TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

View Poll Results: your opinions on eyebrow cuts?
awesome 4 80.00%
gross 1 20.00%
MUH CULTURAL APPROPRIASHUN 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

eyebrow lines? - March 25th 2017, 05:54 PM

(only said "lines" because i don't know if the term "eyebrow cuts" would be triggering to anyone. it's probably stupid but you never know.)

so recently i've been editing photos of myself to see what i'd look like with slits in my eyebrows and i really love the look. this wasn't influenced by social media or some clique shit or gang or whatever the fuck conclusions people come to. i just randomly remembered that eyebrow slits were a thing that people could do and happened to really like it.

now, before doing anything like that to my face, because it would take time for it to grow back so i need to know what i'm in for during those few weeks, i did some research on the general opinions of eyebrow cuts.
apparently buzzfeed did an article on how "hip" and "trendy" they are, which made me second-guess my desire to get them because, you know, buzzfeed.

however, in the comments of that article, tons of butthurt people were screaming about how it was such racist "cultural appropriation".
now, in my opinion, cultural appropriation is bullshit and i usually never give two shits about it. however, i'll be going to college soon, and already go to a school with about 200 too many libtards, so i don't want to get lectures on how "privileged and racist" i am for enjoying a style that blacks started.

if you think i'm exaggerating, you obviously haven't seen the video of some white dude with dreads getting berated by a black woman for "cultural appropriation".

in addition to that, i feel like a lot of people will think it's stupid. i honestly thought they were stupid, years ago when i first noticed people wearing them. but all of a sudden i just thought about them and felt like they really clicked with who i am now.
after being raped and going through counseling, i'm about at the part of healing where i'm no longer suffering of depression and being a victim, which is awesome. however, a problem my counselor and i have come across is that i really don't know who i am now. i feel like i let the rape and all my past struggles define me. like i know the things i like and dislike, i know i make jokes at inappropriate times, and i know i'm strong and motivated. but i don't know who i really am.
so soul-searching is something i've really been getting into. this has included not wearing makeup for awhile, trying out yoga and meditation, and changing little bits of my schedule. small things, but they've actually helped, surprisingly.
in addition to that, i've been thinking about all the piercings and tattoos and hairstyles i always wanted, growing up, and thinking about getting them. sometimes a change of looks is a huge part of finding yourself, and so i guess that's where i'm tryna go with this.

so that's the long story of why i want these stupid eyebrow cuts. it's not because it's some trend (not even sure how recent a trend it was, as it seems like the cultural appropriation shit started to shut it down) and it's not symbolic of anything. i really just wanna fuck with my face and see what happens, tbh.

my close guy friend told me it makes me look ghetto and that no guy will even want to talk to me after.
i wish i could say i'm not worried about what other people will think, but i am. i'm terrified. i think it's because it's something i really like and want to do, so for people to reject that would be like them rejecting what is me getting closer to being the real me.

i don't know. any opinions on whatever ranty bullshit i just wrote? would it be dumb to get them or not?
and i just want to get the general opinion of them, so please answer honestly if you think they're stupid or ugly or cool or whatever.
thanks~

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: eyebrow lines? - March 25th 2017, 06:22 PM

Honestly, I feel like when someone tries to talk to you about cultural appropriation, the "right" thing to do isn't to call it a bunch of BS and say we're a bunch of libtards for having a problem with something because it devalues those people's lives experiences. No one is saying you can't wear moccasins (ideally they'd be made by an aboriginal company) or tribal patterns but to disregard it and dis those of us who would speak up about it is kind of insulting. It would be like if I started making crude rape jokes or something. It's not ok. Now maybe you're the "tough" sort of person who thinks people should "suck it up" or something (insert your own words they) and that's really ok. I just think that trying to give some thought and respect to why those people's feelings are valid when they speak about cultural appropriation, whether or not you agree, will help you understand how to tread in these sorts of situations. If eyebrow cuts or whatever they are cross cultural boundaries as it is, then it is more likely to be ok. Whether or not it is stupid and/or will look good when you're about to go to college is a whole other story. But eyebrows grow back fairly quickly; so if you did it now and it looks bad it'll grow back.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: eyebrow lines? - March 25th 2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
Honestly, I feel like when someone tries to talk to you about cultural appropriation, the "right" thing to do isn't to call it a bunch of BS and say we're a bunch of libtards for having a problem with something because it devalues those people's lives experiences. No one is saying you can't wear moccasins (ideally they'd be made by an aboriginal company) or tribal patterns but to disregard it and dis those of us who would speak up about it is kind of insulting. It would be like if I started making crude rape jokes or something. It's not ok. Now maybe you're the "tough" sort of person who thinks people should "suck it up" or something (insert your own words they) and that's really ok. I just think that trying to give some thought and respect to why those people's feelings are valid when they speak about cultural appropriation, whether or not you agree, will help you understand how to tread in these sorts of situations. If eyebrow cuts or whatever they are cross cultural boundaries as it is, then it is more likely to be ok. Whether or not it is stupid and/or will look good when you're about to go to college is a whole other story. But eyebrows grow back fairly quickly; so if you did it now and it looks bad it'll grow back.
thank you for the feedback!

nobody comes up to me and tries to talk to me personally about it, but i've seen it happen between others at my school. allow me to clarify, the stuff i consider bullshit is when people literally DO say "you can't wear moccasins". by all means, the history of the style should be respected (although i must admit that i have never found it necessary to Google "the history of denim jackets" but hey, maybe i'm just a bigot.) however, it would be false to believe that there are not people who do try to police what others wear based off of this issue.
this is honestly the first time i have ever heard someone say "it's okay to wear -insert culturally "claimed" item here- just be sure to know the history of it and respect that." so i thank you for that.
the majority of liberals (please excuse me for using the term "libtards" earlier, i honestly use that word so much i didn't realize i wrote it here. ) i've heard talk about cultural appropriation speak as if they're trying to keep the cultures separate, which is ridiculous. cultures can learn so much from each other and wouldn't sharing something between two be much more progressive than trying to police people from freedom of expression?

i do respect the feelings of other cultures and would never claim a trend as my own (a common microaggression i hear of is that white people supposedly claim trends and say they invented them..? i've never personally heard that one, but hey, anything is possible. this very issue is proof of that.)
i do think "sucking it up" would be a viable option in this situation, as that is exactly what i've been told to do when people have made crude rape jokes towards me.

thank you for your response, it definitely helped as far as my decision on this goes.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Re: eyebrow lines? - April 1st 2017, 07:59 AM

I have a couple of friend who all do it, and it looks rad!

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lauren02 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lauren

Re: eyebrow lines? - April 1st 2017, 01:10 PM

im fine with the ones i have tbh but ever noticed someones eyebrows merge together like one? its weird but interesting at same time

Closed Thread