TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Kufiyas - March 30th 2017, 07:53 PM

Hi everyone,
I honestly wasn't sure if fashion&style is appropriate for this thread, but decided to put it here in the end.
To all those that don't know what kufiya is, it's a kind of a traditional scarf from the Middle East usually worn on the head (I'm sure you've seen it somewhere, here's an example: https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/scf5396882d9f12ad/image/i7ef57babaf623ce3/version/1478740076/image.jpg)
There seems to be an interesting phenomenon connected with this scarf. It has got a meaning that's generally a bit complicated but what's certain is that it wasn't meant to be all the rage.
And yet it has become very popular on the West a few years ago and though its popularity has decreased, it's still possible to see people wearing kufiyas on the streets.
I personally tend to choose my clothes by how much I like them, not by their political or traditional meaning/symbolism. But this case is rather sensitive and I have never bought myself a kufiya even though I've liked the pattern for a long time. What do you think? Would you take into consideration this scarf's meaning, or just wear it because I like it?
Thanks for reading. Take care! <3
Sue

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Kufiyas - March 30th 2017, 08:06 PM

I've seen people wear it around their neck too. I don't know what the kafiyeh means to you but to me, it is a symbol of liberation, social justice and the struggle for freedom and an end to occupation (specifically in Palestine) I don't see anything wrong with that. I like the design and I like the meaning so I would wear it. What's stopping me actually is that wearing that scarf can make the wearer a target of harassment. I have a "mixed race" look but I'm actually Arab so that coupled with wearing the kafiyeh is scary even in a somewhat liberal city.
I do think a white or white passing person wearing it might be safer but you still never know.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Kufiyas - April 1st 2017, 11:15 AM

This is an issue of cultural appropriation. It mostly depends on your intention on why you wear the kufiyas. From what I read on your post, this garment sounds like it has strong cultural backgrounds with deep meaning to it. If you are not of that culture or race and have been invited by someone of that culture to wear it, and you want to wear it because you want to honor the symbolism of what it means, then by all means go for it. But if you just want to wear it because it's pretty and looks good on you, then that right there is cultural appropriation and that's not ok.
Me personally, as a semi-white passing poc who's not from the Middle East, I would not wear this and I would have an issue with anyone who's not Middle Eastern and is wearing this for looks purely. Cultural appropriation is not a joke and I don't take light to the appropriations of culture at all.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Kufiyas - April 1st 2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-the-way View Post
What's stopping me actually is that wearing that scarf can make the wearer a target of harassment. I have a "mixed race" look but I'm actually Arab so that coupled with wearing the kafiyeh is scary even in a somewhat liberal city.
That's true, it potentially could make the wearer a target of harassment. Unfortunately.
You know, what you're saying is actually very depressing - the strength of stereotypes that rule people's minds and reactions; I'm not saying I'm totally free from stereotypes myself, there's always some kind of insecurity in the back of one's mind, but the difference is some people turn aggressive or at least nasty because of that insecurity. I guess there's little we can do with it, though. (except for not reinforcing the stereotypes).
Thanks for your reply. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Darkness View Post
Me personally, as a semi-white passing poc who's not from the Middle East, I would not wear this and I would have an issue with anyone who's not Middle Eastern and is wearing this for looks purely. Cultural appropriation is not a joke and I don't take light to the appropriations of culture at all.
Well yes, that definitely is an issue of cultural appropriation (which is in general very fascinating btw.)
I'm not trying to argue with you, that's absolutely not the case - thank you for sharing your view! Although I'd ask something then: would you say that one cannot wear some accessories or garments that have a meaning because they like it (they neither agree nor disagree with the meaning, they treat the garment... well, as a garment)?
Take care! <3
Sue

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Kufiyas - April 2nd 2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamair View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you, that's absolutely not the case - thank you for sharing your view! Although I'd ask something then: would you say that one cannot wear some accessories or garments that have a meaning because they like it (they neither agree nor disagree with the meaning, they treat the garment... well, as a garment)?
Take care! <3
Sue[/color][/font]
If they treat the garment like a garment without taking in consideration to what the garment means then that's rude and inconsiderate. Clothing and articles to wear can hold great, serious cultural significance especially if it comes from a marginalized culture, and completely disregarding that just for the sake of wearing something cute? That's not ok. It's disrespecting a culture that's already marginalized enough.
The thing about wearing something cultural without acknowledging the fact that people have been harassed and/or killed because their culture isn't eurocentric enough is problematic. I'm not going to attack anyone for wearing a cultural garment or anything, but I will look down upon their choices. It would be a me problem in the end, but I would not think highly on the person.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Kufiyas - April 2nd 2017, 02:35 PM

Oh my gosh! I love scarfs and I love the style of an kufiyas (i wasn't sure of the name till now, only how they look) I find them to be fashionably awesome! I adore scarfs and if I really wanted to I could own hundreds of different ones!

Before I never knew the history of that particular scarf before, I like it because of how it looks, the designs, and it fits my personality and it is something I would wear myself.

I like many different types of scarfs. I like those really big ones that you can also use as a blanket. How cool is that?

I love scarfs!

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread