TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 08:06 PM

I'm moving from Arizona to Michigan, and I don't really have the clothing for it. I lived in the mountains for 18 years, but the weather was very different there as it was still the desert. Any suggestions? I'm planning on buying some jeans this week (I only have one pair of jeans right now...I usually only wear shorts and my work pants I've lived in Phoenix for four years, no judgment), but what are some other things I should consider? Are snow pants necessary? I don't ski or anything, but I've never lived in such a cold place so I don't really know the necessities.

Currently own for cold weather:
1) A pair of tennis shoes
2) A waterproof trench coat, which worked well for me in the mountains and my visits to New York and such
3) A pair of snow boots my sister gave me
4) Some hats, gloves, and loooots of scarves.

Planned investments
1) More jeans
2) Long underwear
3) A pair of hiking boots that are waterproof but not as clunky as the snow boots
4) Thick socks

Any other suggestions? I'll mostly hit up Goodwill for these types of things, but store suggestions wouldn't be bad either. Just keep in mind I'm a college student living on very little so $100 shoes are not going to happen.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 08:13 PM

I don't know how cold Michigan is but here you don't need snow pants.

Hoodies are nice. Just saying. I'd also find some sort of sweater or long sleeved shirts to wear because sometimes indoors is too hot for hoodies but too cool for short sleeves.

Good idea on boots. By tennis shoes do you mean something like Converse that have little holes in the sides or is it something fully covering your feet? Getting snow in your shoes is not fun.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Sparkly Queer~* View Post
I don't know how cold Michigan is but here you don't need snow pants.

Hoodies are nice. Just saying. I'd also find some sort of sweater or long sleeved shirts to wear because sometimes indoors is too hot for hoodies but too cool for short sleeves.

Good idea on boots. By tennis shoes do you mean something like Converse that have little holes in the sides or is it something fully covering your feet? Getting snow in your shoes is not fun.
Like, lace up tennis shoes that you go to the gym in. I also own a pair of Vans, but they're canvas Vans that would get snow in them pretty easily. But they'd be good for the fall, I suppose.

Oh, I do have some hoodies. I'll make sure they make it in the suitcase, and probably get a less tattered one up there.

This will be me

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 08:53 PM

No need for the long underwear or hiking boots, but invest in a winter coat. They can be pricey, but it's totally worth it! Good will is a good option if you can find one that's not too worn out or ask for one for a birthday/Christmas present. An extra pair of sneakers and you can never have too many pairs of socks. If you get snow in your shoes, they'll need at least a day to dry out. (maybe that's just me), well fitting snow boots, you'll be wearing them most of the year (snow as early as Halloween that won't melt until April or May) you're better off with snow boots. They may seem clunky now, but in snow and slush they're a must have. Also, long sleeved shirts, and sweat shirts. You'll be living in them most of the year. And no need for snow pants, but a windbreaker with a hood is a good idea for the days it's warmer, but pouring rain. Gloves are also necessary, I'd suggest something other than the knitted/cloth kind because once those get wet, they're pretty useless.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 10:24 PM

I find wearing vest tops under a long sleeved top works well for me. I'm in England though. It might be worth investing in a coat - like a puffa jacket or something similar, normal underwear is fine, in the winter I just like wear long socks under my jeans and a pair of leggins, hoodies are great to. so are sweaters, thermal socks work well aswell. Here in england we have these things called headphone ear muffs, they are like uusal ear muffs but plug into your ipod etc and work as headphones at the same time might be worth getting some of those!

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 1st 2015, 11:58 PM

Being from Seattle, it gets pretty cold. I recommend obtaining lots of flannels, sweaters, and long sleeve shirts. During the winter I tend to wear a long sleeve, a light jacket, and then a thicker coat on top. That tends to keep me pretty warm. Hats are also a great idea! It's not true that you lose most of your heat from your head, but it will keep you warm. Long underwear probably isn't necessary, I haven't owned a pair in years. Thick shoes are a good idea though and thick socks. Sometimes I like to wear a pair of leggings or thick tights under my jeans, it may be worth getting a pair.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 2nd 2015, 05:44 AM

I'm from the west coast of Canada and I haven't had an actual snow jacket or snow pants since I was in middle school and we did a fair amount of skiing trips through school. I have a few thicker jackets that aren't exactly waterproof which I wear if it snows or is cold. As for long underwear, I don't think you need it. I had a pair for when we went skiing or camping in the winter and I only wore them a few times. I usually tend to wear jeans or leggings (you can get fleece lined ones which are awesome!) and a hoodie. We get Arctic Outflow where I live and when it is really cold then I will wear a thicker jacket and a hoodie underneath and sometimes a thin sweater as well. I don't tend to get cold that easily but my fingers are usually what gets the coldest. So, I will either wear gloves or keep a pair of hand warmers in my pockets. :P The toe warmers work to keep your feet warm if you're planning on being outside for long periods of time and the hand warmers are great and they last a long time. I have a pair of Hunter boots that I wear with the boot socks or I wear my normal shoes if there isn't a lot of snow. If there's a fair amount of snow on the ground, I have a pair of La Canadienne snow boots.

-You probably don't need hiking shoes if you have snow boots (you can always use rain boots if they have good traction and inserts if there isn't a lot of snow on the ground.)
-Jeans are a good idea but if it's cold out you can wear leggings or longer warm socks.
-Gloves: You can get some of the knit ones and thinner ones if it's not snowing or wet to keep your fingers warm but you should have at least a couple thicker, waterproof ones.
-Long sleeve shirts, thinner sweaters, hoodies and maybe a few flannels because you can layer with them. I will wear a hoodie underneath the flannel. You can do something like this or this. You'll want to layer.
-Toques or something to keep your head/ears warm.

You can check out the buy-sell groups in your area because there can be good deals there, Goodwill, or other thrift stores like the Salvation Army or Value Village. Forever 21 has decent prices, I've heard that Charlotte Russe is decently priced, you can check out Old Navy/A&E/Abercrombie&Fitch/Hollister/H&M/Urban Behaviour etc for the sales/clearance sections. I've gotten some good deals on those sites. My friend uses this site and you get a 10% student discount and it's decently priced.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Cold weather suggestions? - August 2nd 2015, 01:04 PM

I'm in Massachusetts, but we get storms and cold weather coming in from the Great Lakes (including Michigan) about 80% of the time. When that happens, I put on long socks, then another pair of socks, and then thermal socks, leggings (that gets tucked into the first pair of socks), and then the pant varies. If I am staying in, I wear flannel pajama bottoms. If I am going out, I wear jeans. Never snow pants, though, so don't bother investing in that. It's not like you plan to tumble about in the snow, right? I just wear regular underwear because the leggings keeps in what little heat there is coming from outside. On top, I might wear an undershirt, to keep extra insulation. On top of that, I would put on either two layers of long-sleeved shirts, a long sleeved shirt and a flannel top, or a long sleeved shirt and a hoodie. If I am staying in, I wear two layers of pajama tops. On my head, i wear earmuffs to cover my ears, as I can't wear hats.

So, I am not sure about that other 20% of winter Michigan weather, but I am sure it gets a bit colder than here--that would be the Polar Vortex. They're saying this winter is supposed to be just as bad as last winter, but I think it's too soon to predict!

So, basically:

- Socks (lots of them) to keep your feet nice and toasty.
- Thermal socks, if you want.
- Leggings.
- More than one pair of pant. It can be jeans or courderoy. Courderoys are nice, because they are thicker than jeans.
- Flannel pajama bottoms
- Long sleeved tops.
- Hoodies and sweaters either pull-over or zip-up sort.
- Ear muffs.
- Hats.

Closed Thread