid for them, or enough to pay for a new replacement. The trader only needs to pay you what the belongings were worth when you left them with the trader. This will take into account how old your belongings are and their condition."

Hope it will help you

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Dress Altering Worries - June 16th 2015, 06:41 AM

Pretty much what was said before. When you bring an item in to be serviced, that item is still until your ownership, and the store keeps detailed records, and gives you receipts to show that this dress is yours. If anything irreparable happens to your dress while it is in their care, you are completely in the right to have them repair or replace it at cost.

Also, keep in mind that these people are professionals. They do this as a career. As such, they take a bit of care and ownership of their work. It would be terrible for their business image if they kept ruining dresses. So they take care to insure that does not happen.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
Closed Thread