TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 10:02 AM

I've got to go to college tomorrow and before anyone tells me to look at the school's dress code, they actually don't really have one. It just says to make sure your outfit is clean and neat. I want to wear a Fall Out Boy shirt and it's kind of big on me, it goes down to maybe mid-thigh because I just like oversized T-shirts. And then under that, I was just going to wear black leggings as well. But I don't know if that's appropriate…like maybe the shirt's too short? And I don't know if people just wear leggings as pants, usually I see them under dresses or shorts but I only have one dress and I wore it last time I went to class. I don't want to wear the same thing two classes in a row I could maybe look for some shorts but then I worry that's too much...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Article Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 12:48 PM

When you go to College there isn't dress codes because everyone is an adult. You can wear what you feel comfortable in. The shirt and leggings sounds like a really comfy outfit.

People wear leggings for different things. Sometimes they wear it as is with a shirt they enjoy. Leggings are pants from my point of view. Others like wearing them under pants in colder months, with dresses or skirts or even workout clothing. It all depends on the person.

Wear what you feel comfortable in. You can choose what to wear without guidelines.

Senior Article Editor - Mind and Body | Join the Artcles Team
Newsletter Editor
Resource Editor
Forum Mod - Substance Use, Lifestyle, Current Events and Debates

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 03:27 PM

Hello,

I agree with the above poster, most colleges that I have been to or heard about do not tend to have any type of dress code. A lot of the reason for that, at least within the USA, is because when people are in college they tend to be adults. It is possible that some colleges have a dress code but if they did they would have the dress code easily accessible to new and returning students. Since it doesn't seem like the college you are attending says much about how they want you to dress it is likely that they will care that much about what you wear.

I know I have seen a lot of people who wear leggings to my old college and nothing has been said. The cool thing about college is that you tend to be able to wear the things that make you most comfortable.

Best regards.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ayurnamat. Offline
✞Faith can move mountains✞

Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 03:57 PM

Hey there!

I’m not sure where you live but where I am in Canada we don’t have a dress code per say. However, we’re expected to not wear anything that is extremely revealing (clubbing clothes) or laced with profanity/derogatory words or sayings. I’ve only seen someone be asked to leave from my class once because they were wearing a very derogatory saying on their shirt.

I think the outfit you were planning on wearing is fine! I wear leggings with shirts all the time and so do a lot of people.

I hope this helps. Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 05:38 PM

that actually sounds like the opposite of an outfit that would be inappropriate. I think that's a great comfortable outfit.
and if leggings aren't supposed to be worn alone then I have been making a fool of myself for my entire life. In my opinion it's perfectly fine to wear leggings just as pants.

"You never know how STRONG you are
until being strong is
your only choice."
-Bob Marley

follow me on instagram

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Aca-awkward Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 12th 2018, 08:45 PM

Hey,
So colleges usually don't have dress codes unless it is like a private christian college or something like that. Someone I know was going to go to one of those and she had to dress a certain way. Anyways that out fit is okay. At my college I have seen girls wearing shorts that are way to short and basically show there ass. Crop tops that stop right under their chest.

So my advice is just wear what you are comfortable in. When you are in college you are an adult so I think they figure that you don't need to be censored in what you wear like when you were in HS.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

I got my ticket for the long way ‘round
Two bottle ‘a whiskey for the way
And I sure would like some sweet company
And I’m leaving tomorrow, wha-do-ya say?

|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Is this appropriate? - February 15th 2018, 02:50 PM

i wear leggings in college that are hardly ever covered up and the only ones that make my stuff obvious is the pink ones as my mum mentioned but i did get a XXL jumper to wear with them.

Closed Thread