TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shypixietomboy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My mom won't let me be a tomboy? - February 19th 2019, 10:23 PM

I have never felt comfortable in girly or feminine clothing or makeup. I hate it. It makes me so anxious and uncomfortable. I feel stressed and frustrated whenever I have to pick out what to wear. And I feel like I'm faking to be someone I'm not when I wear makeup.

My mom puts a lot of pressure on me to be feminine. She forces me to wear makeup and dress girly.

I am tomboyish in my personality and I feel more masculine than feminine.
I have asked my mom several times if I could wear guys clothing. But she gets angry and she won't allow me to.

It's making me depressed not being able to wear what I want to. How can I dress like a tomboy? How could I make girly clothing look more boyish? Are there any clothing styles similar to tomboy style that I could wear? Help me. I don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tigereyes Online
I can't get enough

Re: My mom won't let me be a tomboy? - February 21st 2019, 02:42 PM

Hey, I don't have a lot of advice for you, but I want you to know that you're not alone in your experiences. My mom was very similar, constantly pushing me to wear clothes I hated and force me to wear make up and nail polish and stuff I had no interest in. She always told me that I'd change my mind when I got older, and nothing has been further from the truth. Going to college away from my parents is primarily what gave me the freedom to express myself how I wanted. But while living with your parents, you can consider looking at more gender-neutral clothes. I love t-shirts and jeans for that reason, and I'd suggest trying to shop with open-minded friends, rather than your mom.
A lot of masculine slim, skinny, and athletic fit clothes are a good option. Athletic fit or "boyfriend" feminine clothes can be a good option too. Also you could shop for less feminine colors, such as black, gray, blue, green, and brown. Consider ordering clothes online if you can't find what you like in stores.

As far as make up, I just told my mom that she'd be wasting money on makeup that I wouldn't wear, and she couldn't force me because I'd just take it off again as soon as I was alone. Said that if I got interested in it later, I could buy it later when I'm interested (I'm still not).

Good luck, and ultimately I hope you are eventually able to wear whatever you want, without needing to consider your mom's opinion.

"Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful..." ~Sixx:A.M.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: My mom won't let me be a tomboy? - February 21st 2019, 07:23 PM

Hello,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. No matter what style of clothing you wear you always want to be comfortable in the style. Would you be okay with wearing jeans and tennis shoes and t-shirts or jeans or khaki pants and a long sleeve shirt? I'm not saying you have to wear pinks and purples. You can wear greens or blues or any other colors that you like to have on. Another thing that you can do is that you can go to a clothing store and grab different outfits and try them on, and see what you like and what makes you feel comfortable and go with that style. You can also have the people who work in the clothing store help you pick out different outfits. I do this with my friends when we go to the mall and it is fun when we are not sure what we want to get. You can also try talking to your mom about how you do not like wearing dresses, skirts or pinks and purples, let her know that you don't feel comfortable wearing them. I wish you the best wish this and hope that you are able to find something that you like.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor and Forum Moderator. PM/VM

Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life. Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

Closed Thread